Singapore Expats

Remote working situation for dependent pass holders

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
hx2022

Remote working situation for dependent pass holders

Post by hx2022 » Wed, 26 Jan 2022 8:20 pm

Hi Everyone,

Posting my personal situation here hoping to find some advice / people who have gone through the same thing.

I am currently in Singapore on employment pass, and my husband is employed in the US. We want to get a dependent pass for him to be able to visit me (however he will still be staying in Singapore for less than 6 months out of a year). He plans to keep his job as a software engineer for his US employer. The employer is a global company but the legal entity of his contract is US-based, and has no business in Singapore.

Would this be feasible? We are fine to pay income taxes in Singapore however it should be assessed, but just want to make sure we are not breaking any employment law here.

Thank you very much in advance for your help and support!
Last edited by hx2022 on Thu, 27 Jan 2022 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Remote working situation for dependent pass holders

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 27 Jan 2022 1:44 am

Don’t see why this would be an issue. If his work is based in the US and he’s paying US taxes, there should be no problem with him staying here and working remotely.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 27 Jan 2022 10:44 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 27 Jan 2022 1:44 am
Don’t see why this would be an issue. If his work is based in the US and he’s paying US taxes, there should be no problem with him staying here and working remotely.
On A DP - you are not allowed to work. Not sure if remote work will violate this.

hx2022

Post by hx2022 » Thu, 27 Jan 2022 11:06 am

For anyone wondering - I called MoM and they said this situation is acceptable, as long as we pay the taxes due in Singapore. Also make sure the dependent pass holder's job does not interfere with local business at all - not meeting clients, not signing contracts in SG.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 27 Jan 2022 11:26 am

hx2022 wrote:
Thu, 27 Jan 2022 11:06 am
For anyone wondering - I called MoM and they said this situation is acceptable, as long as we pay the taxes due in Singapore. Also make sure the dependent pass holder's job does not interfere with local business at all - not meeting clients, not signing contracts in SG.
Better to get this in writing over an email to make things safe.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 28 Jan 2022 1:53 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Thu, 27 Jan 2022 10:44 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 27 Jan 2022 1:44 am
On A DP - you are not allowed to work. Not sure if remote work will violate this.
I know, my thought was that since the work was not being done in SG it would not be in violation.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 28 Jan 2022 1:55 am

hx2022 wrote:
Thu, 27 Jan 2022 11:06 am
Very good that you went ahead to confirm, this was what I had in mind. As long as the business is not being done in SG I can’t imagine any issues.

sahilgujral

Post by sahilgujral » Mon, 21 Nov 2022 11:19 am

Can you please share the link or the mail received by MOM?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Nov 2022 2:46 pm

sahilgujral wrote:
Mon, 21 Nov 2022 11:19 am
Can you please share the link or the mail received by MOM?
Did you, at the very least, take the time to read the thread? If you did you will understand why nobody has replied. Did you use 'Google' to get here? :-k Your photo could be thought of as being accurate. To laid back/lazy to do anything for yourself.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers