Singapore Expats

Cautiously calculating chances....PR...maybe?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
littlegal

Cautiously calculating chances....PR...maybe?

Post by littlegal » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 2:32 pm

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking on this forum for quite a while now, and have been reading everyone's interactions. It's been very illuminating to read all the information!

I have been contemplating applying for PR but am fully cognisant of COVID-19, and the upcoming GE, and how all of that could affect everything. I do not have plans to apply immediately, but sort of just wanted to check things out and get a sense of where I stand.

A big thank you in advance for anyone who takes the time to read and respond!

So, about myself:

Nationality [yeeeep, aware that it's probably a disadvantage]: Indian
Gender and Age: Female, 25
Education: Attended a local SG university for undergrad, 4 year course
Been in the workforce: Slightly over 2 years, paid taxes....twice? {will double-check}
Total number of years in SG: Nearly 7 years
Industry: Public relations, marketing
Salary: 3k+

Not sure if there are any other details I should include? Do let me know and I will try my best to provide.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: [Cautiously calculating chances....PR...maybe?]

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 5:21 pm

You're young enough and qualified enough. Industry you're in isn't great. How are you here at present? On a EP?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: [Cautiously calculating chances....PR...maybe?]

Post by abbby » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 6:39 pm

Yup..the industry doesn't seem great. I do believe in the next 1-2 years they would really look into your job scope and how you as a PR can contribute to Covid times..
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

littlegal

Re: Cautiously calculating chances....PR...maybe?

Post by littlegal » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 9:10 pm

Hi @PNGMK yes, I am here on an Employment Pass!

@abbby, yeah...though switching jobs or industries now would be disastrous. Would a promotion help? Extra qualifications?

ICE_MAN

Post by ICE_MAN » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 9:45 pm

littlegal wrote:
Tue, 30 Jun 2020 2:32 pm
Hello everyone!

I've been lurking on this forum for quite a while now, and have been reading everyone's interactions. It's been very illuminating to read all the information!

I have been contemplating applying for PR but am fully cognisant of COVID-19, and the upcoming GE, and how all of that could affect everything. I do not have plans to apply immediately, but sort of just wanted to check things out and get a sense of where I stand.

So, about myself:

Been in the workforce: Slightly over 2 years, paid taxes....twice? {will double-check}

Not sure if there are any other details I should include? Do let me know and I will try my best to provide.
I’d like to be objective. In the current situation (leaving covid aside) your chances of getting a PR is between almost 0% and most definitely 0% unless :

1. You get married to a Singapore Citizen who makes atleast 7 to 10k per month and willing to sponsor you -OR-
2. You get a position offered by certain ministries (or LTA) where the clearance requires you to be SPR or SC and where no SPR or SC is eligible or available for that position.

Alternatively, you may apply for PR when you are in Singapore for 10 years atleast (preferably 10 to 15 years) and atleast 7k SGD salary per month, where the chances can still be quite slim unless immigration policies change drastically (there are people from your subcontinent who have been in SG for atleast 10 years making 8 to 10times as much, still in the queue ahead of you).

I hope this helps you make an informed decision.

littlegal

Post by littlegal » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 9:49 pm

@ICE_MAN Thank you for the insights!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 11:07 pm

ICE_MAN wrote:
Tue, 30 Jun 2020 9:45 pm
littlegal wrote:
Hello everyone!

So, about myself:

I’d like to be objective. In the current situation (leaving covid aside) your chances of getting a PR is between almost 0% and most definitely 0% unless :

1. You get married to a Singapore Citizen who makes atleast 7 to 10k per month and willing to sponsor you -OR-
2. You get a position offered by certain ministries (or LTA) where the clearance requires you to be SPR or SC and where no SPR or SC is eligible or available for that position.

Alternatively, you may apply for PR when you are in Singapore for 10 years atleast (preferably 10 to 15 years) and atleast 7k SGD salary per month, where the chances can still be quite slim unless immigration policies change drastically (there are people from your subcontinent who have been in SG for atleast 10 years making 8 to 10times as much, still in the queue ahead of you).

I hope this helps you make an informed decision.
Your info is not correct. Option 1 - cant sponsor for atleast 2 years after marriage. Are you sure option 2 will work? I doubt so

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 11:10 pm

littlegal wrote:
Hello everyone!

So, about myself:

Negatives:
Ethnicity
Salary on the lower side
Industry

Wait till your salary reaches 5.5 to 6K and only then you will have some chance. See, what you can improve education wise till then. Till then no. I would not advise you on other alternative routes to get PR, etc

I assume you are under the Tuition grant option or your university would have given you the letter to be eligible for EP. That is the reason you might have got an EP, else currently the minimum salary for EP is around 3.9K.

So, see what can be done to improve your career and also your salary.

littlegal

Post by littlegal » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 11:53 pm

Hi @singaporeflyer, thank you for the input! My EP renewal isn't up until later next year, so I do have some time to make things better - hopefully via promotions or training programs or hopefully both!

To answer your question, yes, I am under the Tuition Grant. My worry is of course, what happens once I conclude serving the bond. My worry is the renewal + finding the right time to apply.

subconwretch

Post by subconwretch » Wed, 01 Jul 2020 11:05 pm

littlegal wrote:
Hello everyone!

So, about myself:

"Probably" is an understatement, but I'd say your age, local qualification, younger years spent here, gender (i.e. lack of NS envy), and the fact that you've not married another Indian out of all other people here more than make up for that disadvantage.

I've been a lurker here too for far longer, and most rejections are adult immigrant couples with basic qualifications from India (Masters doesn't count for much). If you've been granted an EP, and can near about hit the minimums, the income criteria has been taken care of.

I still fail to understand the obsession with income numbers on this forum despite the lack of any anecdotal evidence even. I don't think it matters as much, if at all, unless you have dependents on your application. If you're not paid lower than the average local doing the same job, you're likely ok.

littlegal

Post by littlegal » Wed, 01 Jul 2020 11:07 pm

@subconwretch thank you for the input!! My partner is Singaporean Chinese though ahahaha :)

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 01 Jul 2020 11:23 pm

subconwretch wrote:
Wed, 01 Jul 2020 11:05 pm
littlegal wrote:
Hello everyone!

So, about myself:

If you've been granted an EP, and can near about hit the minimums, the income criteria has been taken care of.
You should know that if they study in a local University, they will be eligible for EP with slightly lesser restrictions/salary than the requirement. You cannot assume that to say that salary / income criteria has been taken care of. The OP will find it tough when she changes job and there is no letter from the university for helping for the new EP.

@OP, are you saying you are married? if not, partner does not count. If you are married and he sponsors you for PR after atleast 2 years of marriage and he has good financial standing, then it will make a difference to your PR application.

littlegal

Post by littlegal » Wed, 01 Jul 2020 11:31 pm

@Singaporeflyer, I'm 25, I think marriage is not on the table for atleast a few years! :'D I'd prefer to earn my PR on my own merit than lean on my partner :')

I also do not intend to change jobs anytime soon, I love what I do. The plan is to continuously upskill and climb the ranks.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 01 Jul 2020 11:50 pm

littlegal wrote:
Wed, 01 Jul 2020 11:31 pm
@Singaporeflyer, I'm 25, I think marriage is not on the table for atleast a few years! :'D I'd prefer to earn my PR on my own merit than lean on my partner :')

I also do not intend to change jobs anytime soon, I love what I do. The plan is to continuously upskill and climb the ranks.
I didnt recommend to get married. Since you suddenly said your partner is singaporean chinese, i had to make that statement if in case you were married.

subconwretch

Post by subconwretch » Wed, 01 Jul 2020 11:53 pm

littlegal wrote:
Wed, 01 Jul 2020 11:07 pm
@subconwretch thank you for the input!! My partner is Singaporean Chinese though ahahaha :)
I'm so glad. Thank you for not reinforcing the stereotype! :D