Singapore Expats

Covid numbers are still high

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
smoulder
Editor
Editor

Re: Covid numbers are still high

Post by smoulder » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 5:34 pm

[Sent by Gov.sg – 22 Sep]

As of 21 Sep 2021, 12pm, 1,109 COVID-19 cases are warded in hospital. There are 147 cases of serious illness requiring oxygen supplementation and 17 in the ICU.

Over the last 28 days, of the infected individuals, 97.9% have mild or no symptoms, 1.9% requires oxygen supplementation, 0.2% requires ICU care, and 0.06% has died.

As of 20 Sep, 82% of our population has completed their full regimen/received 2 doses of vaccines, and 84% has received at least one dose.

As of 21 Sep, there are 1,178 new cases in Singapore.

go.gov.sg/moh210921
They should probably include stats on how many of the seriously ill are unvaccinated.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 5:43 pm

They were up through the 15th of Sept. This was the last post from Gov.sg that gave specific info for unvaxxed but not actual numbers although it could be figured out.

[Sent by Gov.sg – 16 Sep]

As of 15 Sep 2021, 12pm, 822 COVID-19 cases are warded in hospital. There are 76 cases of serious illness requiring oxygen supplementation and 9 in the ICU.

Over the last 28 days, among the infected persons, the percentage of unvaccinated who became severely ill or died is 5.7%, while that for the fully vaccinated is 1.1%.

As of 14 Sep, 81% of our population has completed their full regimen/received 2 doses of vaccines, and 84% has received at least one dose.

As of 15 Sep, there are 807 new cases in Singapore.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the observer
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by the observer » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 5:51 pm

The only question in my mind

What’s the number of annual deaths from flu before covid came about, in the US.

What’s the annual number of deaths from covid, now that there’s vaccinations

Can hence make a simple deduction on whether treating this virus as endemic will result in a similar death ratio, or a lot worse.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 8:17 pm

the observer wrote:
Wed, 22 Sep 2021 5:51 pm

Can hence make a simple deduction on whether treating this virus as endemic will result in a similar death ratio, or a lot worse.
If I remember correctly the death rate for common influenza is ca 3-4 orders of magnitude lower (e.g. XX per 100k).

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Sep 2021 1:16 am

Some years are worse than other. Not everybody get the annual flu vaccine. I've never had one. But just like Covid, it's mostly the elderly and those with underlying issues. Sama-sama.
Flu deaths in US pa.jpg
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 23 Sep 2021 1:31 am

the observer wrote:
Wed, 22 Sep 2021 5:51 pm

Not sure that would return a very accurate result, COVID seems to be significantly more contagious than the common flu, but of course I could be wrong.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 23 Sep 2021 1:33 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 23 Sep 2021 1:16 am
Some years are worse than other. Not everybody get the annual flu vaccine. I've never had one. But just like Covid, it's mostly the elderly and those with underlying issues. Sama-sama.
Flu deaths in US pa.jpg
You’ve never gotten the flu vaccine? Why not? In my mind the flu is one of the most preventable illnesses.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 23 Sep 2021 1:38 am

Wed, 22 Sep 2021 5:43 pm
They were up through the 15th of Sept. This was the last post from Gov.sg that gave specific info for unvaxxed but not actual numbers although it could be figured out.

[Sent by Gov.sg – 16 Sep]

As of 15 Sep 2021, 12pm, 822 COVID-19 cases are warded in hospital. There are 76 cases of serious illness requiring oxygen supplementation and 9 in the ICU.

Over the last 28 days, among the infected persons, the percentage of unvaccinated who became severely ill or died is 5.7%, while that for the fully vaccinated is 1.1%.

As of 14 Sep, 81% of our population has completed their full regimen/received 2 doses of vaccines, and 84% has received at least one dose.

As of 15 Sep, there are 807 new cases in Singapore.
The trend makes no sense to me- if the number of vaccinated is increasing, why are the number of cases increasing so disproportionately?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Sep 2021 1:58 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 23 Sep 2021 1:33 am
Flu deaths in US pa.jpg
You’ve never gotten the flu vaccine? Why not? In my mind the flu is one of the most preventable illnesses.
Don't need one. Seriously. I've never had so much as a cold since I was six years old. I've never missed a day's work or military service for illness (after missing 2.5 straight months of school when I was 6 - all the common childhood illnesses in succession/overlapped). I swore I'd never get sick again. And I haven't. Although I've been on medical leave for preventable things (like kidney stones due to gout (controlled easily by diet). Or being blown up in explosions with massive burns (1st time on an Oil Rig - 30% body burns - never took pain meds - was famous in the burn clinic). But my immune system works at full capacity all the time. I had dengue in July 2020 but didn't have any symptoms (normal dengue symptoms) I went to a poly clinic because I was have icepick headaches and they were keeping me awake so they did 2 blood tests on Monday and asked me to come back on Friday morning for the results. I had another blood test Fri morning before seeing the doc. But the headaches stopped the night before. Doc say, well, it doesn't matter now as your blood count is clear, but the previous blood test had you with dengue. I'd been having the headache for about 5 or 6 days and add the 4 days from Monday, Guess what. That 10 days is the normal length of time for dengue. Suffice it to say, my birth probably had lot to do with my general resistance to illnesses and to the abnormally high pain threshold.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 23 Sep 2021 2:12 am

Thu, 23 Sep 2021 1:58 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Flu deaths in US pa.jpg
Don't need one. Seriously. I've never had so much as a cold since I was six years old. I've never missed a day's work or military service for illness (after missing 2.5 straight months of school when I was 6 - all the common childhood illnesses in succession/overlapped). I swore I'd never get sick again. And I haven't. Although I've been on medical leave for preventable things (like kidney stones due to gout (controlled easily by diet). Or being blown up in explosions with massive burns (1st time on an Oil Rig - 30% body burns - never took pain meds - was famous in the burn clinic). But my immune system works at full capacity all the time. I had dengue in July 2020 but didn't have any symptoms (normal dengue symptoms) I went to a poly clinic because I was have icepick headaches and they were keeping me awake so they did 2 blood tests on Monday and asked me to come back on Friday morning for the results. I had another blood test Fri morning before seeing the doc. But the headaches stopped the night before. Doc say, well, it doesn't matter now as your blood count is clear, but the previous blood test had you with dengue. I'd been having the headache for about 5 or 6 days and add the 4 days from Monday, Guess what. That 10 days is the normal length of time for dengue. Suffice it to say, my birth probably had lot to do with my general resistance to illnesses and to the abnormally high pain threshold.
Wow, oil burns?! Must have been unbearably painful… sounds like you’ve lead quite a life. Unfortunately the younger generation is not nearly as hardy, most take a paracetamol or ibuprofen even before any symptoms emerge.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Thu, 23 Sep 2021 9:15 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 23 Sep 2021 2:12 am
Wow, oil burns?! Must have been unbearably painful… sounds like you’ve lead quite a life.
Chuck Norris' biggest fear is SMS.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Thu, 23 Sep 2021 11:44 am

Addadude wrote:
Thu, 23 Sep 2021 9:15 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 23 Sep 2021 2:12 am
Wow, oil burns?! Must have been unbearably painful… sounds like you’ve lead quite a life.
Chuck Norris' biggest fear is SMS.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Thu, 23 Sep 2021 12:35 pm

Thu, 23 Sep 2021 1:58 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Flu deaths in US pa.jpg
You are like Bruce Willis in that movie Unbreakable.

An interesting question is whether the changes occurred at the genetic level and whether you passed that on to your kids.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Sep 2021 1:24 pm

Mal, you raise a good point. While my kids are pretty resistant to things like the flu & common colds, my wife isn't. It would appear, in hindsight that you may be right. Not to the level that I have because mine is not genetic but induced by unconscious mind control (survival instinct when I was born as I wasn't supposed to survive my first month) and consciously reinforced when I missed that 2.5 months illness when I was six. The mind is a powerful thing if you know how to control it. The pain threshold is a different story. That might be genetic or also as a result of my birth issues. My kids would come home from school with the sniffles but usually by the next morning they were right so if my created internal strength became genetic I suppose there might be a possibility when compared to their peers when they were in school.

Sadly I'm NOT unbreakable, but therein lies the problem (and it IS a problem) with such a high pain threshold, which I don't control unless I can see damage. The doctors in the burn clinic in Baton Rouge told me that after watching me from the time of my arrival via helicopter/ambulance and me step out of the ambulance and not on a gurney (whole right side of my body from waist to head and from backbone to sternum was burned). I never had anything for pain and I never went into shock and just baffled them to no end. But he told me later that what I possessed could turn out to be a cursed blessing due to the fact I'd not be aware of internal injuries unless there was something physical I could see externally.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Sep 2021 1:41 pm

So, back to Covid. Yes, I'm fully vaxxed + booster. I don't know how covid will affect me, but that's not the reason why I've opted to get it all. Vaxxing will not stop you from catching it, but it might make it relatively minor in the overall scope of things and it might stop me from infecting others as I will probably be able to carry a heavier viral load without showing symptoms. That could be dangerous for my wife and kids/g.kids. I surely don't want that.