Singapore Expats

11 years in Singapore - PR Rejected

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
the observer
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: 11 years in Singapore - PR Rejected

Post by the observer » Mon, 06 Sep 2021 10:36 am

PartyLike-A-Russian wrote:
Mon, 06 Sep 2021 10:19 am
the observer wrote:
Mon, 06 Sep 2021 9:51 am
Mon, 06 Sep 2021 9:49 am

Hmm... A few here suggested the opposite. Stressing on staying in Indian enclaves as a negative factor.

You get brownie points for attempting to integrate.
How living in an enclave is construed is up to ICA
Sorry, English is not my mother tongue. So I didn't quite get the meaning of "brownie points".
You were being sarcastic and suggested that any integration efforts were useless? The definition of "brownie points" on Wikipedia made me think so https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownie_points:

Brownie points in modern usage are an imaginary social currency, which can be acquired by doing good deeds or earning favor in the eyes of another, often one's spouse.

https://www.strategygroup.gov.sg/media- ... ion-Policy

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 06 Sep 2021 12:11 pm

Mon, 06 Sep 2021 10:19 am
the observer wrote:
Mon, 06 Sep 2021 9:51 am
Mon, 06 Sep 2021 9:49 am

Hmm... A few here suggested the opposite. Stressing on staying in Indian enclaves as a negative factor.

You get brownie points for attempting to integrate.
How living in an enclave is construed is up to ICA
Sorry, English is not my mother tongue. So I didn't quite get the meaning of "brownie points".
You were being sarcastic and suggested that any integration efforts were useless? The definition of "brownie points" on Wikipedia made me think so https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownie_points:

Brownie points in modern usage are an imaginary social currency, which can be acquired by doing good deeds or earning favor in the eyes of another, often one's spouse.
I believe the use of brownie points was not intended to be sarcastic.

brownie points = things that “look good” in the eyes of the authorities here, and score you points that can’t be easily quantified.

Imaginary refers to the social currency, not to the act that earns you brownie points.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Mon, 06 Sep 2021 5:41 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Tue, 20 Jul 2021 11:55 pm
You mean with 600k a year income, you will finish your entire savings on a condo? I am also similar to you. Indian 41years old, wife is stay at home. I work in banking IT and my income is 100k, I came here in 2009 and my networth in 2009 was 30k SGD. Now my networth is now 1200k SGD, With your current annual income, you can hit my networth in just 2 years and buy a condo outright. Come'on man, what are you talking about?
1.2m? That's more than gross income in that period unless you had a paycut at some point. How did you manage that?
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 06 Sep 2021 7:39 pm

tiktok wrote:
Mon, 06 Sep 2021 5:41 pm
Wd40 wrote:
Tue, 20 Jul 2021 11:55 pm
You mean with 600k a year income, you will finish your entire savings on a condo? I am also similar to you. Indian 41years old, wife is stay at home. I work in banking IT and my income is 100k, I came here in 2009 and my networth in 2009 was 30k SGD. Now my networth is now 1200k SGD, With your current annual income, you can hit my networth in just 2 years and buy a condo outright. Come'on man, what are you talking about?
1.2m? That's more than gross income in that period unless you had a paycut at some point. How did you manage that?
Investment from what I know... No one should "save" by leaving their unspent salary in a savings account - that's pretty dumb.

Middlechild

Post by Middlechild » Tue, 07 Sep 2021 10:05 pm

Come across your post as I just had similar experience. 11 yrs in SG , 3 applications all rejected. I do feel a bit like I just got dumped by a boyfriend 😆 sharing my story to add to the stats.

We are mixed race couple, age 40, husband is European, I’m from SEAsian got a 7 yr old son born in SG, going to International School. We bought a condo many years back, own a car, we both work and our combined income is about 500k. We are in international company. We applied together and yes got rejected within 4 months. We do really like it here and hubby wants to convert to Singaporean at one point as he doesn’t want to leave hahaha.

Anyways, it seems we should give up and move on… unfortunately we do call this little red dot home but I guess our profile don’t fit in, so we had no choice but to respect that.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Sep 2021 12:45 am

Middlechild, unfortunately, you data doesn't give us fuel for our stats. Your husband is European. Is that English, French, German, Italian, Spanish or from one of the Eastern European countries or from a Scandinavian country. Likewise, are you from Malaysia, Indonesia, Myanmar, Cambodia, Philippines, Laos, Vietnam, Nepal, Ceylon, or India? All have a bearing on the stats and without that information, the rest of the data is useless.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 08 Sep 2021 9:12 am

Middlechild wrote:
Tue, 07 Sep 2021 10:05 pm
Come across your post as I just had similar experience. 11 yrs in SG , 3 applications all rejected. I do feel a bit like I just got dumped by a boyfriend 😆 sharing my story to add to the stats.

We are mixed race couple, age 40, husband is European, I’m from SEAsian got a 7 yr old son born in SG, going to International School. We bought a condo many years back, own a car, we both work and our combined income is about 500k. We are in international company. We applied together and yes got rejected within 4 months. We do really like it here and hubby wants to convert to Singaporean at one point as he doesn’t want to leave hahaha.

Anyways, it seems we should give up and move on… unfortunately we do call this little red dot home but I guess our profile don’t fit in, so we had no choice but to respect that.
When was the last rejection? Who was the main applicant?
Why International school?

WincH+

Post by WincH+ » Wed, 08 Sep 2021 10:43 am

The nick "Middlechild" is a homonym of "middle finger" in Mandarin, so I would guess you are quite pissed off, and with you indicating yourself as "SEAsian", I would assume that you're a Malaysian Chinese since the rest of the Chinese from SEA apart from Singapore and Malaysia were very much assimilated with the rest of their countrymen in terms of identity, language, etc.

IMHO, your family is downright rejected for failure in planting roots - why International School for your son? Much like what every job interviewer would ask "What can you bring/contribute to the company?", you're just boasting of your economic stature while failing to address the core requirement of being an SPR, that is, social integration. Without social integration, your whole family is a flight risk, and this is further amplified with your son in international school - alienated from the rest of the locals. Even LHL in his recent NDR address stressed that foreigners must accept ethos and norms of Singapore society.

The reality is that Singapore and its voters had enough of expats who called the little red done home only because of the money, together with its comfy lifestyle, while it last. For that, an EP or at most PEP is more than enough so why bother to apply for SPR since there's no in-depth thought/action for one and most importantly, one's next generation in planting roots in Singapore?

SPR is an hard-earned privilege (Malaysian Chinese aside) and stepping stone for one and one's next generation in becoming a true blue Singaporean. SPR should not be viewed as an entitlement for one to do job-hopping with ease and with the aims of elevating one's income and comfy lifestyle in Singapore - worst still, using it as a stepping stone for greener pasture elsewhere.

Take the above with a pinch of salt, but reality is reality especially with the current socio-political situation in Singapore where there would be a lot more EP holders than usual trying to (re-)apply for SPR in hope to circumvent the fear of losing their jobs due to the tightening of EP criteria over time.

mtnut

Post by mtnut » Wed, 08 Sep 2021 11:23 am

WincH+ wrote:
Wed, 08 Sep 2021 10:43 am
IMHO, your family is downright rejected for failure in planting roots - why International School for your son?
How do you get into a local school without SPR/SC? :roll:

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Wed, 08 Sep 2021 11:31 am

mtnut wrote:
Wed, 08 Sep 2021 11:23 am
WincH+ wrote:
IMHO, your family is downright rejected for failure in planting roots - why International School for your son?
Methinks WincH+ has a sharp bladed tool to grind...
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 08 Sep 2021 11:35 am

mtnut wrote:
WincH+ wrote:
Possible, just that you may not get nearby or the school you want.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Wed, 08 Sep 2021 11:39 am

mtnut wrote:
WincH+ wrote:

While I agree with addadude that this person has an axe to grind (seeing that he, it's usually a he, seems to have signed up just to post a "rebuttal" 😏), it is in fact possible to successfully register at a local school. Not easy, but it is possible. Of course, given the difficulties, it's easy to understand why someone would choose not to.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 08 Sep 2021 12:33 pm

It is also possible to register for local school and be DENIED because no seats are available, only SC and PR are guaranteed a spot!

Demand for seats in local schools started exceeding supply after they did a bunch of mergers around the early 2010’s, this is the time they started to change the rules to give absolute priority to SC children and ratchet up the fees for non-SC children. Foreigners get the worst choices and are stuck paying the highest fees, despite paying higher taxes that are supposedly used to subsidize local schooling.

While there are no hard numbers on how many foreign students have been turned away from local schools during P1 registration, there has been anecdotal evidence that it is at least hundreds of students each year.

Given the above, it is an absolutely ludicrous idea to judge a foreigner for not putting their child in local school in the current system where a foreign child has no rights, no privileges, no guarantees, no priority, and are given the absolute shortest end of the stick, if they are even given a stick at all.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Wed, 08 Sep 2021 2:10 pm

When I was in primary school in the 90s, it was quite international. I remembered having classmates from Japan, Korea, Taiwan, China, Indonesia, Nepal (due to the Gurkha camp fairly close by), Hong Kong, and even Canada!

It’s a pity the pri sch vacancies have shrunk over the years.

WincH+

Post by WincH+ » Wed, 08 Sep 2021 2:50 pm

During the early days when Singapore was more pro-immigrant and SPRs were handed out like hot cakes to the 1st Gens, all the young 2nd Gens (mostly PRCs) that that I came to know of which that went into local schools were almost passable as true blue Singaporean, except when they started to talk in their mother-tongue/slang with their family members - I would think there is some peer pressure or fear of being alienated that got them assimilated with the rest of their peers at school and even outside of school.

Fast forward today, I would tend to see those aspiring young 1st Gens, at least for the I and O group, that underwent at least an undergraduate programme in local public university and got their first degree locally would be at the top most priority in terms of successful SPR application. Others would be competing on whatever limited slots that are leftover - and most of them are competing purely based on residential period, financial stability, etc. with no clear commitment/potential in sinking roots.

Long gone were the days where one could game the system by doing donation and/or charity work in return for recommendation letters from MPs to boast their "grassroot" connection. The only brownie point that aspiring but older 1st Gens has would only be their children - the 2nd Gens (and preferably, the cannon fodders). But I do agree it is damn hard for foreign kids in getting P1 given the limited slots, or perhaps no slots at all when it comes to Phase 3 nowadays.

No one can guarantee whether after one is being granted SPR, will one not jump ship? It is just a simple step of SPR renunciation with CPF withdrawn and HDB flipped - the SPR label just doesn't stick to those that aren't assimilated well enough or at least accepted the ethos and norms of Singapore as most are no longer a white canvas with rooms to be painted. IMHO, the 2nd Gens are far more valuable than any 1st Gens in terms of social integration, especially after their white canvas got painted (or brainwashed) by the local education system.

Nevertheless, local education since young either for aspiring 1st Gens or 2nd Gens might not be the determining factor in a successful SPR application, but it would probably weight more than just purely harping on one's condo, car, job, salary, etc. or how much one loves Singapore but Singapore doesn't loves back - with the S Pass and EP criteria being tightened over time, so will the SPR criteria.