Singapore Expats

PR Approval Probability 2021

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
jgreen22

Re: PR Approval Probability 2021

Post by jgreen22 » Fri, 28 Jan 2022 4:40 pm

I just hit my 6 month mark in SG. I know my chance is pretty slim. Is it even worth trying to apply for pr? Like a 5% chance?

Current Profile:
• Race: Chinese
• Marital Status: Single
• Education: Top university in the US
• Industry: Big tech
• Position: Software engineer
• Pass: Employment Pass
• Salary: 20k monthly

My main reason for applying so early is because I am thinking of starting a company with some friends here in sg. Having a pr makes it alot easier and I feel alot more stable in case things don't go well.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 28 Jan 2022 9:43 pm

jgreen22 wrote:
Fri, 28 Jan 2022 4:40 pm
I just hit my 6 month mark in SG. I know my chance is pretty slim. Is it even worth trying to apply for pr? Like a 5% chance?

Current Profile:

My main reason for applying so early is because I am thinking of starting a company with some friends here in sg. Having a pr makes it alot easier and I feel alot more stable in case things don't go well.
Where are you from?

My high level guess is very very low chance as high salary and short stay in SG.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 29 Jan 2022 1:01 am

jgreen22 wrote:

Current Profile:

Like SF says chances are very slim now. Your best bet would be to wait at least a year or two before applying. At least then you would have had a substantial duration of stay in SG which will look much better than a high income expat who could take flight anytime.

the observer
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by the observer » Sat, 29 Jan 2022 10:45 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 29 Jan 2022 1:01 am
jgreen22 wrote:

Current Profile:

Like SF says chances are very slim now. Your best bet would be to wait at least a year or two before applying. At least then you would have had a substantial duration of stay in SG which will look much better than a high income expat who could take flight anytime.
Slim now, but better chance than other ethnic groups later on.

With TFR at 0.9 for the Chinese, there’s not many cards left on the table.

insomnia360

Post by insomnia360 » Sat, 29 Jan 2022 3:43 pm

Hi guys, I've read through a number of pages here, and felt that I might have made mistakes in applying for my wife PR too soon.

I'm not sure if this has bearing but here's my profile

Race: Local Indian
Nationality: Singaporean
Profession: Accountant
Salary: (current) 96K PA

Wife
Race: Indian
Nationality: India
Profession: HomeMaker
Married since: Feb 2020 in Singapore
Current Status: LTVP since June 2020

We just started trying for kids. Why I said I made a mistake was because I applied PR for her circa July 2021, when some posts here recommended to wait 2 years or more at least.. whereas it's only been a year and a half roughly when I applied. Also my salary when I applied was way lower, I was at a small singapore startup (42k p.a) with equity options, but since moved on from there.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Sat, 29 Jan 2022 5:51 pm

insomnia360 wrote:
Sat, 29 Jan 2022 3:43 pm
Hi guys, I've read through a number of pages here, and felt that I might have made mistakes in applying for my wife PR too soon.

Wife

We just started trying for kids. Why I said I made a mistake was because I applied PR for her circa July 2021, when some posts here recommended to wait 2 years or more at least.. whereas it's only been a year and a half roughly when I applied. Also my salary when I applied was way lower, I was at a small singapore startup (42k p.a) with equity options, but since moved on from there.
Update ICA on your latest salary.

insomnia360

Post by insomnia360 » Sat, 29 Jan 2022 9:20 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Sat, 29 Jan 2022 5:51 pm
Update ICA on your latest salary.
I'm not sure if there's an option to do so.. but I'll reach out to them via a feedback form to proffer changed employment package. Thanks for the advice!

But all in all, does the likelihood of being granted look towards the positive side? :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 29 Jan 2022 10:14 pm

The_Sunday_Studio wrote:
Sat, 01 Jan 2022 11:28 am
Hi all! Happy New Year!

Interesting topic here. Why would a loan impact the SC Application?

Curious if anybody knows what are the considerations ICA has.

Thanks.
This has been covered before but anyway, here goes.

Let's assume, for a moment, you received your PR and had an 18k/mo position, and a wife who was a housewife with a couple of school aged children. Now, lets assume you assimilated very well into local society and habits as well. This means there is a good chance you have purchased a condo that was way beyond your means and possibly a slew of maxed out credit cards as well as unsecured loans and you get hit with something like the pandemic we are currently faced with. Oops. That great job disappeared and along with it the salary that went with it and now all you have are offers of 8k/month because now you are no longer an EP holder so your next position will be on local terms. That sucks. But you are having a hard time finding a position and so you figure you better apply for SGC to be on the safe side. Generally, if I worked for ICA, I would want to know the applicants financial status as the country doesn't need somebody that potentially could end up belly up due to overwhelming debt that got out of control during the good times and now no way to repay. Ending up in bankruptcy or worse. Extreme? Yeah, I suppose so, but in the past 24 months the number of businesses that have had to close surely left a lot of folks deeply in the red. A lot of them might have be PRs with big plans and now, trying to figure out how to even remain here. The government can also refuse to renew an REP if the think it is in their interests. The government here always leaves the table with the cards in their favour.

Of course, everyone will say I'm not that kind of person, but ICA doesn't know that and they aren't going to gamble an more than they have to. If one looks like an overextended financial risk they shouldn't take the chance, but should cut their potential loses. And no, ICA does not, ever, in the 40 years I've been here, divulge their scorecard when reviewing applications. Do so would give rise to receiving tailor made applications.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kt1987

Post by kt1987 » Sat, 29 Jan 2022 10:45 pm

Thinking of applying for PR in a few months, looking forward to your thoughts:

Nationality: Indian
Single
Years in Singapore: 9+ years
Education: Bachelors of marketing from India
Current salary: $20k per month excluding bonus, stocks, everything else (started at 4k per month 9 years ago and gradually worked my way up to 20k today)
Job: Tech product management/marketing - Changed jobs only once since I moved to SG which was last month

Do recommendation letters help? because I have the potential to obtain some pretty reputable recommendation letters which I've never done before. These would be equal to CEO & CFO of home grown companies and unicorns/MNC's that I've worked with in the past and offered to to write once I apply again.

first applied in March 2020 - rejected in 5 months (when salary was about 8.5k)
second application in Jan 2021 - rejected in 5 months (when salary was about 11k)

thinking of applying in June 2022 (6 months after my new job/20k salary)
Last edited by kt1987 on Sun, 30 Jan 2022 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 29 Jan 2022 10:47 pm

insomnia360 wrote:
Sat, 29 Jan 2022 3:43 pm

Wife

Congrats on the raise, it’s definitely significant enough for you to need to update the ICA. Income is a funny thing in the immigration process- make too little and the government will see you as a liability, but make too much and the government will see you as a loose cannon who may leave anytime.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 29 Jan 2022 10:49 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sat, 29 Jan 2022 10:14 pm
The_Sunday_Studio wrote:
Sat, 01 Jan 2022 11:28 am
Hi all! Happy New Year!

Interesting topic here. Why would a loan impact the SC Application?

Curious if anybody knows what are the considerations ICA has.

Thanks.
This has been covered before but anyway, here goes.

Let's assume, for a moment, you received your PR and had an 18k/mo position, and a wife who was a housewife with a couple of school aged children. Now, lets assume you assimilated very well into local society and habits as well. This means there is a good chance you have purchased a condo that was way beyond your means and possibly a slew of maxed out credit cards as well as unsecured loans and you get hit with something like the pandemic we are currently faced with. Oops. That great job disappeared and along with it the salary that went with it and now all you have are offers of 8k/month because now you are no longer an EP holder so your next position will be on local terms. That sucks. But you are having a hard time finding a position and so you figure you better apply for SGC to be on the safe side. Generally, if I worked for ICA, I would want to know the applicants financial status as the country doesn't need somebody that potentially could end up belly up due to overwhelming debt that got out of control during the good times and now no way to repay. Ending up in bankruptcy or worse. Extreme? Yeah, I suppose so, but in the past 24 months the number of businesses that have had to close surely left a lot of folks deeply in the red. A lot of them might have be PRs with big plans and now, trying to figure out how to even remain here. The government can also refuse to renew an REP if the think it is in their interests. The government here always leaves the table with the cards in their favour.

Of course, everyone will say I'm not that kind of person, but ICA doesn't know that and they aren't going to gamble an more than they have to. If one looks like an overextended financial risk they shouldn't take the chance, but should cut their potential loses. And no, ICA does not, ever, in the 40 years I've been here, divulge their scorecard when reviewing applications. Do so would give rise to receiving tailor made applications.
So interesting, I just wish I could take a peek into their classified docs and find out what exactly they are looking for.

insomnia360

Post by insomnia360 » Sat, 29 Jan 2022 11:04 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 29 Jan 2022 10:47 pm
Congrats on the raise, it’s definitely significant enough for you to need to update the ICA. Income is a funny thing in the immigration process- make too little and the government will see you as a liability, but make too much and the government will see you as a loose cannon who may leave anytime.
I'm Singaporean, I'm not going to leave. :wink:

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 30 Jan 2022 1:06 am

insomnia360 wrote:
Sat, 29 Jan 2022 11:04 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 29 Jan 2022 10:47 pm
I'm Singaporean, I'm not going to leave. :wink:
I know, and hope your wife gets granted PR. Was just commenting on the way income is viewed in the immigration process, not immediately related to you. Best of luck to her.

AussieCh

Post by AussieCh » Sun, 30 Jan 2022 12:55 pm

Happy Chinese New Year to everyone. Good luck in the year of Tiger.

My application (whole family) just got "APPR0VED" on the ICA website today. ICA working on Saturday and Sunday, interesting, maybe they want to clear workload before going on a peaceful big Chinese New Year holiday. And my kid will just turn to 21 years of age tomorrow, I guess they need get it approved before that. or just coincident? Thanks ICA.

Big thanks to SF, always genuine and professional feedbacks to each case. And he is 99.9% correct. Also, reading SMS's message was always amusing, sometimes could be cruel to someone but really to the point. Thanks for sharing your experience, it certainly makes this forum very interesting.

By the way, I was born in 1969. So, age maybe a downside, but certainly not impossible. :D
=D> :-k

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 30 Jan 2022 5:03 pm

AussieCh wrote:
Sun, 30 Jan 2022 12:55 pm
Happy Chinese New Year to everyone. Good luck in the year of Tiger.

My application (whole family) just got "APPR0VED" on the ICA website today. ICA working on Saturday and Sunday, interesting, maybe they want to clear workload before going on a peaceful big Chinese New Year holiday. And my kid will just turn to 21 years of age tomorrow, I guess they need get it approved before that. or just coincident? Thanks ICA.

Big thanks to SF, always genuine and professional feedbacks to each case. And he is 99.9% correct. Also, reading SMS's message was always amusing, sometimes could be cruel to someone but really to the point. Thanks for sharing your experience, it certainly makes this forum very interesting.

By the way, I was born in 1969. So, age maybe a downside, but certainly not impossible. :D

Congrats, the application would have been approved few days ago, you see the update a few days later after the System is automatically updated :) ICA surely won't work on Sunday for this.