Singapore Expats

Danish couple enrages Singapore public by putting down their healthy dog, prompting government to revise law

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Danish couple enrages Singapore public by putting down their healthy dog, prompting government to revise law

Post by GSM8 » Fri, 08 May 2020 10:25 pm

This Danish couple's actions in Singapore are despicable by any standards, and more so because Denmark has one of the world's most guarded animal rights legislation.

https://mothership.sg/2020/05/louis-ng-euthanasia-loki/
https://www.onlinecitizenasia.com/2020/ ... ng-bitten/

I may feel particularly strongly about this because I like dogs, and have a dog that I walk myself 3 times a day. But I think this episode would leave many appalled. MP Louis Ng even raised the incident in parliament

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: Danish couple enrages Singapore public by putting down their healthy dog, prompting government to revise law

Post by abbby » Sat, 09 May 2020 10:33 am

This feels very sad as to why they did not return the dog if they longer wish to take care of it. There would be other willing adopters willing to take care of Loki. Vet partly at fault too...
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Danish couple enrages Singapore public by putting down their healthy dog, prompting government to revise law

Post by GSM8 » Tue, 12 May 2020 4:23 pm

I guess I felt particularly strongly about this case because my dog used to play with Loki at the dog park, both being boisterous cheerful competitive dogs. And Loki was friendly whenever I patted him. The owner would sometimes twist Loki's ears till he yelped if he was unruly, but Loki never tried to bite back. That may or may not have something to do with Loki's alleged aggressive transformation, can't say, I never knew them outside the dog park. Hopefully, this unfortunate incident will indeed lead in a change in the law.

This sort of behavior is of course not limited to expats, but it does get looked at closer when it involves an expat. And this is again (i.e. expats/foreigners being held to higher standards) by no means limited to Singapore, other countries do it too. But to look at it philosophically, we are here in Singapore to bring some value to society and hopefully are compensated fairly. So lets raise the standards here rather than lower them.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 17 May 2020 4:44 pm

Poor Loki
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!