Singapore Expats

EP is the new PR

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
the observer
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: EP is the new PR

Post by the observer » Mon, 02 Nov 2020 6:58 am

Herein lies the issue, from my point of view.
Especially so in sg. As you get older, you’re at a bigger risk of being made redundant.
Maybe not at 40. But the risks increase as you age on.

Unless of course, you’re gods gift to your business/department.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 02 Nov 2020 9:43 am

the observer wrote:
Mon, 02 Nov 2020 6:58 am
Herein lies the issue, from my point of view.
Especially so in sg. As you get older, you’re at a bigger risk of being made redundant.
Maybe not at 40. But the risks increase as you age on.

Unless of course, you’re gods gift to your business/department.
You are supposed to make enough dough by the time you hit 40, so that it doesnt affect you so much, after that being made redundant. Go back to your home[passport] country and take a break and start exploring again. The whole world is your playground, when you are not grounded to one place.

This is the expat deal, what is the point of becoming an expat in another country, if you cannot bring your retirement forward by 10-15 years? Ofcourse there is no need to retire at 40, you can keep going until 70. But you should become financially independent. That is the hedge against, not having your own home and not being settled in one place.

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigginHill » Mon, 02 Nov 2020 11:33 am

Spot on, Wd40, on all counts.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Nov 2020 11:50 am

WD40, your post above is exactly why Indians are having such a hard time gaining PR here. Assimilation is part of the game. This operating in a virtual commune and not integrating with the local population is a keystone of the immigration policy. Don't you think that ICA's field officers check out your habits here as well as the information you list on your application? I think I now possibly know why you have been consistently rejected over the years. Your actions speak louder than words.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Mon, 02 Nov 2020 1:45 pm

BigginHill wrote:
Mon, 02 Nov 2020 11:33 am
Spot on, Wd40, on all counts.
The count that matters most is mental health.
Kudos to OP for being emotionally ready.

I would think the blows of retrenchment + getting evicted out of the country would test the mettle.
Plus the need to sort out the kid's educational needs elsewhere etc.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 02 Nov 2020 3:19 pm

I have a friend who seems to match WD40’s profile quite closely, except they did manage to get PR and were even “selected” for conversion to citizenship. They also had a daughter in Indian International School, younger son didn’t even have PR, but ended up going straight to citizenship along with the rest of the family after several years of pressure from the government. I think the factors that drove it was - the father was from Tamil Nadu, had a 5 digit monthly salary and was active in the local community.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Nov 2020 4:14 pm

Your last phrase probably said it all. ;-) 'active' being the operative word.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Mon, 02 Nov 2020 4:18 pm

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 02 Nov 2020 3:19 pm
I have a friend who seems to match WD40’s profile quite closely, except they did manage to get PR and were even “selected” for conversion to citizenship. They also had a daughter in Indian International School, younger son didn’t even have PR, but ended up going straight to citizenship along with the rest of the family after several years of pressure from the government. I think the factors that drove it was - the father was from Tamil Nadu, had a 5 digit monthly salary and was active in the local community.
I think the PAP has been explicit enough on the make up of whom they want.
They kept harping on integration, above others.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Mon, 02 Nov 2020 5:10 pm

Lol, I think u guys are just jealous that WD40 became a millionaire cuz he never had a chance to buy apartment or settle here. And, so coming up with explanation as to why he failed to obtain PR.

Altho, it makes sense that cultural similarity is important. And that either helps in integration or at least creates a perception of integration. If you fail at that, then you have to be exceptional, not just another IT guy.

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Mon, 02 Nov 2020 5:47 pm

In honesty, its a ubiquitous profile of a white collar bloke in sg, especially those in banking and tech. Nothing to shout about whilst still residing here in sg.

If OP had gotten a citizenship, education fees would have been $16 a month. And instead of renting, it would have been for paying down the mortgage. A must would be the OCI card so that he could retire in India if he chooses to when he’s had enough.

I’d think the latter proposition would have been more desirable.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 02 Nov 2020 5:53 pm

I think Singapore is looking for the pigs and not the chickens at the breakfast table (eggs and bacon)... the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Mon, 02 Nov 2020 5:58 pm

Fwiw, Indians still make the list of new citizens year in year out.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 02 Nov 2020 6:44 pm

The birth rate among Indians here is low, and it is important to maintain the status quo with sizable non-Chinese minorities here... if nothing else, to keep China at bay; the idea of annexation has come up from time to time, and the multi-ethnic population is often the key argument used to dissuade China from getting any ideas.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Nov 2020 7:57 pm

It was recently pointed out by a member of parliament that Immigration is being used to maintain the ethnic demographics of Singapore to retain the same percentages, e.g., 76% Chinese, 15% Malay, 7.5% Indian and the balance in the catchall 'others' at 1.5%. It's never been any secret but it was unusual that it was openly noted in Parliament. So, based on the TFRs of each of the various races, (all of which are near to the 1.15 zone), points to immigration to supplement the numbers via immigration. Chinese have the lowest TFR and Malays have the highest with Indians in the middle but close to Chinese levels

gizmogeek

Post by gizmogeek » Mon, 02 Nov 2020 11:13 pm

"It's never been any secret but it was unusual that it was openly noted in Parliament" - agree, even i thought the same, very unusual to mention it specifically, though it was an open secret.
Maybe with the pressure from oppo on population, they wanted to set the record. Personally always thot that natuarilzed SC population is very judiciously managed for which they never got credit.