Singapore Expats

PR approval chance in 2020

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
hitzs

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by hitzs » Mon, 12 Oct 2020 9:22 am

Hello experts!

Need your advice on my chances. I have submitted my PR application at start of this year and awaiting the outcome. 3 times rejected earlier :)

Myself-
Race: Indian
Marital Status: Married
Application: with family (wife on EP and 2 son, younger son born after last application)
Education: MBA among 2 top university in UK, Bachelor in Computer Science India
Job: Digital Transformation - Architecture. Part of talent pool
Industry: Bank IT
Length of stay in Singapore: 11.5 years (worked in the same company till now)
Income Tax Assessment : 10 Submitted
Total Job Experience: 16 Years
Salary: 245+ plus bonus
Pass: EP

Wife -
Education: MBA from India
Job: Corporate Banking, Infrastructure & renewables Projects Finance
Industry: Banking
Length of stay in Singapore: 9 years (worked in the same company till now)
Income Tax Assessment : 8 Submitted
Total Job Experience: 13 Years
Salary: 165+ plus bonus

We both also love to be involved in some volunteering activities at our own pace and interests, specially we are very keen in sustainability related initiatives (earth & nature) and helping elderly/needy.

Just like many others, I have submitted a cover letter, recommendation letters, documents for voluntary work etc. Though I didn’t know if it will do more harm than strengthen my application. Looks like it wasn’t needed but let’s see ☺️

A question- I recently took new responsibility to lead a team of emerging technology architects to modernise legacy architecture at the bank - quite niche and highly skilled space I believe. Should I update ICA of the new role?

Thanks a lot for your kind advice. Appreciate

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by TropicalExpat » Mon, 12 Oct 2020 10:50 am

hitzs wrote:
Mon, 12 Oct 2020 9:22 am
Hello experts!

Need your advice on my chances. I have submitted my PR application at start of this year and awaiting the outcome. 3 times rejected earlier :)

Myself-
Application: with family (wife on EP and 2 son, younger son born after last application)

Wife -

We both also love to be involved in some volunteering activities at our own pace and interests, specially we are very keen in sustainability related initiatives (earth & nature) and helping elderly/needy.

Just like many others, I have submitted a cover letter, recommendation letters, documents for voluntary work etc. Though I didn’t know if it will do more harm than strengthen my application. Looks like it wasn’t needed but let’s see ☺️

A question- I recently took new responsibility to lead a team of emerging technology architects to modernise legacy architecture at the bank - quite niche and highly skilled space I believe. Should I update ICA of the new role?

Firstly, there is absolutely no evidence that recommendation letters or participating in voluntary work help applications.
What you do mean by "part of talent pool"?
I've said before, I love it when people tell me when they go to top (UK) university without naming it.
I also went to the top university ... but not in my subject LOL. It was at the bottom of the pile.

Since your last rejection, what in your application has changed? Other than the birth of your last son - congrats by the way!
Did you include your first son on the application?

Your salaries are good and industry field seem relevant, but your ages are against you. You in particular, at now 40 .. looking at timelines, and assuming they were to approve your application, you would likely be 41 ... you wouldn't have as many productive years in front of you. Let me put it this way, if you get rejected this time around, you will almost have no hope for any future applications just because you will be post 40 and your wife will be almost 40.

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter

Post by TropicalExpat » Mon, 12 Oct 2020 10:55 am

ankitshu_28 wrote:
Fri, 09 Oct 2020 9:18 pm
Can try again. This year they are granting more PRs, I couldn't believe it when i heard from the consultancy firm that help me with my approval for my PR application this year. Surprisingly my PR finally got approved recently. Until i went through the entire application with their guidance and i finally got the approval this time round. I tried at least twice before in 2016 - 2018. Seems like documentations and additional documents helps with the application.. Here's my profile.

Race : Indian
Marital Status : Married (1 daughter on Dependent pass)
Education : Bachelor Degree
Job : Software Engineer
Length of stay : 7 years
Salary : 80k ++
Pass : EP
centurion wrote:
Sun, 11 Oct 2020 11:30 pm
@ankitshu_28
When did you apply for the PR ? Was it this year ? Can you share some details?
They are granting more PRs! wow ](*,) ... That's wonderful news!!
We are all waiting to hear all about how you managed to do it?!?!?! =D>
Don't keep it to yourself. Please share all your insights with this forum - we surely cannot wait at all to hear what you learnt ](*,)

hitzs

Post by hitzs » Mon, 12 Oct 2020 11:56 am

TropicalExpat wrote:
Mon, 12 Oct 2020 10:50 am
hitzs wrote:
Hello experts!

Myself-

Wife -

Firstly, there is absolutely no evidence that recommendation letters or participating in voluntary work help applications.
I've said before, I love it when people tell me when they go to top (UK) university without naming it.
I also went to the top university ... but not in my subject LOL. It was at the bottom of the pile.

Since your last rejection, what in your application has changed? Other than the birth of your last son - congrats by the way!

Your salaries are good and industry field seem relevant, but your ages are against you. You in particular, at now 40 .. looking at timelines, and assuming they were to approve your application, you would likely be 41 ... you wouldn't have as many productive years in front of you. Let me put it this way, if you get rejected this time around, you will almost have no hope for any future applications just because you will be post 40 and your wife will be almost 40.
Firstly, thank you very much in taking time and share your thoughts. Do appreciate!

Agree with you on reco and cover latter but I thought it’s no harm and doesn’t take much of my time so did submit this time...not sure if it backfireS or not hehe..

Regarding some of points you raised:

University - Oxford (full time), masters degree
Talent pool - Bank’s internal talent pool managed via HR, may not mean much to external world but just shared
What changed since last app that was in oct 2017 (except one more bloke on the board) - salary increase plus a promotion (~5k/month for myself and ~5k/month for wife). Moved into a role that focus on Bank’s architecture modernisation with high tech material. Wife has done certification in Chinese language. SSB and SRS contributions by both of us over last 3 years and some other EQ/Bond investments locally.

Btw forgot to mention couple of points in earlier post
- own a house here too. Essentially pretty much committed for Long term.
- recently ICA has requested for some documents for there assessment.
- just turn 40 few days back but again 40 or 41 pretty same hehe

Would love to seek experts views and some guidance.

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter

Post by TropicalExpat » Mon, 12 Oct 2020 12:38 pm

hitzs wrote:
Mon, 12 Oct 2020 11:56 am
TropicalExpat wrote:
hitzs wrote:
Hello experts!

Myself-

Wife -

Firstly, thank you very much in taking time and share your thoughts. Do appreciate!

Agree with you on reco and cover latter but I thought it’s no harm and doesn’t take much of my time so did submit this time...not sure if it backfireS or not hehe..

Talent pool - Bank’s internal talent pool managed via HR, may not mean much to external world but just shared
What changed since last app that was in oct 2017 (except one more bloke on the board) - salary increase plus a promotion (~5k/month for myself and ~5k/month for wife). Moved into a role that focus on Bank’s architecture modernisation with high tech material. Wife has done certification in Chinese language. SSB and SRS contributions by both of us over last 3 years and some other EQ/Bond investments locally.

You didn't mention if you added your first son to the original application.

ferth

Post by ferth » Mon, 12 Oct 2020 12:52 pm

did anyone get notified for the outcome for pr application mine is still pending . applied in dec 2019.

hitzs

Post by hitzs » Mon, 12 Oct 2020 12:52 pm

TropicalExpat wrote:
Mon, 12 Oct 2020 12:38 pm
hitzs wrote:
TropicalExpat wrote:

Oops sorry forgot. Yes I did include my first son in last application. Thx.

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter

Post by TropicalExpat » Mon, 12 Oct 2020 1:34 pm

hitzs wrote:
Mon, 12 Oct 2020 12:52 pm
TropicalExpat wrote:
hitzs wrote:

Should stand a reasonable chance, except the age. If you don't get approved this cycle, you will both be even older ...

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 12 Oct 2020 2:05 pm

hitzs wrote:
TropicalExpat wrote:
hitzs wrote:

You have a decent chance

SSB and SRS contributions by both of us over last 3 years and some other EQ/Bond investments locally. -- How is this going to help Singapore?

hitzs

Post by hitzs » Mon, 12 Oct 2020 5:45 pm

TropicalExpat wrote:
Mon, 12 Oct 2020 1:34 pm
hitzs wrote:
TropicalExpat wrote:

Should stand a reasonable chance, except the age. If you don't get approved this cycle, you will both be even older ...
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, noted.

hitzs

Post by hitzs » Mon, 12 Oct 2020 5:48 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Mon, 12 Oct 2020 2:05 pm
hitzs wrote:
TropicalExpat wrote:

You have a decent chance

SSB and SRS contributions by both of us over last 3 years and some other EQ/Bond investments locally. -- How is this going to help Singapore?
Tbh, I’m not very sure but just stated thinking that it will taken positively. No idea though ☺️. What’s you view building assets in SG?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 12 Oct 2020 6:02 pm

hitzs wrote:
Mon, 12 Oct 2020 5:48 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:
hitzs wrote:

You have a decent chance

Tbh, I’m not very sure but just stated thinking that it will taken positively. No idea though ☺️. What’s you view building assets in SG?
SSB and SRS - you can cashout anytime. SRS there may be a small penalty for early withdrawal. In this view, how is it going to benefit SG?

hitzs

Post by hitzs » Mon, 12 Oct 2020 6:49 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Mon, 12 Oct 2020 6:02 pm
hitzs wrote:
Mon, 12 Oct 2020 5:48 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:

You have a decent chance

SSB and SRS - you can cashout anytime. SRS there may be a small penalty for early withdrawal. In this view, how is it going to benefit SG?
True SSB is fairly liquid but SRS is not so liquid given it’s 5% penalty and underlying investments locked up through SRS. Essentially both are meant for long term and as such evidence of long term view/commitment. Anyway it’s a small point in bigger scheme of things.

fedex16884

Post by fedex16884 » Mon, 12 Oct 2020 11:17 pm

Please suggest my chances for PR approval if I apply this year.

Marital Status : Married
Religion : No religion
Education : Bachelor Degree (IT) from India
Current Field of Work : Cybersecurity
Length of stay : 10+ years
Past applications : 2016/2017 (applied with family: rejected
Last edited by fedex16884 on Tue, 27 Oct 2020 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 12 Oct 2020 11:25 pm

fedex16884 wrote:
Mon, 12 Oct 2020 11:17 pm
Please suggest my chances for PR approval if I apply this year.

Marital Status : Married
Religion : No religion
Education : Bachelor Degree (IT) from India
Current Field of Work : Cybersecurity
Length of stay : 10+ years
No of tax returns : 10
Salary : Basic 132K ; Gross 170K
Past applications : 2016/2017 (applied with family: rejected
20-30% chance as you are in cybersec. else chance is low