Singapore Expats

SC for adopted child

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Armour88

SC for adopted child

Post by Armour88 » Wed, 18 Nov 2020 2:33 pm

Hi there, i'm not sure if i'm posting in the correct forum. I have read alot on this forum but have not found any answers to my question:

1) I'm a SC married to my Thai wife (here on LTVP).
2) I adopted my stepchild (currently 4YO) and got the court order as well as her Singapore BC.
3) I then submitted for SC for my child in Sept
4) From my understanding, the process would take 2 months as she's considered foreign born child of SC ??
5) However, in myICA it still shows pending now.

My questions are:
1) Is there a chance her SC will be rejected?
2) Her DP (from adoption) is expiring soon, so would we know of the results anytime soon?

Thank you!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: SC for adopted child

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 19 Nov 2020 10:07 am

Armour88 wrote:
Wed, 18 Nov 2020 2:33 pm
Hi there, i'm not sure if i'm posting in the correct forum. I have read alot on this forum but have not found any answers to my question:

2) I adopted my stepchild (currently 4YO) and got the court order as well as her Singapore BC.
4) From my understanding, the process would take 2 months as she's considered foreign born child of SC ??

My questions are:
2) Her DP (from adoption) is expiring soon, so would we know of the results anytime soon?

Thank you!
It may take a bit longer as your case is adopted child.

Armour88

Post by Armour88 » Thu, 19 Nov 2020 10:13 am

Thanks @singaporeflyer, can i just ask abit longer would it be as long as normal SC application i.e. 6 months?

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 19 Nov 2020 11:53 am

Armour88 wrote:
Thu, 19 Nov 2020 10:13 am
Thanks @singaporeflyer, can i just ask abit longer would it be as long as normal SC application i.e. 6 months?
Not sure. Any reason for the urgency?

Armour88

Post by Armour88 » Thu, 19 Nov 2020 2:20 pm

Her DP from the adoption is expiring in Dec.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 19 Nov 2020 2:23 pm

What does the Singapore BC say regards her nationality? Are you (as an SC) listed as her father on the new BC?

You may have to apply for a DP extension. I assume you used a lawyer so speak to him as well.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Armour88

Post by Armour88 » Thu, 19 Nov 2020 5:08 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Thu, 19 Nov 2020 2:23 pm
What does the Singapore BC say regards her nationality? Are you (as an SC) listed as her father on the new BC?

You may have to apply for a DP extension. I assume you used a lawyer so speak to him as well.
Her nationality is stated as Thai in her BC as adoption doesn't make her an SC (that's why need to apply to ICA for SC). Yes, i'm now listed as her father in the BC.

Her DP was previously applied through MSF for the adoption, so I would need to write to ICA to extend her DP? The lawyer was only involved in the adoption process, up until the court order was given...

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 19 Nov 2020 5:30 pm

It's most likely you will get SC for her. It's not uncommon for Singaporeans to adopt children from overseas, the only issue here may be that her mother is not a SC. You may have to go back to MSF to get them to request a DP extension or as you said go to ICA direct.

FYI: When adopted our SC daughter her the magistrate was not happy with my wife being on an SVP (she had left her job and I was applying for a LTVP for my wife). The magistrate put the adoption on hold until that was sorted.'

If your daughters application fails for SC then apply for your wife and daughter together for PR and after a few years for SC. Use an LTVP or student pass to keep your daughter here.

Edit: this is ONE definite case where speaking to your local MP will help (as your an SC and trying to create another SC!).

Armour88

Post by Armour88 » Thu, 19 Nov 2020 5:39 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Thu, 19 Nov 2020 5:30 pm
It's most likely you will get SC for her. It's not uncommon for Singaporeans to adopt children from overseas, the only issue here may be that her mother is not a SC. You may have to go back to MSF to get them to request a DP extension or as you said go to ICA direct.

FYI: When adopted our SC daughter her the magistrate was not happy with my wife being on an SVP (she had left her job and I was applying for a LTVP for my wife). The magistrate put the adoption on hold until that was sorted.'

If your daughters application fails for SC then apply for your wife and daughter together for PR and after a few years for SC. Use an LTVP or student pass to keep your daughter here.
thanks for sharing PNGMK! Good to know a fellow member that has also gone through the adoption process. I'm also wondering why would ICA not give SC for her having gone through the whole adoption but I guess probably due to mother not being SC.

Thanks for the advice, I will check with MSF/ICA on DP extension, and if not then LTVP while waiting for the results of the SC.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 19 Nov 2020 8:26 pm

You'll make it but it's a path full of barriers for anyone.

We had so many hurdles in the way and fortunately my wife being American and me being an Aussie just made it through. I will say that I consider the Singapore Family Court system is "Adoption Friendly".

Derrickkoh

Post by Derrickkoh » Wed, 08 Sep 2021 2:45 pm

Good Day Armour88,

Hi bro, I have the exact same situation as you.
My wife is from thai. Both my children are also adopted from my wife.
Birth Cert also state that I am their father.
I also applied for SC on Sep 2020.

But till now still pending in the ICA website.
Can have your contact number as our case are very rare in SG and we can inform each other when the good news come.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 08 Sep 2021 3:51 pm

Has the Thai mother surrendered all parental rights? In which court was the adoption formalised?

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Wed, 08 Sep 2021 7:28 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Thu, 19 Nov 2020 2:23 pm

The Singapore birth certificate will have a line stating "the child is not a citizen of Singapore at the time of birth"

Al2811

Post by Al2811 » Thu, 15 Jun 2023 3:57 pm

Armour88 wrote:
Wed, 18 Nov 2020 2:33 pm

My questions are:

Thank you!
Hi can share how long your process take for your child to become sc as I hve the same suitation like u

Cos I read from ica website it say adopted child born outside they will try to finish within two month