Singapore Expats

Malaysian renouncing citizenship

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
nat0

Post by nat0 » Mon, 29 Jun 2020 12:04 pm

hello...

wondered if anyone here have just renounced their Malaysian citizenship?
I would like to know the process of withdrawing EPF from Malaysia and also how to convert the driving license to Singapore driving license..

not sure if anyone here can help... TIA

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Mon, 29 Jun 2020 12:13 pm

nat0 wrote:hello...

I would like to know the process of withdrawing EPF from Malaysia and also how to convert the driving license to Singapore driving license..

https://www.kwsp.gov.my/member/withdraw ... he-country

https://www.sixt.com.sg/driving-in-sing ... g-licence/

Make sure you keep and bring a copy of your Entry Permit (given to you when you completed your PR formality) to prove that you obtained your Malaysian driving license before becoming a PR.

The links should be pretty much self explanatory.

nat0

Re: Malaysian renouncing citizenship

Post by nat0 » Mon, 29 Jun 2020 12:22 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:
Mon, 29 Jun 2020 12:13 pm
nat0 wrote:hello...

https://www.kwsp.gov.my/member/withdraw ... he-country

https://www.sixt.com.sg/driving-in-sing ... g-licence/

Make sure you keep and bring a copy of your Entry Permit (given to you when you completed your PR formality) to prove that you obtained your Malaysian driving license before becoming a PR.

The links should be pretty much self explanatory.

thanks but i'm referring to renouncing Malaysia citizenship, already gotten Singapore citizenship and wish to withdraw EPF and convert my driving license, i didn't drive for all the years i'm in Singapore but got renew my driving license in malaysia, in that case do i need to retake driving test or just BTT will do?
just confused with the process, can i convert my license after i renounce or must be before?

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Mon, 29 Jun 2020 12:34 pm

nat0 wrote:thanks but i'm referring to renouncing Malaysia citizenship, already gotten Singapore citizenship and wish to withdraw EPF and convert my driving license, i didn't drive for all the years i'm in Singapore but got renew my driving license in malaysia, in that case do i need to retake driving test or just BTT will do?
just confused with the process, can i convert my license after i renounce or must be before?
Have you renounced your Malaysian citizenship at the Malaysian High Comm? From your post sounds like you haven’t. You need to complete a Borang K at the point of renunciation. The form will be sent to Putrajaya for approval and it will take 6 to 9 months to get it back, i.e. Malaysia formally accepts your renunciation. You need to have the said Borang K for EPF withdrawal. But before that you need to go to the bank to change your status from Warganegara to non-Warganegara before EPF allows the transfer of fund.

For driving licence, you just need to take BTT at one of the driving schools, extract your Malaysian driving records from JPJ (can be done before your BTT but beware of the validity period requirement), once you pass BTT you can apply for license but bring along your SPR Entry Permit (not to be confused with Re-entry Permit) for the reason I stated above.

nat0

Post by nat0 » Mon, 29 Jun 2020 12:52 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:
Mon, 29 Jun 2020 12:34 pm
nat0 wrote:thanks but i'm referring to renouncing Malaysia citizenship, already gotten Singapore citizenship and wish to withdraw EPF and convert my driving license, i didn't drive for all the years i'm in Singapore but got renew my driving license in malaysia, in that case do i need to retake driving test or just BTT will do?
Have you renounced your Malaysian citizenship at the Malaysian High Comm? From your post sounds like you haven’t. You need to complete a Borang K at the point of renunciation. The form will be sent to Putrajaya for approval and it will take 6 to 9 months to get it back, i.e. Malaysia formally accepts your renunciation. You need to have the said Borang K for EPF withdrawal. But before that you need to go to the bank to change your status from Warganegara to non-Warganegara before EPF allows the transfer of fund.

For driving licence, you just need to take BTT at one of the driving schools, extract your Malaysian driving records from JPJ (can be done before your BTT but beware of the validity period requirement), once you pass BTT you can apply for license but bring along your SPR Entry Permit (not to be confused with Re-entry Permit) for the reason I stated above.
yes i haven't renounced, just only completed the e-journey and waiting for letter.

so in order to withdraw EPF i need to have the original copy of Borang K? which means i can only do so 6-9 months after i completed the renounce? that's a long wait but i'm not surprised since they're that "efficient"

for driving license i have to get it done before i renounce? means i have to convert my license when i'm still holding my PR and not after i completed the citizenship process am i right?

The steps should be - BTT and convert licence > renounce > withdraw EPF?

another question is that my hub owns a car in malaysia, he needs to transfer ownership before renounce too right?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 29 Jun 2020 2:26 pm

No he can own a car in MY as a Singapore citizen I believe.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Mon, 29 Jun 2020 2:48 pm

Driving license - you may need to check with the driving schools offering BTT. You will need to wait for weeks or months for the earliest slot. I’m not too sure but I think you can still convert your license after you have completed your SC formality. Again, what I have been trying to say is you need to be able to prove you obtained your MY license prior to becoming an SPR. Hence the importance of Entry Permit. Because they authorities here do not accept those who took their driving test in their countries of origin after they became PR for conversion. You know how it works in MY, kopi can settle many things.

PNGMK is right. Nothing stopping your hubby from owning a car in MY. If he plans to transfer ownership after becoming an SC, it falls back on Borang K.

So in summary, you need Borang K to unwind your positions in MY or cut ties, literally

nat0

Post by nat0 » Mon, 29 Jun 2020 3:01 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:
Mon, 29 Jun 2020 2:48 pm
Driving license - you may need to check with the driving schools offering BTT. You will need to wait for weeks or months for the earliest slot. I’m not too sure but I think you can still convert your license after you have completed your SC formality. Again, what I have been trying to say is you need to be able to prove you obtained your MY license prior to becoming an SPR. Hence the importance of Entry Permit. Because they authorities here do not accept those who took their driving test in their countries of origin after they became PR for conversion. You know how it works in MY, kopi can settle many things.

PNGMK is right. Nothing stopping your hubby from owning a car in MY. If he plans to transfer ownership after becoming an SC, it falls back on Borang K.

So in summary, you need Borang K to unwind your positions in MY or cut ties, literally
ok got it, thanks for explaining

subconwretch

Post by subconwretch » Wed, 01 Jul 2020 11:28 pm

There is no compulsion to "convert" your driving licence, you can choose not to do so if you wish, and you can still drive in Malaysia with it while its valid. There is no difference from during the time you are a PR - you still cant drive in Singapore.

You can choose to convert it anytime after, as long as your Malaysia driving licence is still valid and you can obtain the letter from JPJ.

What you need to prove with the entry permit is that you have obtained your licence and have stayed in Malaysia for at least a year with that licence, before you came to Singapore.

Same criteria applies to Singaporeans/PRs by birth who have obtained their licences overseas and wish to convert it. Need to prove that they have lived in that country for at least a year.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 02 Jul 2020 8:26 am

Actually you can time out on licence conversion after getting PR. I think you only have 12 months to do it.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Thu, 02 Jul 2020 8:47 am

PNGMK wrote:Actually you can time out on licence conversion after getting PR. I think you only have 12 months to do it.
That’s what I was told too, years back. But I did manage to convert my license 3.5 years after becoming a PR.

nat0

Post by nat0 » Thu, 02 Jul 2020 9:39 am

subconwretch wrote:
Wed, 01 Jul 2020 11:28 pm
There is no compulsion to "convert" your driving licence, you can choose not to do so if you wish, and you can still drive in Malaysia with it while its valid. There is no difference from during the time you are a PR - you still cant drive in Singapore.

You can choose to convert it anytime after, as long as your Malaysia driving licence is still valid and you can obtain the letter from JPJ.

What you need to prove with the entry permit is that you have obtained your licence and have stayed in Malaysia for at least a year with that licence, before you came to Singapore.

Same criteria applies to Singaporeans/PRs by birth who have obtained their licences overseas and wish to convert it. Need to prove that they have lived in that country for at least a year.
Question is will my malaysia driving license still valid after i renounce malaysia citizenship? if i can still obtain the JPJ letter after i renounced then i'm not in rush. i want to get this done as i don't want to spend few thousands to do the driving test here in Singapore, though i don't have a car yet but maybe future we'll get a car so it's better to convert the driving license with just going through the BTT.

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Thu, 02 Jul 2020 10:11 am

That will depend on how soon you need to complete your SC formality and when the border opens up. As you need to enter JB to get the letter from JPJ. If you need to renounce your citizenship before the border opens, then you won’t be able to get the letter in time. You can try asking the High Comm staff what will happen to your license, not sure if they are able to advise.

Probably best to call JPJ to confirm if the driving license will be cancelled automatically the moment you give up your Malaysian citizenship. Logically, no as forefinger who live in Malaysia can also obtain a driving license there. But Malaysia being Malaysia, best to hear it from the authorities.

You may also want to ask if they will accept your citizenship renunciation form, your Singapore passport, a certified true copy of your Malaysian NRIC and/or the original Malaysian driving license as proof of identity for letter request.

nat0

Post by nat0 » Thu, 02 Jul 2020 11:25 am

jamie9vardy wrote:
Thu, 02 Jul 2020 10:11 am
That will depend on how soon you need to complete your SC formality and when the border opens up. As you need to enter JB to get the letter from JPJ. If you need to renounce your citizenship before the border opens, then you won’t be able to get the letter in time. You can try asking the High Comm staff what will happen to your license, not sure if they are able to advise.

Probably best to call JPJ to confirm if the driving license will be cancelled automatically the moment you give up your Malaysian citizenship. Logically, no as forefinger who live in Malaysia can also obtain a driving license there. But Malaysia being Malaysia, best to hear it from the authorities.

You may also want to ask if they will accept your citizenship renunciation form, your Singapore passport, a certified true copy of your Malaysian NRIC and/or the original Malaysian driving license as proof of identity for letter request.
ok thanks.. looking at it the best is to obtain the JPJ letter first before i complete the formality

quest010

Post by quest010 » Thu, 20 Aug 2020 10:31 am

nat0 wrote:
Thu, 02 Jul 2020 11:25 am
jamie9vardy wrote:
Thu, 02 Jul 2020 10:11 am

ok thanks.. looking at it the best is to obtain the JPJ letter first before i complete the formality
So I am in the same situation you were in now, going through the e-journey and am trying to figure out how to convert my driving license. With the borders still closed, did you manage to find a way to get the letter from JPJ ?