Singapore Expats

Heightened sensitivity to germ transmission

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Heightened sensitivity to germ transmission

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 27 Mar 2021 2:59 pm

Ever since the start of this pandemic, I’ve become so much more conscious about germ transmission and how easy it can be to pass on illnesses. When I watch old videos where there are large gatherings of people, I get immediately anxious, and honestly can’t imagine ever being comfortable hanging in such large crowds again. I’ve become hyper-conscious of mask wearing as well and if I see people without masks in public, I get very uncomfortable. I’m wondering if any of you have felt the way I do? It’s as if I now see life through a new lens, and it’s almost impossible to see things the way I used to.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Heightened sensitivity to germ transmission

Post by BBCDoc » Sat, 27 Mar 2021 10:17 pm

I’m actually very curious about syphilis rates.

It’s a disease that only humans can have - transmitted sexually, and it’s not difficult to treat. With all the lockdowns, have we managed to achieve some elimination?

If the rates don’t change, then it means people have been banging each other during lockdowns...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 27 Mar 2021 11:03 pm

:shock: :lol: [-X
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 28 Mar 2021 7:20 am

BBCDoc wrote:
Sat, 27 Mar 2021 10:17 pm

It’s a disease that only humans can have - transmitted sexually, and it’s not difficult to treat. With all the lockdowns, have we managed to achieve some elimination?

If the rates don’t change, then it means people have been banging each other during lockdowns...
But this would concern mostly new partners or prostitutes banging, right? I think it's complex. On one hand access to services surely must have suffered. On the other hand I bet online dating bloomed more than usual. For the later, no lockdown would stop anybody.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Sun, 28 Mar 2021 10:44 am

The trick is to be aware of the space around you, whilst not slipping into OCD territory of course. Even before Covid-19, whenever I heard someone nearby me sneeze or cough, I made sure I didn't blunder into that person's aerosol cloud. On the MRT, I head for the next carriage.

I use my knuckle to press things like elevator buttons and I utterly eschew hand-mouth contact when out and about.

I don't know if any of this works, but I'm just not going to be exposed to germs and cooties if I can help it.

Once back home, I wash my hands pretty good. I also exchange my outdoor attire for indoor stuff.

I have a serious bunch of bees under my bonnet for the uncouth ignorami that blow out sneezes and coughs with wild abandon without covering up and for those picking their nose in public. And especially for the MFs that are in the habit of jamming their used tissue into the door handle of their cab.

If ever we manage to move post-Covid-19, I hope there will be more enforcement vis-a-vis irresponsible germ-spreaders.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Sun, 28 Mar 2021 1:08 pm

x9200 wrote:
BBCDoc wrote:
Sat, 27 Mar 2021 10:17 pm

But this would concern mostly new partners or prostitutes banging, right? I think it's complex. On one hand access to services surely must have suffered. On the other hand I bet online dating bloomed more than usual. For the later, no lockdown would stop anybody.
Your points are somewhat true. SG and other countries have blocked leisure travel, so there should be a drop in transient prostitutes carrying syphilis around the region.

Those with symptomatic Syphilis may seek consultation for treatment, leading to a reduction of rates.

Transfusion transmission should be all time Low, since there was a reduction in donors and also surgeries.

Thus, the major mode of spread most likely is casual unprotected sex. Would be interesting to see if rates have gone down...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 28 Mar 2021 4:33 pm

Max Headroom wrote:
Sun, 28 Mar 2021 10:44 am
The trick is to be aware of the space around you, whilst not slipping into OCD territory of course. Even before Covid-19, whenever I heard someone nearby me sneeze or cough, I made sure I didn't blunder into that person's aerosol cloud. On the MRT, I head for the next carriage.

I use my knuckle to press things like elevator buttons and I utterly eschew hand-mouth contact when out and about.

I don't know if any of this works, but I'm just not going to be exposed to germs and cooties if I can help it.

Once back home, I wash my hands pretty good. I also exchange my outdoor attire for indoor stuff.

I have a serious bunch of bees under my bonnet for the uncouth ignorami that blow out sneezes and coughs with wild abandon without covering up and for those picking their nose in public. And especially for the MFs that are in the habit of jamming their used tissue into the door handle of their cab.

If ever we manage to move post-Covid-19, I hope there will be more enforcement vis-a-vis irresponsible germ-spreaders.
I used to be just like you as well. I would move away from anyone coughing in public and use my knuckles and elbows to press buttons. I would, however, share food and occasionally have a sip of a friend’s drink. Not anymore. The thought makes me anxious, I sanitize religiously, and wash my hands so often that I now need handcream to offset the dryness caused. Even when this pandemic ends, I hope frequent sanitization of public areas and proper hygiene habits can continue.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sun, 28 Mar 2021 7:12 pm

I spent 23 years riding the MRT to and from work daily. For the first 2 years I got sick about once every 2 weeks. Over time I learned to make changes and slowly got it down to once per month, then every other month. You could argue that a stronger immunity came into play, but I was also dealing with a far more crowded train and much greater exposure in recent years. Suffice it to say, I’ve had plenty of time to experiment and observe outcomes. Before Covid, I had it down to my lowest ever, an average of just once per year, and that is why I really wasn’t too worried when Covid arrived.

Besides not touching anything, I only breathe air in the peripheral areas of the train, I stay near the corners/edges/doors of the carriage, same thing inside lifts. If anyone coughs or sneezes near me, I hold my breath until am clear of their germ cloud. Now that people are wearing masks, the germ clouds are more confined, and that makes it easier to avoid.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigginHill » Sun, 28 Mar 2021 10:32 pm

I read a report somewhere, that people are starting to react stronger to colds when they're exposed, simply because we've been avoiding any kind of respiratory infections the entire past year.

If so, I suppose we'll face similar issues when we face the flu in 2022, 23,...

We have an immune system for a reason. The less we exercise it, the less it's able to defend us.

The immune system is what it is because of a lifetime of exposure to germs & viruses.

Now we've got a COVID vaccine, which is great, because now we don't need to risk dying when exposed to a completely new virus.

However, I read another article suggesting that we may actually want to avoid taking COVID boosters in the long term & instead rely on our immune systems to gradually adapt and protect us, just like it's happened historically with the other circulating coronaviruses.

(not that I'm suggesting we expose ourselves deliberately to COVID or syphilis!)

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 29 Mar 2021 10:22 am

You could also get a flu jab if you want to exercise your immune system.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 29 Mar 2021 11:05 am

BigginHill wrote:
Sun, 28 Mar 2021 10:32 pm
I read a report somewhere, that people are starting to react stronger to colds when they're exposed, simply because we've been avoiding any kind of respiratory infections the entire past year.

If so, I suppose we'll face similar issues when we face the flu in 2022, 23,...

We have an immune system for a reason. The less we exercise it, the less it's able to defend us.

The immune system is what it is because of a lifetime of exposure to germs & viruses.

Now we've got a COVID vaccine, which is great, because now we don't need to risk dying when exposed to a completely new virus.

However, I read another article suggesting that we may actually want to avoid taking COVID boosters in the long term & instead rely on our immune systems to gradually adapt and protect us, just like it's happened historically with the other circulating coronaviruses.

(not that I'm suggesting we expose ourselves deliberately to COVID or syphilis!)
I hadn’t considered this until now. I suppose you are right, but exposing ourselves to COVID or a similar disease with the intention of exercising our immune system would be too big of a task for our immune system to manage. You might end up dead instead of stronger.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 29 Mar 2021 12:06 pm

We are all going to end up dead anyway. Something to think about. :-k 8-[
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 29 Mar 2021 12:15 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 28 Mar 2021 7:12 pm
I spent 23 years riding the MRT to and from work daily. For the first 2 years I got sick about once every 2 weeks. Over time I learned to make changes and slowly got it down to once per month, then every other month. You could argue that a stronger immunity came into play, but I was also dealing with a far more crowded train and much greater exposure in recent years. Suffice it to say, I’ve had plenty of time to experiment and observe outcomes. Before Covid, I had it down to my lowest ever, an average of just once per year, and that is why I really wasn’t too worried when Covid arrived.

Besides not touching anything, I only breathe air in the peripheral areas of the train, I stay near the corners/edges/doors of the carriage, same thing inside lifts. If anyone coughs or sneezes near me, I hold my breath until am clear of their germ cloud. Now that people are wearing masks, the germ clouds are more confined, and that makes it easier to avoid.
I am more grateful now than ever that I drive instead of taking public transport. The idea of having to be in such close proximity with others in the midst of this pandemic gives me unspeakable anxiety.

I’m lucky I haven’t had to take public transport since the start of COVID, but I imagine that if I did my behavior would be very similar. Might even double mask up.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 29 Mar 2021 12:19 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 29 Mar 2021 12:06 pm
We are all going to end up dead anyway. Something to think about. :-k 8-[
You’re not wrong, but by that logic we’d have no reason to do anything since we would die anyway. I have plenty left to live for, so thats not my approach to life for now.

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigginHill » Mon, 29 Mar 2021 12:22 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 29 Mar 2021 12:06 pm
We are all going to end up dead anyway. Something to think about.
Amen.

From the pandemic diary:

We're currently living a diminished life.

We move less. We meet less. We do less. We're less human.

Those are the unavoidable pandemic terms, which we'll probably need to endure for another 2-4 years.

Movement is life. And life has to return.

Post pandemic I suggest the world leave the fear behind. And prepare sensibly for the next one(s).

Return to “General Discussions”