Singapore Expats

How to lose weight?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: How to lose weight?

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 24 May 2021 12:23 pm

smoulder wrote:
Mon, 24 May 2021 1:18 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 23 May 2021 10:30 pm
midlet2013 wrote:
Sun, 23 May 2021 3:14 am
Ya when I started keto, I did sincerely and lost 9k in 3 months. All my medical reports r better . Nothing detoriorated in 1.5 years. I am lighter agile.

My conclusion is it’s not weight loss. Eating Low carb n high weight is healthy From an internal health, hormonal and metabolic point of view.

Carbs r bad but by the time we realise , we blame it on age.

I am 41 and I feel I am healthier now than I was in 30s.
Great results. But isn’t it the weight loss that made the difference? The diet caused the dramatic weight loss which lead to an improvement in your health.
Not sure about him but I know from my own experience doing CKD years ago, you get this feeling of being clear headed and more energetic after the initial few days when you have cravings. Don't know if it's psychological, but I've read about other people reporting the same thing as well.
I’ve heard that the first few days of keto causes terrible headaches, but after the initial shock, your body recovers and becomes more clear-headed than ever. Was this the case for you?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 24 May 2021 12:25 pm

midlet2013 wrote:
Mon, 24 May 2021 1:35 am
Well weight loss can be achieved by Calorie deficit also. But metabolic health n hormonal health cannot be.

Also chronic diseases like blood pressure and diabetes can be controlled by reducing carbs and eating high fat.

So I think weight loss is just one of the benefits. There r lot of internal benefits which is very tough to correlate to diet. We often accept it as part of Aging which is not really true.

I think Low card high fat or keto helps in weight loss but there is much more benefits which most normal people don’t understand.
I think you may have it wrong. Weight loss is the cause of the health benefits, many chronic illnesses are known to be able to be controlled with weight loss which can be achieved through proper diet and exercise.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 May 2021 1:08 pm

As one who walked the walk 13 years ago and lost 25 kg by basically cutting out carbs, sugar, salt and reducing portions I have to agree with midlet2013. I had HBP for a decade (during which time I'd gained more than 15 kg, and after the program I'd was taken off all medications. my HBP is directly a result of weight gain/loss.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 24 May 2021 3:32 pm

I’ve heard that the first few days of keto causes terrible headaches, but after the initial shock, your body recovers and becomes more clear-headed than ever. Was this the case for you?
Yep that's what I experienced. I don't quite recall experiencing headaches initially. Definitely had cravings and was extremely tired, partly also because of the kind of workout I had coupled with the ketogenic diet. But once this went away, I recall feeling quite energetic.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Mon, 24 May 2021 3:35 pm

With keto or other high fat diets, compared to general healthy eating, the problem is with some interpretations. Like were any fat is ok, as it still allows you lose weight and people fry everything in butter, eat bacon as a regular snack etc. Might lose you weight but not necessarily so good for cholesterol and heart.

The same issue with low or no carb diets where people consider all carbs bad instead of sugars only.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 26 May 2021 12:12 am

smoulder wrote:
Mon, 24 May 2021 3:32 pm
Yep that's what I experienced. I don't quite recall experiencing headaches initially. Definitely had cravings and was extremely tired, partly also because of the kind of workout I had coupled with the ketogenic diet. But once this went away, I recall feeling quite energetic.

Interesting. Not sure why this is, probably just the body getting used to such drastic changes.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 26 May 2021 12:13 am

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Mon, 24 May 2021 3:35 pm
With keto or other high fat diets, compared to general healthy eating, the problem is with some interpretations. Like were any fat is ok, as it still allows you lose weight and people fry everything in butter, eat bacon as a regular snack etc. Might lose you weight but not necessarily so good for cholesterol and heart.

The same issue with low or no carb diets where people consider all carbs bad instead of sugars only.
True, there is a difference between healthy and unhealthy fats (avocado vs. bacon grease).

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Wed, 26 May 2021 4:51 am

Once you figure out that LowCarbHighFat makes sense, you can learn n figure out what's good n what's not.

Clearly, Saturated fats n MonoUnsaturated r good while PolyUnsaturated are bad. So Avacado is good and so is Bacon and Butter . But Vegetable oils are bad.

Secondly, there is a lot of research which points that Cholestoral specifically LDL is not bad as long as TG is low and HDL is high which can be done by cutting carbs and increasing saturated fats.

My dad had extremely low LDL and high TG/low HDL and had a heart attack.

Conventional wisdom on fats is wrong. At least do some research, see both sides of the story, and decide what makes sense.

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 26 May 2021 12:13 am

True, there is a difference between healthy and unhealthy fats (avocado vs. bacon grease).

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Wed, 26 May 2021 6:43 am

midlet2013 wrote:
Wed, 26 May 2021 4:51 am
Once you figure out that LowCarbHighFat makes sense, you can learn n figure out what's good n what's not.

Clearly, Saturated fats n MonoUnsaturated r good while PolyUnsaturated are bad. So Avacado is good and so is Bacon and Butter . But Vegetable oils are bad.

Secondly, there is a lot of research which points that Cholestoral specifically LDL is not bad as long as TG is low and HDL is high which can be done by cutting carbs and increasing saturated fats.

Conventional wisdom on fats is wrong. At least do some research, see both sides of the story, and decide what makes sense.

Lisafuller wrote:

Would be really interested to see any reliable and recent research stating that bacon and butter are good for your health. And I guess the other part where olive oil is bad.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Wed, 26 May 2021 7:03 am

Just to add a neutral respected science summary, as I don't claim to be a medical or nutritional researcher:

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/magazine/m ... ally-back/

There is always debates but certain basics are still agreed by most researchers, the miracle diet and vitamin sellers are another breed of researchers, whom I chose to ignore for their conflict of interest.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 26 May 2021 4:59 pm

Wed, 26 May 2021 7:03 am
Just to add a neutral respected science summary, as I don't claim to be a medical or nutritional researcher:

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/magazine/m ... ally-back/

There is always debates but certain basics are still agreed by most researchers, the miracle diet and vitamin sellers are another breed of researchers, whom I chose to ignore for their conflict of interest.
I’ll give it a read, thanks for sharing!

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Wed, 26 May 2021 7:09 pm

Wed, 26 May 2021 6:43 am
midlet2013 wrote:

Lisafuller wrote:

Would be really interested to see any reliable and recent research stating that bacon and butter are good for your health. And I guess the other part where olive oil is bad.

No I would not. U can avoid olive and butter n bacon. Good for u.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 27 May 2021 11:27 am

Wed, 26 May 2021 6:43 am
midlet2013 wrote:

Lisafuller wrote:

I thinks you’ve misinterpreted my post. I meant that avocados were “healthy fat” while bacon grade was unhealthy, not the other way around.

Sunjackal
Regular
Regular

Post by Sunjackal » Mon, 31 May 2021 5:43 pm

A work colleague of mine returned from furlough (circa 9 months all in all) with a 45kg loss from following the keto diet.

She has said she’s never felt better in her life, with the health of some decades younger than her actual age.

She did mention it was quite gruelling in the beginning, but that once she got a handle on it she just felt better. More energised, less aches and pains, overall healthier feeling.

I’ve always been unsure on keto because of potential heart health concerns about the fat element - but I am sure that’s more about ensuring the kind of fats being consumed are good ones.

YangMi

Post by YangMi » Mon, 13 Sep 2021 1:48 pm

reduce carbohydrate intake, switch to brown rice