Singapore Expats

Masks supplied free by Sg. govt. are of unknown quality

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Masks supplied free by Sg. govt. are of unknown quality

Post by martincymru » Mon, 13 Apr 2020 12:12 pm

There is no Kitemark / British Standard or such like to ascertain quality.

Furthermore no manufacturer name.

Thus, I do not know what I am wearing or its effectiveness.

File Note:
a. "The Kitemark is a UK product and service quality trade mark which is owned and operated by The British Standards Institution (BSI Group). The Kitemark is most frequently used to identify products where safety is paramount".
b. "ISO 8402 [ISO, 1986] defines quality as "the totality of features and characteristics of a product that bears on its ability to meet a stated need". [Crosby, 1979] defines quality as "conformance to requirement""

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Masks supplied free by Sg. govt. are of unknown quality

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 14 Apr 2020 10:04 am

I saw an interesting video where a guy sprayed what looked like aerosol at different masks - you could easily see which ones allowed it to pass through. My understanding is that even the basic cotton marks that were worn in 1919 helped to reduce the spread (not necessarily stop YOU from catching it but from passing it on). Interesting data coming out that the slipstream effect of runners and joggers who don't have a mask makes the air behind them contaminated up to 3 to 5 metres behind them.

What is your personal situation Martin?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 14 Apr 2020 10:37 am

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 14 Apr 2020 10:04 am
I saw an interesting video where a guy sprayed what looked like aerosol at different masks - you could easily see which ones allowed it to pass through. My understanding is that even the basic cotton marks that were worn in 1919 helped to reduce the spread (not necessarily stop YOU from catching it but from passing it on). Interesting data coming out that the slipstream effect of runners and joggers who don't have a mask makes the air behind them contaminated up to 3 to 5 metres behind them.
https://www.a-star.edu.sg/News-and-Even ... f-covid-19

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Tue, 14 Apr 2020 10:56 am

That's a good article and video that everyone should watch.

It's confounding that anyone would not wear a mask. Is the reason that is looks uncool? Or it's uncomfortable?
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Tue, 14 Apr 2020 11:19 am

tiktok wrote:
Tue, 14 Apr 2020 10:56 am
That's a good article and video that everyone should watch.

It's confounding that anyone would not wear a mask. Is the reason that is looks uncool? Or it's uncomfortable?
Previously, we were told not to wear masks if we are not sick. So if we are not sick, and wear a mask, we will get death stares as the 'sick' one.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Tue, 14 Apr 2020 2:50 pm

So, when we say “mask” what do we mean? After all they come in all shapes and sizes; off the shelf and home-made etc.

Is a bandana a mask? Let’s assume it is or at least performs similarly to this thing we all call “mask”. A bandana has been adopted in many countries where masks are not readily available or too costly.

Story:
For an experiment I went to Parkway Parade yesterday wearing a bandana wrapped twice and tightly around my nose/mouth. Denied entry by Security guard “you cannot come in wearing a mask like that”. Security guard was wearing standard (20 cents!) blue medical mask. It was wide open at the sides and he was wearing it upside down.

Later, I was told in the street to wear a mask by a member of the public.
I observe that “in town” majority are wearing masks but leisure areas only around 50%.

Went to Changi General hospital later same day. Again all receptionists/staff I saw were wearing standard blue medical masks, some with gaping wide open sides. I was wearing a free issue mask, fyi.

Comment:
Loose fitting masks of dubious quality is making a mockery of the “I am protected” assumption due to the airborne particulates being a proven characteristic of COVID-19.

I am not against all and everyone wearing a mask but unless we all wear N95 (or similar “quality”) then wearing “masks” not fit for purpose should be rejected.

There is an argument that even a poor quality mask is better than nothing. But what does better than nothing mean?

If you have symptoms then you should demand a N95 mask, to be worn when you are outside your home. Otherwise anything is better than nothing!

If you have no symptoms then do not wear a mask, IMHO.

If you are a-symptomatic or pre-symptomatic (of course you won’t know !) then illogical to tell you to wear a mask. The grand debate is really about this group.

Final point:
Do establishments have a specified criteria as to what is / what is not acceptable as a mask or do we continue with in-consistences / misinformation that has been a persistent theme since this epidemic surfaced in Jan 2020?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 14 Apr 2020 3:29 pm

Martin, if you google, you may find papers few years old where they stated for home-made cotton base masks something like 1/3 efficiency of a surgical grade mask. It's still something and nobody expects to be on a par with n95 grade. BTW, have you tried to wear a true n95 for some longer time?

Also, hard to expect a security guard to do a proper judgements.

Frankly, I miss the point you are trying to make. If you don't trust what the government says I believe it is still possible you buy your own mask of the quality you desire and perceive to be superior (right one and certified). Don't expect any government or organization to supply "the best available" solution. The keyword is "optimal" meaning it factors in the costs, social/cultural aspects, the time to the market (availability) and possibly few more factors.
Lastly, nobody ever said (I believe) "you are protected". It only says the risk is significantly reduced.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 Apr 2020 5:09 pm

Additionally, and I think x9200 will concur, the wearing of an N95 (aside from being damn difficult to work in for more than a hour or so if worn properly) isn't any better than wearing a surgical mask from protecting other and only marginally better than a surgical mask as probably less than 1% of the population knows how to wear one and have it fitted properly. If not fitted properly, any aerosol transmission can enter via the gaps between the edges and the face on inhalation.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Tue, 14 Apr 2020 8:45 pm

martincymru wrote:
Tue, 14 Apr 2020 2:50 pm
If you have no symptoms then do not wear a mask, IMHO.
Why? Infected people can be asymptomatic for up to 14 days during which time they can be contagious. Do you want them walking around without a mask, breathing freely on children and elderly?
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 14 Apr 2020 9:00 pm

Regardless of the pros and cons, if you are over 2 years old, you now need to wear a mask outside.

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/c ... s-exercise

tt1973
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tt1973 » Wed, 15 Apr 2020 1:52 am

I am also skeptical about the quality of the reusable masks that the government had given out. But given the scarcity of the surgical masks, it is better than nothing!

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Wed, 15 Apr 2020 8:48 am

The colours run during wash..
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Wed, 15 Apr 2020 1:03 pm

Try to answer points raised in date order.

1. Yes I accept that N95 masks have issues when worn for long periods and/or frequently.

2. I trust hard data/evidence and actions.

3. When I purchase a product (or is supplied to me free) I need to know what it is I am receiving irrespective of quality level.

4. I still maintain my position that the risk of catching the virus if you wear a mask is not significantly reduced. If you are infected then the risk of infecting someone else is, I accept, significantly reduced.

5. I believe wearing a N95 mask is significantly better than wearing a surgical mask in protecting other people from you.

6. Asymptomatic (people who are contagious but not physically sick) are, I agree, infectious up to 14 days albeit the virulence is far greater in the 5-10 day period (I think). The “silent killers” in our society dilutes my position (no masks) but raises other interesting questions. Thus, I will start a new post on “Asymptomatic” carriers.

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Sun, 19 Apr 2020 7:21 pm

PLS DO NOTE WASH BEFORE U WEAR IT.

I does wear the cloth masks , well what to do. The surgery mask is expensive next don't say you wear mask can prevent. End of the day try to build up your immune system which is more important and stay at home more if possible beside go out buy your daily needs and straight back home.

archcherub
Regular
Regular

Post by archcherub » Mon, 27 Apr 2020 9:50 pm

SGBoyxxx wrote:
Sun, 19 Apr 2020 7:21 pm
PLS DO NOTE WASH BEFORE U WEAR IT.

I does wear the cloth masks , well what to do. The surgery mask is expensive next don't say you wear mask can prevent. End of the day try to build up your immune system which is more important and stay at home more if possible beside go out buy your daily needs and straight back home.
I'm still wearing reusable cloth masks, because I shudder to think of the extreme amount of plastic waste we are throwing from the food take-aways packaging and disposable masks....
sigh where do u guys buy ur reusable or disposable masks