Singapore Expats

PR approval probability 2020

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: PR approval probability 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 12 May 2020 7:32 pm

dupo wrote:
Tue, 12 May 2020 6:18 pm
Hello folks,

Similar to others who are curious to hear opinions on their profile, I am going to put mine out there and would like to hear your thoughts before I apply for the second time(first time was Jan 2019, rejected in July 2019 and didn't appeal). I know the ICA process is a black box, but it does give one some level of comfort to hear from those who have been through the process/or know about it more than oneself :

Primary applicant : Me
Ethnicity : Indian (I know.. another one!), worked in India for 4 years in banking before coming to SG
Time in SG : close to 7 years now. 2 years NUS + 5 years working for the same MNC
Industry : Financial services for a trading company ( Credit Risk Management)
Salary : $125k base + reasonable variable
Education : NUS Master's Degree + Master's Degree in Business in India + Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engg in India + Certified Financial Risk Manager(FRM) (I do like to study a lot..)

Secondary applicant : Wife (got married 4.5 years ago, no kids yet)
Ethnicity : Indian, worked in India for 4 years in consulting before coming to SG
Time in SG : close to 7 years now. 2 years NUS + 5 years working for 2 different Tech MNCs
Industry : HR
Salary : $115k base + reasonable variable
Education : NUS Master's Degree + Bachelor's degree in Statistics in India

We believe that we are well integrated in to the society with the uni experience & friends here, and also contributing to society in the usual ways(volunteering, investments, etc). I don't think that carries any weight as there is no way for ICA to really gauge that.

Thanks for taking a look.
Not going to be easy. Reason is with almost the same profile you got rejected a year ago?

dupo

Post by dupo » Wed, 13 May 2020 9:52 am

Thanks @singaporeflyer. Sorry the rejection was 2 years ago in 2018(I edited my post). I got promoted after that and salary increased by >20% since. That's why thinking of applying again after a decent amount of time after last rejection.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 May 2020 1:41 pm

Wait until after July 2020. That will put you past 2 additional since last rejection. Then keep fingers crossed. About all you can do under the current scenario.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 13 May 2020 2:03 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Tue, 12 May 2020 7:32 pm
dupo wrote:
Hello folks,

Similar to others who are curious to hear opinions on their profile, I am going to put mine out there and would like to hear your thoughts before I apply for the second time(first time was Jan 2019, rejected in July 2019 and didn't appeal). I know the ICA process is a black box, but it does give one some level of comfort to hear from those who have been through the process/or know about it more than oneself :

Ethnicity : Indian (I know.. another one!), worked in India for 4 years in banking before coming to SG
Time in SG : close to 7 years now. 2 years NUS + 5 years working for the same MNC
Education : NUS Master's Degree + Master's Degree in Business in India + Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engg in India + Certified Financial Risk Manager(FRM) (I do like to study a lot..)

Ethnicity : Indian, worked in India for 4 years in consulting before coming to SG
Time in SG : close to 7 years now. 2 years NUS + 5 years working for 2 different Tech MNCs

We believe that we are well integrated in to the society with the uni experience & friends here, and also contributing to society in the usual ways(volunteering, investments, etc). I don't think that carries any weight as there is no way for ICA to really gauge that.

Not going to be easy. Reason is with almost the same profile you got rejected a year ago?
After NUS masters, did you stay in SG or study/live out of SG? For how long?

shadowofdeath

Post by shadowofdeath » Thu, 14 May 2020 3:53 am

Hi can help to assess my chances for PR application. Havent applied before.

Race : PH
Marital Status : Single
Education : Bachelor's Degree
Current Field of Work : Cybersecurity with Government Agencies
Length of stay in Singapore : Working for 6 years +
Salary: 96k
Pass : EP (Expiring on Oct 2020)

Thanks alot.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bro75 » Thu, 14 May 2020 8:26 am

shadowofdeath wrote:
Thu, 14 May 2020 3:53 am
Hi can help to assess my chances for PR application. Havent applied before.

Race : PH
Marital Status : Single
Education : Bachelor's Degree
Current Field of Work : Cybersecurity with Government Agencies
Length of stay in Singapore : Working for 6 years +
Salary: 96k
Pass : EP (Expiring on Oct 2020)

Thanks alot.
Filipinos have a low chance to be approved these days but your profile is not bad. Buy your ticket to the PR lottery and hope for the best.

dupo

Post by dupo » Thu, 14 May 2020 10:01 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Wed, 13 May 2020 2:03 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:
Tue, 12 May 2020 7:32 pm
dupo wrote:
Hello folks,

After NUS masters, did you stay in SG or study/live out of SG? For how long?
Have been living in SG throughout.. been working 5 years now after the NUS Master's

Joecu

Post by Joecu » Sat, 16 May 2020 11:04 pm

I am a Hong Kong Chinese with both Hong Kong and Australia passport. Lived and worked in both places. Elderly parents living in Australia and I don't have a family.

Is dual nationality not viewed upon favourably when applying for SPR?

Also is SPR approval getting tightened now due to covid-19? I wonder if the government is hoping to shrink PR population size because of downturn, or will they want to increase local workforce...

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 17 May 2020 10:11 am

Joecu wrote:
Sat, 16 May 2020 11:04 pm
I am a Hong Kong Chinese with both Hong Kong and Australia passport. Lived and worked in both places. Elderly parents living in Australia and I don't have a family.

Also is SPR approval getting tightened now due to covid-19? I wonder if the government is hoping to shrink PR population size because of downturn, or will they want to increase local workforce...
1 You already have dual nationality and if you apply for PR here, it might not been seen as a positive
2. COVID MAY slow down application processing

In any country, the first priority is to make sure locals are employed without any issues.

But note the above 2 are not the only factors that decide the application outcome.

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

PR approval probability 2020

Post by jamie9vardy » Sun, 17 May 2020 11:12 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Joecu wrote:
Sat, 16 May 2020 11:04 pm

1 You already have dual nationality and if you apply for PR here, it might not been seen as a positive
2. COVID MAY slow down application processing

In any country, the first priority is to make sure locals are employed without any issues.

But note the above 2 are not the only factors that decide the application outcome.
I echo what SF has said.

You may want to share about your age, education, occupation/industry, length of stay, etc.

1. PR is a stepping stone to citizenship so there should some degree of consideration on your dual nationality especially, if you will give up the Oz one to be an SC in the longer term.

2. From 2013-18, an average of 31,000 PRs were granted each year, 2018 was 32,700. As posted by a member in a another thread, ICA has actually sent out notification to inform that there will be delays in processing so the number is expected to decrease by a little bit. Also maybe because those back office officers have been redeployed to frontline for SHN enforcement, etc. Just my wild guess. Another point to consider is the impending general elections but I think it may not play a big part.

3. Of course the priority of any gahmen is to protect local employees, and rightly so. I’m not going into the discussion of is it right to grant PR to foreigners just so that they also become protected during recessions. Instead let’s focus on what you bring to the table. The gahmen may have a high level number of PR to give out each year in mind. But applicants are assessed on their own merits, if you posses the right expertise especially in areas that SG wants to grow and be able to demonstrate or at least perceived to commit yourself here, you may just get it.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 17 May 2020 1:19 pm

You only need to apply for PR with a single Passport (preferably the one used to gain your work pass). PR will be based on the PP submitted. Strong Eagle was one such (holding 3 passports). His PR was based on his US passport if I remember correctly. There is no problem with holding dual citizenship until such time as you get ready to apply for SGC. But you can only used one passport to link the PR to.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ritesh_1

Post by ritesh_1 » Wed, 03 Jun 2020 11:05 pm

** I am re-posting this message here as I did not get any advice in another thread **

Hello experts!

Need your advice on my chances here. Planning to apply for PR later this year for the first time.

Race: Indian
Marital Status: Married
Planning to apply as a family: Wife is on DP, not working + newborn girl child born in SG
Education: MBA + Bachelor in Computer Science
Job: Data Science
Industry: High Tech/Cloud (top US MNC)
Length of stay in Singapore: 3.5 years (worked in the same company till now)
Income Tax Assessment : 3 Submitted
Total Job Experience: 10 Years
Salary: 190K+
Pass: EP

PS: I had chats with a few PR application agencies and they say that a cover letter, recommendation letters, documents for voluntary work etc are required. But, I went through the step-by-step guide on ICA website and could not find any place where these additional documents can be uploaded. Is this a scam?

Thanks!

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 03 Jun 2020 11:20 pm

ritesh_1 wrote:
Wed, 03 Jun 2020 11:05 pm
** I am re-posting this message here as I did not get any advice in another thread **

Hello experts!

Need your advice on my chances here. Planning to apply for PR later this year for the first time.

Planning to apply as a family: Wife is on DP, not working + newborn girl child born in SG

PS: I had chats with a few PR application agencies and they say that a cover letter, recommendation letters, documents for voluntary work etc are required. But, I went through the step-by-step guide on ICA website and could not find any place where these additional documents can be uploaded. Is this a scam?

Thanks!
Dont worry about cover letter, recommendations, voluntary work for now. They are not going to help for now.

You can apply now. You may have a 40% chance as you work in a niche technology domain in IT. If in case you are rejected, reapply after you complete 5 years of total stay and work in SG.

But if you ask me, WAIT for the current climate and economy to get better, complete 5 years in SG and then apply. Your chance will be higher then.

ritesh_1

Post by ritesh_1 » Wed, 03 Jun 2020 11:42 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Wed, 03 Jun 2020 11:20 pm
ritesh_1 wrote:

Hello experts!

Thanks!
Dont worry about cover letter, recommendations, voluntary work for now. They are not going to help for now.

You can apply now. You may have a 40% chance as you work in a niche technology domain in IT. If in case you are rejected, reapply after you complete 5 years of total stay and work in SG.

But if you ask me, WAIT for the current climate and economy to get better, complete 5 years in SG and then apply. Your chance will be higher then.
Thanks a lot SF!

It is good to know that those additional documents are not as important as the PR application agencies make them sound. And we will take a call after a few months anyway once the economy starts recovering. Will also give a serious thought on your advice to wait till 5 years.

But I was just wondering wouldn't the current crisis also mean a fall in the number of PR applications? If the overall quota for the year is still the same (~31K-32K), wouldn't that mean higher chances of approval?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 03 Jun 2020 11:54 pm

ritesh_1 wrote:
Wed, 03 Jun 2020 11:42 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:
Wed, 03 Jun 2020 11:20 pm
ritesh_1 wrote:

Hello experts!

Thanks!

Thanks a lot SF!

It is good to know that those additional documents are not as important as the PR application agencies make them sound. And we will take a call after a few months anyway once the economy starts recovering. Will also give a serious thought on your advice to wait till 5 years.

But I was just wondering wouldn't the current crisis also mean a fall in the number of PR applications? If the overall quota for the year is still the same (~31K-32K), wouldn't that mean higher chances of approval?
I personally dont think that in the current climate, the overall quota is going to be 31-32K anymore. Also, they look at each application individually. If a applicant is short of residency requirements, he is short. The availability of quota will not increase his chances, etc. Looks you are in a rush. Why? If you have long term plans to reside in Singapore, why not wait and give a good FIRST attempt after 5 years. if you apply now and the application gets rejected after 1 year and if you immediately apply after 1 year rejection, that is not going to change much on the next outcome too.