Singapore Expats

New platform to make finding repair/installation/renovation services a breeze

Post here for survey, questionnaire or poll for our expat members.
Sgw

New platform to make finding repair/installation/renovation services a breeze

Post by Sgw » Sun, 28 Jun 2020 3:29 pm

Hi guys! We are a team of undergraduates doing a survey to kind of gauge Singaporean's take on the current process of procuring home services such as repair/ installation/ renovation for our startup ideation. Would really really appreciate it if you guys could help us do a short survey (2mins) to help us understand the market better! Thank you :D

The survey link is:
tinyurl.com/HomerserviceSR

Sgw

Re: New platform to make finding repair/installation/renovation services a breeze

Post by Sgw » Sun, 28 Jun 2020 3:29 pm

Please do also leave any feedback here! :)

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Re: New platform to make finding repair/installation/renovation services a breeze

Post by martincymru » Sun, 28 Jun 2020 9:36 pm

is this a joke?

tt1973
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tt1973 » Sun, 28 Jun 2020 11:57 pm

I find it is relatively EASY to get quotes for those work
martincymru wrote:
Sun, 28 Jun 2020 9:36 pm
is this a joke?
LOL

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Mon, 29 Jun 2020 11:07 am

Don't need a new platform to get quotes you will only need references in this forum or recommdations from friends and relatives.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Mon, 29 Jun 2020 2:49 pm

A similar platform was tried years ago in Sg., it was posted on this forum. In fact I spoke to the OP and explained in detail why his idea of matching trades people to customers was not going to work. It didn't.

Aside, "procurement" is a complex matter (as I have said previously in this and other forums). I strongly urge the public to engage a qualified local surveyor or such like to (a) prepare documents (b) supervise

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 29 Jun 2020 5:41 pm

martincymru wrote:
Mon, 29 Jun 2020 2:49 pm
A similar platform was tried years ago in Sg., it was posted on this forum. In fact I spoke to the OP and explained in detail why his idea of matching trades people to customers was not going to work. It didn't.

Aside, "procurement" is a complex matter (as I have said previously in this and other forums). I strongly urge the public to engage a qualified local surveyor or such like to (a) prepare documents (b) supervise
Spoken like a seasoned QS!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sgw

Post by Sgw » Mon, 29 Jun 2020 9:22 pm

abbby wrote:
Mon, 29 Jun 2020 11:07 am
Don't need a new platform to get quotes you will only need references in this forum or recommdations from friends and relatives.
I know where youre coming from! but our intention is to eliminate the need to go around forums/ asking for recomendations each time you need to repair or install something

Sgw

Post by Sgw » Mon, 29 Jun 2020 9:26 pm

martincymru wrote:

Hey Martin! thank you for your reply :) was wondering if you are able to elaborate briefly on why it is not going to work? Also, I just wanted to add that the idea is not exactly to match trades people t o customers. Rather, I would like to offer a platform for customers to have access to a greater range of these trades people and be able to view the market rate, reviews and ratings before making a choice. Do let me know what are possible issues if you dont mind! :D

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 12:31 pm

Sgw wrote:
Mon, 29 Jun 2020 9:26 pm
martincymru wrote:

Hey Martin! thank you for your reply :) was wondering if you are able to elaborate briefly on why it is not going to work? Also, I just wanted to add that the idea is not exactly to match trades people t o customers. Rather, I would like to offer a platform for customers to have access to a greater range of these trades people and be able to view the market rate, reviews and ratings before making a choice. Do let me know what are possible issues if you dont mind! :D
The first post reads like a survey not a business idea. OK, I will try to help:

are you qualified in construction / engineering and do you have experience?
do you fully understand what is and the reason for
a. drawings
b. spec
c. BQ's
d. Contract ?

Will the customer obtain multiple quotes? If so then how to compare apples with apples in absence of one unified document(s)?

Does the customer know what he/she is buying?

I presume you will charge a fee or commission to both the customer and merchant similar to AirBnB's model? Please explain further.

What will be the contractual relationship between you, the customer and the merchant should things go pear shaped?

Is the platform a "service" i.e "Works" as opposed to 'supply only'.?

Define "market rate" please. It could mean the bread market after all that is a "market" in itself. There is no such thing as a construction market rate in the truest sense 'cos 99% of projects are tender based notwithstanding some projects are "negotiated" (we did see recently a negotiated contract in the Public Sector - COVID-19).

Every project is unique so standardised "rates" per se are not obtainable.

Most "Works" involve multiple trades all of which require careful sequencing, logistical juggling, contractual management etc. You get a quote to install curtains but what if the plaster falls off the ceiling with the first screw? Who pays? Is it a variation? How to correctly price a variation? Project delayed? Curtain installer not capable of plastering? Painter, make good/touch up?

I could go on and on.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Wed, 01 Jul 2020 11:46 am

It will work. It's not easy to set up and it will take time before you get decent traction on both the supply and the demand side. But it will work.

In fact, after it's been up and running for a few years, we'll all wonder how we managed without.

Incidentally, I've only had to call on a tradesman a few times in the past. Both events were a veritable nightmare. And that was after wading through a number of try-your-luck quotes, unanswered calls, non-returned calls, language issues and other assorted nonsense.

It will work.

dianap75

Post by dianap75 » Wed, 21 Oct 2020 5:18 pm

Have helped with the survey :)