Singapore Expats

Chances of PR 2020

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
SingaporeanAtHeart

Chances of PR 2020

Post by SingaporeanAtHeart » Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:29 am

Hello,

We’ve been wanting to apply for PR (for me) for a while but stuff was in the way. Finally in a place to apply, and wondering what the chances are if we applied in 2020. In normal circumstances I would think I have a good chance but now I’m unsure. It’s kind of scary applying because I really don’t want to get rejected. Becoming PR would really help for purchasing an HDB in the near future, and I always have felt more Singaporean than American since I grew up here.

Nationality : American
Marital Status : Married to SC (3 years+)
Religion : Christian
Education : BSc (Hons) second upper
Current Field of Work : Education/customer service
Length of stay : 12-13 years
No of tax return : 2
Salary : Basic 32,400
Pass : LTVP+

Thanks in advance! :)

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Re: Chances of PR 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 12 Aug 2020 9:39 am

SingaporeanAtHeart wrote:
Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:29 am
Hello,

We’ve been wanting to apply for PR (for me) for a while but stuff was in the way. Finally in a place to apply, and wondering what the chances are if we applied in 2020. In normal circumstances I would think I have a good chance but now I’m unsure. It’s kind of scary applying because I really don’t want to get rejected. Becoming PR would really help for purchasing an HDB in the near future, and I always have felt more Singaporean than American since I grew up here.

Can you tell more details about your spouse work, length of stay in sg, CPF, etc? If you apply via the spouse sponsorship, it will be more easier.

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by TropicalExpat » Wed, 12 Aug 2020 10:02 am

Hello,

Wow. that's a long stay here! The big thing in your favour is you are married to a Singaporean, so I imagine you stand a pretty good chance.
The constant question here is what is your ethnicity?
I think your salary is quite low, but again I suspect your length of time in Singapore and your marriage to a SC will weigh in your favour.

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:19 pm

Hello,

You don't need to get PR, to be eligible to buy a HDB, simply because you're married to a Singapore citizen.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:30 pm

OP didn't say anything about buying a resale flat, one would then assume that they want to apply for a new flat like most Singaporean do.
HDBFlat.jpg
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

lkdan2020

Post by lkdan2020 » Thu, 13 Aug 2020 4:05 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:30 pm
OP didn't say anything about buying a resale flat, one would then assume that they want to apply for a new flat like most Singaporean do.

HDBFlat.jpg
I'm curious on the distinction they have made there:
  • At least 1 Singapore Citizen applicant
    At least 1 other Singapore Citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident
I guess you would fulfill the requirement if it was: married couple (SC + Foreigner) + their SC child?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 Aug 2020 10:59 am

lkdan2020,

In theory, yes. However HDB is not clear on that as all point to Single/Divorced Parent with SGC child to form the "family" nucleus. Technically they are married so the Single/Divorced Parent scheme would not apply. A scheme for Married Singaporean with Non-SGC/PR exists but is mute on having any SGC minor offspring (I don't believe a SGC child can have their name on the title). It falls somewhere inbetween and HDB says to contact them with details for clarification. However, in your case, which is what I am currently addressing, you have made no mention of having any children as of yet. The Married SGC with Non-SGC/PR spouse is treated under the Singles scheme as far as grants are concern and is therefore not really the way to go. In your case waiting for PR for the spouse is the best bet when purchasing a new flat.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

maulin.shah

Post by maulin.shah » Thu, 03 Sep 2020 7:44 am

Can check my chances for PR

FAMILY - wife plus 2kids 9yr and 6 yrs
Working in food manufacturing
Exp 20+ , 2yrs in Singapore
Age - 41yrs
Wife - not working , master in computer
Race - Indian
Sal- 140k /year
Tax file - 1

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter

Post by TropicalExpat » Thu, 03 Sep 2020 7:51 am

maulin.shah wrote:
Thu, 03 Sep 2020 7:44 am
Can check my chances for PR

FAMILY - wife plus 2kids 9yr and 6 yrs
Working in food manufacturing
Exp 20+ , 2yrs in Singapore
Age - 41yrs
Wife - not working , master in computer
Race - Indian
Sal- 140k /year
Tax file - 1
I would say very low chance. Unless your wife happens to be Singaporean.
Salary is decent, but ethnicity is a minus. You are also on the older side and you have only filed one tax return.
Your wife is not work - that will also be a factor against your application.

Normally I would say wait for 3 filings before applying, but in your case, your age would weigh even more heavily against you.

maulin.shah

Post by maulin.shah » Thu, 03 Sep 2020 8:26 am

Thanks, if I wait for 2 more hrs then age would be 43. Even if I marry to a singaporean than wouldn’t complete 2yrs.

Doesn’t sound promising to stay longer in Singapore and show my love to this city.

Will COVID situation Be any help when less competition or less applicants applying?
Last edited by maulin.shah on Thu, 03 Sep 2020 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Thu, 03 Sep 2020 8:28 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:30 pm
New flats take 5-7 years to build these days, from the date of purchase. Post Covid realities.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bro75 » Thu, 03 Sep 2020 9:00 am

maulin.shah wrote:
Thu, 03 Sep 2020 8:26 am
Thanks, if I wait for 2 more hrs then age would be 43. Even if I marry to a singaporean than wouldn’t complete 2yrs.

Doesn’t sound promising to stay longer in Singapore and show my love to this city.

Will COVID situation Be any help when less competition or less applicants applying?
The only thing to do is to try. The chance of approval is low based on our experience, but it is not zero.

maulin.shah

Post by maulin.shah » Thu, 03 Sep 2020 9:17 am

One of my friend 48 with salary 200+ Director position and Only wife no kid applied , 2 tax file. What’s ur say?

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter

Post by TropicalExpat » Thu, 03 Sep 2020 9:29 am

maulin.shah wrote:
Thu, 03 Sep 2020 8:26 am

less applicants? No. Definitely more applicants!
Gov is supporting salaries now and once that stops, people will be let go for sure. They only have a month before they have to leave Singapore.
I'm sure most of these people will want to stay if they have a choice, and will be applying.
I expect a tidal wave of applications (if it hasn't already started now) by the end of the year.

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter

Post by TropicalExpat » Thu, 03 Sep 2020 9:31 am

maulin.shah wrote:
Thu, 03 Sep 2020 9:17 am
One of my friend 48 with salary 200+ Director position and Only wife no kid applied , 2 tax file. What’s ur say?
I would say at his age, it is probably low chance but you need to provide us more information.
What ethnicity and nationalities (both)?
Do they have kids? (i.e. have they left the kids off the application).
What field are they in?
Do they both work?