Singapore Expats

When do you think we can stop wearing masks?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Zhou Anqi

Re: When do you think we can stop wearing masks?

Post by Zhou Anqi » Wed, 10 Jun 2020 10:18 am

wearing a mask is a essential thing here in singapore!

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Wed, 10 Jun 2020 10:46 am

Zhou Anqi wrote:
Wed, 10 Jun 2020 10:18 am
wearing a mask is a essential thing here in singapore!
I feel , if things get ok and fine by year end maybe no need wear Mask.

Just like New Zealand , their folks now never wear masks everything go back to normal as they have zero case , the last patient already recover and discharged but one thing have to take point those been infected ones their body still have the virus.

Of course will not spread, so call claim by those experts, doc , researchers. They claim the first few weeks the spreading will be very high. After one month or so , despite they test positive , recover , the virus is not so call deadly spreading around as it lose it power to spread.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Jun 2020 11:50 am

The big difference is that all Kiwis worked together to break covid. That isn't happening here. Everybody is trying to game the government and its only going to take longer the more the people continue to play-play.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by BigginHill » Wed, 10 Jun 2020 12:40 pm

SGBoyxxx wrote:
Wed, 10 Jun 2020 10:46 am
Be prepared to wear mask 24/7 for the next 2-3 years whenever outside your residence. Currently looks like that's the way it's going.

NZ is an isolated island nation and self-sufficient in many things, so it's easier (if painful) to keep their borders shut and mandate strict quarantine. They're in a reasonable position to maintain their virus eradication status.

Singapore is self-sufficient in nothing apart from money, so eventually we'll need to open up our borders to some degree. Even if we could locally eradicate the virus within the next couple of months, long term it'd be almost impossible to avoid bringing it back in. We can't keep the Malaysia border closed for 2-3 years or stop bringing in workers from India, Bangladesh.

Hence the new normal of being suspended in this limbo of restrictions until a vaccine or treatment is widely available. :(

One thing that could be a real game changer is an easy, rapid, cheap, accurate & less invasive COVID-19 test. Current ones are expensive, somewhat uncomfortable, require medical staff & not super accurate.

In comparison, I doubt TraceTogether, SafeEntry etc will turn things around for us. They're all post-infection. Useful tools at best.

One could even start wondering in which country it would be best to ride out this pandemic in the coming years... - safety will definitely continue being a highlight of Singapore, so it's got that going for it. But it's a dense, physically stifling, congested place. For people seeking higher education, maybe countries like NZ & Australia will look better...

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Wed, 10 Jun 2020 1:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 10 Jun 2020 11:50 am
The big difference is that all Kiwis worked together to break covid. That isn't happening here. Everybody is trying to game the government and its only going to take longer the more the people continue to play-play.
:oops: I have to make myself clear first lol. I'm a true blue Singaporean here. My parents are true blue Singaporeans.

To be honest, last time SG government is Ok , LKY does improve Singapore no doubt he does play " dirty come politics " Opposition that time in SG is quite strong too. A lot support for it.

Well but end of the day , As long Sg in progress everyone is happy that is fine.
One thing perhaps due to Golden period of the 80s and 90s . Not just Asia, even come western side everyone still miss those good old days of simple life.

Some will claim Due to information overloads now a days come internet. I don't feel so on this.
This make us more informative etc.

One thing bad of course the Politicians have to beware etc , information leaks etc.
So , here come " fake news law etc. " but to me , first let's be open minded set your mind free don't ben narrow minded. This is very important.

Who " create fake news, mis information first ??? Usually are the Gov themselves is every Gov in fact now a days " and they come out " fake news laws is to protect their Party interest, ruling power "

Even you product evidences , facts , " they can just brush off all are fake , mis lead the people " :P

Back to this Covi19 , oh I JUST see OFFICIAL news so call from Strait times. It claim SG now is the 4th safest country come Covi19.

Actually to be honest SG is small, very high density , due to SG Government open policy ,

well that is good but the problem is SG Gov never checks and maintain the public facilities , I mean if you want more people , your current transport, etc must be in check

is not " Able to squeeze even more theory here " is able to make every one feel comfortable

Last time back in good old days SG is better , I believe here some expats who have gone through the good old days of 80s and 90s in SG will agreed likewise and compare with now .....is crap

The problem now SG Gov is missing is another great leader with Visionary.

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Wed, 10 Jun 2020 1:16 pm

BigginHill wrote:
Wed, 10 Jun 2020 12:40 pm
SGBoyxxx wrote:
Wed, 10 Jun 2020 10:46 am
Be prepared to wear mask 24/7 for the next 2-3 years whenever outside your residence. Currently looks like that's the way it's going.

NZ is an isolated island nation and self-sufficient in many things, so it's easier (if painful) to keep their borders shut and mandate strict quarantine. They're in a reasonable position to maintain their virus eradication status.

Singapore is self-sufficient in nothing apart from money, so eventually we'll need to open up our borders to some degree. Even if we could locally eradicate the virus within the next couple of months, long term it'd be almost impossible to avoid bringing it back in. We can't keep the Malaysia border closed for 2-3 years or stop bringing in workers from India, Bangladesh.

Hence the new normal of being suspended in this limbo of restrictions until a vaccine or treatment is widely available. :(

One thing that could be a real game changer is an easy, rapid, cheap, accurate & less invasive COVID-19 test. Current ones are expensive, somewhat uncomfortable, require medical staff & not super accurate.

In comparison, I doubt TraceTogether, SafeEntry etc will turn things around for us. They're all post-infection. Useful tools at best.

One could even start wondering in which country it would be best to ride out this pandemic in the coming years... - safety will definitely continue being a highlight of Singapore, so it's got that going for it. But it's a dense, physically stifling, congested place. For people seeking higher education, maybe countries like NZ & Australia will look better...
:oops:

I actually don't feel shock SG Gov will claim " No choice "

yes SG don't have it own big resources, a lot things are import from other countries,
even come Investors etc

SG one thing negative is itself don't produce many Bosses around or its own Corporations

even yes is Not say really Private, is literally behind own by Sg Gov behind
which don't say contribute much in the end.

Look at USA , no matter how mess , how crappy , USA still able to survive itself , simply because they have many big own corporations around. Apple, Google , you name it.

Just recently look at the stock market at USA , in Bullish mode for days only yesterday dip a bit.

depsite Covi19, how messy recent it is , protest on Floye , rascism etc stuffs , Trump blah blah

I does know a lot jobless in USA now .

This here come the " mis information , SG gov so call claim got many jobs ? no much retrechnment ? "

look SG have lots of USA investment here beside China

Even China has retrechment , GDP drop etc.

SG been a small country without much resources of it own , yet SG Gov " can tell u no much people in SG jobless ??? "

actually they does mention " be prepare but in the sense keep it low profile "

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Thu, 11 Jun 2020 8:14 am

Wonder what all the anti-vaxxers are thinking now.

Will they take the vaccine if it becomes available?

What about all the other vaccines that are recommended?

This is the real world now. All those other vaccines have sufficiently suppressed the target diseases to below noticeable levels (well, you see measles resurgence now, and even some polio).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 11 Jun 2020 11:42 am

They still have the Flat Earth Society to fall back on.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 11 Jun 2020 11:54 am

SGBoyxxx wrote:
Wed, 10 Jun 2020 1:10 pm
:oops: I have to make myself clear first lol. I'm a true blue Singaporean here. My parents are true blue Singaporeans.

To be honest, last time SG government is Ok , LKY does improve Singapore no doubt he does play " dirty come politics " Opposition that time in SG is quite strong too. A lot support for it.

Well but end of the day , As long Sg in progress everyone is happy that is fine.
One thing perhaps due to Golden period of the 80s and 90s . Not just Asia, even come western side everyone still miss those good old days of simple life.

Some will claim Due to information overloads now a days come internet. I don't feel so on this.

One thing bad of course the Politicians have to beware etc , information leaks etc.
So , here come " fake news law etc. " but to me , first let's be open minded set your mind free don't ben narrow minded. This is very important.

Who " create fake news, mis information first ??? Usually are the Gov themselves is every Gov in fact now a days " and they come out " fake news laws is to protect their Party interest, ruling power "

Even you product evidences , facts , " they can just brush off all are fake , mis lead the people " :P

Back to this Covi19 , oh I JUST see OFFICIAL news so call from Strait times. It claim SG now is the 4th safest country come Covi19.

Actually to be honest SG is small, very high density , due to SG Government open policy ,

well that is good but the problem is SG Gov never checks and maintain the public facilities , I mean if you want more people , your current transport, etc must be in check

is not " Able to squeeze even more theory here " is able to make every one feel comfortable

Last time back in good old days SG is better , I believe here some expats who have gone through the good old days of 80s and 90s in SG will agreed likewise and compare with now .....is crap

1. Anyone who calls themselves a true blue Singapore/Aussie/American is usually a nationalistic asshole. It's code for "I was here first and you late comers are not welcome". So freak off with that phrase mate please.

2. Yes, a lack of leadership is a problem here. I think Heng is reasonable and CCS while struggling to communicate effectively is ok but Josephine needs to be fired. She is utterly blind to the economic devastation her mismanagement of the worker dorm has caused. Frankly I consider so incompetent as to wish she could be pushed into exile. Unfortunately LSL has no vision to lead us out of this mess.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Mon, 13 Jul 2020 1:38 am

PNGMK wrote:
Thu, 11 Jun 2020 11:54 am
SGBoyxxx wrote:
Wed, 10 Jun 2020 1:10 pm

1. Anyone who calls themselves a true blue Singapore/Aussie/American is usually a nationalistic asshole. It's code for "I was here first and you late comers are not welcome". So freak off with that phrase mate please.

2. Yes, a lack of leadership is a problem here. I think Heng is reasonable and CCS while struggling to communicate effectively is ok but Josephine needs to be fired. She is utterly blind to the economic devastation her mismanagement of the worker dorm has caused. Frankly I consider so incompetent as to wish she could be pushed into exile. Unfortunately LSL has no vision to lead us out of this mess.
Come on mate, Peace, what i mean true blue singaporean is Singaporean with fellow Singaporean married. Locals . Do note i not bias on foreigners married with a local to become so call new citizen here etc.
Nevertheless, since we stay in SG , we want the Gov do better right? So do this Ruling party.

Yup , You also can see that , CCS is struggling , Josephine is crap.

I don't like these two , For Heng I fine with him, everyone got different views but come to CCS and Josphines this is not doubt MOST Singaporean dislike them and yes , LHL is not a visionary unlike his dad LKY.

In fact LKY " play dirty back then " Opposition is very strong every parties just like LKY " knows to play the game " nevertheless as what people say Politics is a Dirty game but end of the day as long LKY do great for the Country than is ok

as years gone by , PM change , etc , sadly LHL is the crappy ones. He gather a team label 4G ?? I guess next time he label 5G

Nevertheless he slowly going to step down as PM , He already keep mention about " handing over to the 4G team "

He actually is more into " mentor role just like Goh who retire "

I feel quite ok , at least the people of Singapore knows what happen to this NEW PAP over the past 5 years.

Actually honestly People is not against foreigners come in SG etc Job , no doubt a lot is target on CECA. if u know that term.

Most also dislike the increasing cost of living in SG. etc, and yes GST increase going to start next year.

By right Gov plan to start this year but due to Covi19 they delay till next year.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 03 Feb 2021 9:45 pm

I’m pretty sure the government will only ease restrictions when the Covid cases have reduced to almost 0. In that sense, the only way to stop wearing masks is to keep wearing masks. If we all do our part, eventually the cases will go down to zero and we can finally leave the house without a mask on.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Feb 2021 11:10 pm

I reckon after CNY we will all be back to Phase 1
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Addadude » Thu, 04 Feb 2021 9:17 am

Wed, 03 Feb 2021 11:10 pm
Alas, I have to agree with you there... :(
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

jptsr1

Post by jptsr1 » Thu, 04 Feb 2021 5:53 pm

Wed, 03 Feb 2021 11:10 pm
For sure.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Thu, 04 Feb 2021 7:18 pm

I've been really thinking about writing a few essays about wearing masks and how it impacts my personality. Wonder where I could get help to find the inner-writer in me.

I'm just too bored, even replied to this. Mask I don't mind, but lack of travelling is getting in my head.