Singapore Expats

GST going up...to 9%

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

GST going up...to 9%

Post by abbby » Fri, 28 Jan 2022 9:44 am

What are your thoughts? Looks like cost of living looking to go up as well almost everything has GST. ](*,)
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: GST going up...to 9%

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 28 Jan 2022 10:52 am

Ridiculous
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 28 Jan 2022 1:21 pm

abbby wrote:
Fri, 28 Jan 2022 9:44 am
What are your thoughts? Looks like cost of living looking to go up as well almost everything has GST. ](*,)
If GST goes up, salaries should also go up.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 28 Jan 2022 1:21 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Fri, 28 Jan 2022 10:52 am
Ridiculous
Exactly. What’s next, double digits??

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 28 Jan 2022 1:59 pm

The UK is at a VAT of 20%.

It is a grossly unfair tax on the poor as the poor spend a higher proportion of their disposable income on GST than the richest
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 29 Jan 2022 12:51 am

PNGMK wrote:
Fri, 28 Jan 2022 1:59 pm
The UK is at a VAT of 20%.

It is a grossly unfair tax on the poor as the poor spend a higher proportion of their disposable income on GST than the richest
I’m well aware. Shocking to me that nothing was done to curb the tax rate before it reached such astounding levels. I’ve always believed that any taxation should be proportionate to income, but clearly Boris feels differently.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sat, 29 Jan 2022 4:15 pm

I must be slow today, it took me a few minutes to figure out what you meant by Boris. My mind fixated on Boris the Animal from MIB and I couldn’t make the connection 🤣

9% GST is high for Singapore, a city state that is often compared to Hong Kong, where it is 0%. Several states in the US have 0% sales tax, but on average it’s 6-7%, only one or two states have sales taxes reaching into the 9% level, and that’s limited to specific cities. In my home state it’s 6%, but groceries are 0%.

Singapore doesn’t like to run a deficit, and doesn’t even like to spend the investment returns made on past surpluses... I would venture to guess that Singapore is the most fiscally conservative country in the world.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 29 Jan 2022 10:42 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 29 Jan 2022 4:15 pm
I must be slow today, it took me a few minutes to figure out what you meant by Boris. My mind fixated on Boris the Animal from MIB and I couldn’t make the connection 🤣

9% GST is high for Singapore, a city state that is often compared to Hong Kong, where it is 0%. Several states in the US have 0% sales tax, but on average it’s 6-7%, only one or two states have sales taxes reaching into the 9% level, and that’s limited to specific cities. In my home state it’s 6%, but groceries are 0%.

Singapore doesn’t like to run a deficit, and doesn’t even like to spend the investment returns made on past surpluses... I would venture to guess that Singapore is the most fiscally conservative country in the world.
Are you from FL? It’s 6% there (my home state). I recall one poster mentioning they were from Sarasota or thereabouts but can’t remember if it was you. And as for Singapores fiscal conservatism, it goes with saying. Even the fiscal policy is called prudent fiscal policy, you know what to expect just from the name.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sun, 30 Jan 2022 2:24 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 29 Jan 2022 10:42 pm
malcontent wrote:

Are you from FL? It’s 6% there (my home state). I recall one poster mentioning they were from Sarasota or thereabouts but can’t remember if it was you. And as for Singapores fiscal conservatism, it goes with saying. Even the fiscal policy is called prudent fiscal policy, you know what to expect just from the name.
Nope, MI. My parents were snow birds and had been spending winters in PCB, FL each year for 3 decades, and I’ve visited them there several times. They are now in their mid-80’s and starting to slow down. The last time I was in FL we drove to Miami, checked out South Beach and Key Biscayne. I really enjoyed Pollo Tropical (they don’t have those up north), an interesting Caribbean twist on fast food.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 30 Jan 2022 7:39 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 30 Jan 2022 2:24 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
malcontent wrote:

Nope, MI. My parents were snow birds and had been spending winters in PCB, FL each year for 3 decades, and I’ve visited them there several times. They are now in their mid-80’s and starting to slow down. The last time I was in FL we drove to Miami, checked out South Beach and Key Biscayne. I really enjoyed Pollo Tropical (they don’t have those up north), an interesting Caribbean twist on fast food.
I see! I’m actually from Miami. Pollo Tropical is not really my thing, the only redeeming factor would be the fact that they often operate out of drive thrus, so it’s a really great and convenient way to get a cheap, relatively healthy meal.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sun, 30 Jan 2022 10:09 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 30 Jan 2022 7:39 pm
malcontent wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:

I see! I’m actually from Miami. Pollo Tropical is not really my thing, the only redeeming factor would be the fact that they often operate out of drive thrus, so it’s a really great and convenient way to get a cheap, relatively healthy meal.
Yep, when I’m on the road, a cheap, relatively healthy meal is all that I need.

But have to admit, I was also drawn to the ethnic and slightly ghetto vibe of the place!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 31 Jan 2022 2:22 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 30 Jan 2022 10:09 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
malcontent wrote:

But have to admit, I was also drawn to the ethnic and slightly ghetto vibe of the place!
I wouldn’t call it ghetto… maybe some of the inner areas. I will say thought that you are right about the ethnic feel, you can definitely see a lot of the Latin American esp Cuban influence in the food, music, art, architecture.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 31 Jan 2022 7:19 pm

Parts of Tampa are much the same, especially down in Ybor City / Tampa area. Used to be the centre of the cigar industry in Florida. One of the best Restaurants in all the trips down to Tampa & Plant city is Carmine's Restaurant & Bar in Ybor City. Tampa is considered the home of the Cuban Sandwich. The rivalry between Tampa and Miami been going on for a lot of years, but Tampa wins hands down. Cuban bread baked with the palmetto frond strips in the batter is unbeatable.
https://www.seriouseats.com/cuban-sandwich-history

And yes, I like mine 'pressed'.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 01 Feb 2022 6:00 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 31 Jan 2022 2:22 pm
malcontent wrote:
Sun, 30 Jan 2022 10:09 pm
Lisafuller wrote:

I wouldn’t call it ghetto… maybe some of the inner areas. I will say thought that you are right about the ethnic feel, you can definitely see a lot of the Latin American esp Cuban influence in the food, music, art, architecture.
Oh, not Miami itself, I’m saying Pollo Tropical has a slightly ghetto vibe, but I can dig that.

Miami was awesome, although we didn’t spend much time there — it has a nice laid back feeling, but did strike me a little as a “see and be seen” kind of place — at least that was my impression in the few areas we explored. I remember we stopped off at the Aventura Mall and have to say, we were a bit disappointed. We were expecting it would be something like South Coast Plaza in Orange County, definitely a far cry from that.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Fri, 18 Feb 2022 11:06 pm

Were y’all hibernating when it was announced way back in 2018 that the GST will be increased?

Based on the latest budget news in parliament, it’ll be a gradual hike to 8% in 2023 and then 9% in 2024.