Singapore Expats

Standard mail transit time from USA to Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Jgrif96229
Regular
Regular

Standard mail transit time from USA to Singapore

Post by Jgrif96229 » Fri, 25 Sep 2020 9:20 pm

I am having a membership card replaced from the USA for one lost here in Singapore. They would only issue by standard mail. It was sent 15th of September. It is now the 25th if September and has not arrived. What is standard normal time? I would assume it has to go through customs.
Joseph griffin

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Standard mail transit time from USA to Singapore

Post by malcontent » Fri, 25 Sep 2020 9:32 pm

Generally 7-10 business days. If I had something sent from the US on Tue last week, I wouldn’t expect to receive yet. Most probably next week.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Sep 2020 1:49 pm

Normal it is from 8 to 14 days (If it's a package, however, if it arrives on a Friday or Saturday it will generally not be delivered until the following Tuesday. Peak periods like the Christmas/New Year season will normally see 8 to 18 days usually. However, 2020 Covid USPS could see you not getting a package for up to two months. I've been waiting for one now since the 10th of August. It was mailed from ND and it took 41 days to get from there to/through Chicago. It left Chicago on the 21 of Sept. (Priority Small Flat Rate Box). This has been the normal shipping times for 2020 for the last 4 packages from this location. Prior to that it was always 8 to 12 days from Mailing to receipt here in Sg.
Clipboard01.jpg
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Sep 2020 1:54 pm

As a footnote, my Economic Impact Payment from the IRS was mailed, along with the letter (separate envelopes) from them on 8 May. I received the letter notifying me of the cheque on 2 July. Never did received the cheque. On the 14th of Aug I spent 40 min with somebody at 1 am in the morning at the IRS to let them know. They told me they would do a trace and I should get a replacement cheque but it might take up to 6 weeks for the tracing to be done. I figured I'd not see the cheque till Xmas at this rate but surprise they managed to get the trace done and mailed me a replacement cheque which I received on the 11th of Sept. Good luck on getting your replacement card.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 26 Sep 2020 2:52 pm

I got both the letter and physical check for the economic impact payment in July.

Thank goodness for mobile deposit, otherwise I’d have to mail it back to the US!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Sep 2020 3:04 pm

Yep. I had to mail it back so anybody's guess when it will show up in my US account.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 26 Sep 2020 5:44 pm

Assume the call to the IRS was free? For about the last 7-8 years I’ve been using Google Voice for free calls/texts to any number in the US. Highly recommend it, but it is a little tricky to set up at first.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 27 Sep 2020 3:21 am

I've been using skype for years. I have a local US number subscription for the US only.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 29 Sep 2020 4:51 pm

Package update. Arrived 30 minutes ago. 49 days after mailing date from North Dakota, USA.

Jgrif96229
Regular
Regular

Post by Jgrif96229 » Tue, 29 Sep 2020 10:08 pm

I can't believe it took 49 days. After reading that I gave a follow up call. Mine has been 16 days out from North Dakota. They agreed to ship Fed Ex. That will most likely mean next Monday.

LESSON LEARNED. There is a reason that walk in DHL and FedEx locations are busy in Singapore.
Joseph griffin

Jgrif96229
Regular
Regular

Post by Jgrif96229 » Sat, 03 Oct 2020 9:48 pm

Fed ex arrived 3 days. The original standard mail shipping from USA still MIA 20 days out
Joseph griffin

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 07 Oct 2020 10:42 am

USPS are unfortunately a political target and are being messed with by the POTUS.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!