Singapore Expats

Latest property cooling measurements, what are your thoughts?

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Latest property cooling measurements, what are your thoughts?

Post by abbby » Thu, 16 Dec 2021 8:12 pm

Quite a huge increase in ABSD for 2nd, 3 rd properties...and also foreigners and corporate entities ABSD have gone up significantly. More people will now buy in trust..?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Latest property cooling measurements, what are your thoughts?

Post by malcontent » Sun, 19 Dec 2021 2:54 pm

In the same way the pool atop Marina Bay Sands is kept uncomfortably cold in order to prevent overcrowding, cooling measures are there to temper demand.

Without a fundamental shift in supply or demand, ABSD is here to stay and will keep increasing as property prices increase.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Sun, 19 Dec 2021 5:55 pm

Ya just looks like ABSD is here to stay..and increasing over time..so people go rush and buy just making things worse.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

tt1973
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tt1973 » Sun, 19 Dec 2021 11:14 pm

IMO, 30% ABSD for foreigners (non-PR) is very hash as the percent of foreigners buying properties are already less than 5%.

Properties in the central region will be harder I guess.

Give it few months to a year and see how the market forces react to this new norm.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 20 Dec 2021 3:05 am

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 19 Dec 2021 2:54 pm
In the same way the pool atop Marina Bay Sands is kept uncomfortably cold in order to prevent overcrowding, cooling measures are there to temper demand.

Without a fundamental shift in supply or demand, ABSD is here to stay and will keep increasing as property prices increase.
Easiest way to prevent the creation of an unwanted property bubble. Don’t want a repeat of the AFC.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 21 Dec 2021 1:11 am

tt1973 wrote:
Sun, 19 Dec 2021 11:14 pm
IMO, 30% ABSD for foreigners (non-PR) is very hash as the percent of foreigners buying properties are already less than 5%.

Give it few months to a year and see how the market forces react to this new norm.
Logically, they should differentiate between foreigners with immigration status who have a genuine need for housing. Same thing for local school fees, they should differentiate between foreigners who are residents versus non-residents, but they don’t. This is probably because they think foreigners are supposed to rent and send their kids to International School.

Unlike most countries, being a resident and paying taxes here matters naught.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 21 Dec 2021 1:12 am

[duplicate post deleted]

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Tue, 21 Dec 2021 1:28 am

malcontent wrote:
In the same way the pool atop Marina Bay Sands is kept uncomfortably cold in order to prevent overcrowding...
An interesting factoid. Is it actually true? From what I can tell, it is simply unheated, relying upon the sun for warmth.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowTopi ... apore.html

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 21 Dec 2021 6:48 am

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Tue, 21 Dec 2021 1:28 am
malcontent wrote:
In the same way the pool atop Marina Bay Sands is kept uncomfortably cold in order to prevent overcrowding...
An interesting factoid. Is it actually true? From what I can tell, it is simply unheated, relying upon the sun for warmth.

I’m not sure about the accuracy of that statement, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it were true. There are many sneaky ways of crowd control.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 21 Dec 2021 6:49 am

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 21 Dec 2021 1:11 am
tt1973 wrote:
Sun, 19 Dec 2021 11:14 pm

Logically, they should differentiate between foreigners with immigration status who have a genuine need for housing. Same thing for local school fees, they should differentiate between foreigners who are residents versus non-residents, but they don’t. This is probably because they think foreigners are supposed to rent and send their kids to International School.

Unlike most countries, being a resident and paying taxes here matters naught.
Completely agree, there’s a huge difference between a foreigner buying to occupy and for investment, so there should be a similar difference in cost.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 22 Dec 2021 10:59 am

Myasis Dragon wrote:
malcontent wrote:

I speak from experience… unless it was just a coincidence on the day I was there… the water in the pool was abnormally frigid, and I grew up on Lake Michigan! The water temperature kept all but the hardiest out (around a dozen at any given time), and most couldn’t stand it for long, including me.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 23 Dec 2021 1:41 am

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 22 Dec 2021 10:59 am
Myasis Dragon wrote:
malcontent wrote:

I speak from experience… unless it was just a coincidence on the day I was there… the water in the pool was abnormally frigid, and I grew up on Lake Michigan! The water temperature kept all but the hardiest out (around a dozen at any given time), and most couldn’t stand it for long, including me.
Perhaps the heater was down or the sun wasn’t out on this particular day? https://www.google.com.sg/url?sa=t&rct= ... HL2GvXTKVJ Watched this video awhile back, shows the behind the scenes of running the MBS infinity pool, an interesting watch.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 25 Dec 2021 1:16 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 23 Dec 2021 1:41 am

Perhaps the heater was down or the sun wasn’t out on this particular day? https://www.google.com.sg/url?sa=t&rct= ... HL2GvXTKVJ Watched this video awhile back, shows the behind the scenes of running the MBS infinity pool, an interesting watch.
I think you may have uncovered a possible answer. It sounds like they completely replace all of the water at night, therefore any residual heat from the previous day would have been eliminated. When I was there it was still early in the day and there may not have been enough time for the sun to heat it up yet. Again, it’s just one possibility, but also note I was there only about a year after it had opened, things could have changed between then and now.

The reason I was there is because we got a staycation deal at the time, $200/night, with 5 of us in one room and we all got free access to the infinity pool — seemed like a deal.

The strangest thing in the room at MBS was the mini-bar fridge had this electronic sensor that would auto-charge if you removed anything. I always remove things or move things around so I can put in my own refrigerated items. So I purposely triggered every single item in the fridge so that there would be no way for them to slip it past us when we checked out. It definitely raised eyebrows, and they were forced to ask if we used anything from the minibar - to which we said no. I was prepared to explain that their system is not child proof!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 26 Dec 2021 2:11 am

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 25 Dec 2021 1:16 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 23 Dec 2021 1:41 am

I think you may have uncovered a possible answer. It sounds like they completely replace all of the water at night, therefore any residual heat from the previous day would have been eliminated. When I was there it was still early in the day and there may not have been enough time for the sun to heat it up yet. Again, it’s just one possibility, but also note I was there only about a year after it had opened, things could have changed between then and now.

The reason I was there is because we got a staycation deal at the time, $200/night, with 5 of us in one room and we all got free access to the infinity pool — seemed like a deal.

The strangest thing in the room at MBS was the mini-bar fridge had this electronic sensor that would auto-charge if you removed anything. I always remove things or move things around so I can put in my own refrigerated items. So I purposely triggered every single item in the fridge so that there would be no way for them to slip it past us when we checked out. It definitely raised eyebrows, and they were forced to ask if we used anything from the minibar - to which we said no. I was prepared to explain that their system is not child proof!
Your point about the mini-bar is actually something I’ve noticed before. Honestly, I feel like it really takes away from the experience. You would think that in a hotel as lux as MBS where you’re already paying so much, they wouldn’t fuss over little things, and would just include it. But then, doing so would mean they couldn’t grossly overcharge you for those worthless canned drinks.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Sun, 26 Dec 2021 11:59 am

I stayed at the Bangkok Kempinski a few times and always forgot the minibar was all inclusive….

Agreed the MBS pool is a bit chilly, was there 3 years back. Had to go in and out of the hot tub.

Would agree on changing the water every night given the amount of heavy petting going on…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more