Singapore Expats

First time renting in SG, need suggestions

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
SingaporeEP

First time renting in SG, need suggestions

Post by SingaporeEP » Sun, 14 Mar 2021 11:56 am

Hi experts,

I have been going through the horror stories of renting in Singapore and have a few questions.

Background: Indian, Couple, 32 moving to SG, by May 2021. My office located at Downtown, and wife will start to look for work once we are settled, so she might need commute too. Currently my budget is SGD 2K for a single bedroom, kitchen and a living room. Dont want to share an apartment.

Can you please help with:

1) Where should I look in the budget of 2-2.5K SGD per month? Any location suggestions? Will I get close to MRT in this budget, or should I move farther from MRT?

2) HDB vs condo: I understand my budget is too tight for condo, so should I opt for HDB? do they come in configuration I seek, as mostly ads are 4/5BR while I need 2BR. What will be an ideal budget for condo, even if it means a bit longer commute for me?

3) agent and landlord: I plan to pay an agent fee, and get the TA sorted basis tips on the forum but am worried about reluctance to rent to Indian. Should I look for specific areas, or clarify this with agent?

Thanks,

Search By

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: First time renting in SG, need suggestions

Post by abbby » Mon, 15 Mar 2021 2:28 pm

SingaporeEP wrote:
Sun, 14 Mar 2021 11:56 am
Hi experts,

I have been going through the horror stories of renting in Singapore and have a few questions.

Background: Indian, Couple, 32 moving to SG, by May 2021. My office located at Downtown, and wife will start to look for work once we are settled, so she might need commute too. Currently my budget is SGD 2K for a single bedroom, kitchen and a living room. Dont want to share an apartment.

Can you please help with:

1) Where should I look in the budget of 2-2.5K SGD per month? Any location suggestions? Will I get close to MRT in this budget, or should I move farther from MRT?

2) HDB vs condo: I understand my budget is too tight for condo, so should I opt for HDB? do they come in configuration I seek, as mostly ads are 4/5BR while I need 2BR. What will be an ideal budget for condo, even if it means a bit longer commute for me?

3) agent and landlord: I plan to pay an agent fee, and get the TA sorted basis tips on the forum but am worried about reluctance to rent to Indian. Should I look for specific areas, or clarify this with agent?

Thanks,

Hi there..

1. Don't think $2k can get you near MRT. It's quite competitive now for renters are market seems to be moving very fast for rentals..might like to relook the budget, at this point i think u should be away from MRT

2. Yes of cos, the budget is difficult for condos. Unless you don't mind a mickey mouse studio at $2k

3. Set your area first, but be realistic alongside the budget.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

SingaporeEP

Post by SingaporeEP » Mon, 15 Mar 2021 7:11 pm

Thanks for response Abby, I went through the budgets and think will be keeping this 2.5k, going up to 3k for a good place. What should be a budget for condo? And are HDBs available in 1 bedroom and hall configuration?

Will also do a research on areas as suggested, though initial research on Prop Guru shows mostly condos only, $2700-3000 when 700 meter away from MTR.

Luckily have an accomodation for first month post arrival, so will have time to wait and find a good property.

fatdoggos

Post by fatdoggos » Tue, 06 Apr 2021 2:13 pm

Realistically speaking for a 2-bedder condo, your budget should be high 2k to around 3.5k. There are condos you can get for maybe 2.5k - 3k but the size is ridiculously small, with a pathetic excuse of a kitchen which usually consists of a 1-metre long counter top which they jam with stove, a sink, etc.

There seem to be a shortage in rentals right now, I’m personally trying to find rentals the past month but to no avail. Many tenants out there and landlords are not backing down on rental prices, so do keep this in mind.

You could look at areas further away (from central/prime regions of Orchard, Newton, River Valley, Holland, Bukit Timah, Tanglin etc) which will give you some discounts in rental fees. As you are new to the country I'd suggest getting an agent to represent you, and to also negotiate fees for you as you might not be very well versed about the local rental market. On top of that as you May already know some landlords do not favour indians, so best to get an agent to protect your needs and also during handover when you get your security deposit back. All the best, welcome to Singapore and hope all goes well for you! :)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 06 Apr 2021 2:43 pm

$2-$2.5K won’t get you anything nice. Like fatdoggos mentioned, there seems to be a rental shortage right now so your offer will need to be competitive if you want to be successful in getting a place to stay. If you’re willing to take a bus to commute to the MRT, location will cease to be an issue for you, and you’ll probably be able to get a better price. Good luck.