Singapore Expats

COVID-19 CB Enforcement

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

COVID-19 CB Enforcement

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 10 Apr 2020 12:28 pm

The Gov said yesterday for those violating Circuit Breaker measures:
It said that stern written warnings will be given to first-time offenders, and anyone who commits a second offence will be fined S$300, while a third offence will lead to the person being charged in court.
Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/d ... hain-fined
As expected there are tons of rumors (likely false) floating around WhatsApp groups, Facebook, Etc., about harsher enforcement against WP/EP holders. All "Friend of Friend" type situations, but stories of "instant EP revocation and 10 day deportations".

Everything seems to be fake news, but I do have one friend I trust who said his boss has a friend this definitely happened to (caught, lost EP, going home). We both assume there are extenuating circumstances (orgy on the beach? doing lines of coke on the void deck checkerboard?) but he has no additional details. I've always found SG LE to be reasonable and fair beyond belief, especially compared to their western counterparts, so I assume there must be more to any of these stories.

So posting because I'm curious if anyone of us know of actual situations where foreigners did receive harsher penalties than the above "Stern Warning etc", and know the details of the situation?

This is honest curiosity and discussion around different treatment for different classes in SG. If you're a keyboard warrior itching to reply with a "Just shut up and don't break the rules and you don't have to think about this" please f-off and don't waste your time replying.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Re: COVID-19 CB Enforcement

Post by tiktok » Fri, 10 Apr 2020 1:16 pm

Just shut up and don't break the rules and you don't have to think about this.

Oh sorry, that's the moderators' job haha.

Anyway, to my limited knowledge these are false rumours.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Apr 2020 1:45 pm

Aside from our resident troll's "limited knowledge" the only one I remember was not an EP/WP holder but a PR who had his Re-entry permit shortened but that was due to not declaring recent travel which was pretty dire under the circumstances. The Clip below from a CNA broadcast at the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfStvn2HcYY

Additionally 89 WPs had their passes revoked as well...this is probably what you are referring to...

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/si ... m-12563632
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 10 Apr 2020 1:57 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 10 Apr 2020 1:45 pm
Aside from our resident troll's "limited knowledge" the only one I remember was not an EP/WP holder but a PR who had his Re-entry permit shortened but that was due to not declaring recent travel which was pretty dire under the circumstances. The Clip below from a CNA broadcast at the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfStvn2HcYY

Additionally 89 WPs had their passes revoked as well...this is probably what you are referring to...

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/si ... m-12563632
Yeah these well aware of. A few cases detailed in the news where they violated Stay at Home orders. I particularly liked the guy who was in Batam for 13 days, came back, received an order, but then ran off to Batam for one more day. Imagination runs with the reasons why... :)

I'm mostly looking for anything with details that happens for the most recent CB. If anyone knows of a case *with details* or something is published, please share.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 13 Apr 2020 11:35 am

So there was a workpass holder who got revoked. Seems he worked in "essential services". After his shift, he went to dinner, but then stayed out until after midnight. It doesn't say what time he finished work. But either way, that was enough for him to lose his WP with no other apparent warning.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/si ... n-12635504

Mr_Bombastic

Post by Mr_Bombastic » Mon, 13 Apr 2020 12:55 pm

Ignorance as these people are unable to accept what reality is

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 14 Apr 2020 10:01 am

I expect to see a tightening up. I think Singapore is going to try to become certifiably "Covid 19 free" (which will decimate the tourist industry) as soon as possible so that it can become an effective centre of operations and trade again during the next year or two or mass deaths in Indonesia, the PI and Malaysia. I might add that I have reasons beyond just myself to say that.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 14 Apr 2020 11:55 am

https://www.mom.gov.sg/newsroom/press-r ... r-measures
MOM also conducted separate inspections today to ensure that workers are observing circuit breaker measures. Despite past enforcements carried out in the vicinity of Tuas View Square, our inspectors found 24 work pass holders eating, drinking, and gathering in groups. To send a clear signal of the seriousness of the offense, MOM has decided to revoke all 24 work passes and permanently barred the individuals from working in Singapore.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 14 Apr 2020 2:18 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 14 Apr 2020 10:01 am
I expect to see a tightening up. I think Singapore is going to try to become certifiably "Covid 19 free" (which will decimate the tourist industry) as soon as possible so that it can become an effective centre of operations and trade again during the next year or two or mass deaths in Indonesia, the PI and Malaysia. I might add that I have reasons beyond just myself to say that.
Definitely makes sense. I was hoping Malaysia and/or Indonesia would follow Singapore as closely as possible to relieve my own cabin fever, but doubt they lack the competence (especially Indonesia) to implement it effectively.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 14 Apr 2020 2:23 pm

x9200 wrote:
Tue, 14 Apr 2020 11:55 am
https://www.mom.gov.sg/newsroom/press-r ... r-measures
MOM also conducted separate inspections today to ensure that workers are observing circuit breaker measures. Despite past enforcements carried out in the vicinity of Tuas View Square, our inspectors found 24 work pass holders eating, drinking, and gathering in groups. To send a clear signal of the seriousness of the offense, MOM has decided to revoke all 24 work passes and permanently barred the individuals from working in Singapore.
Yep, also saw. This is definitely proof that Singapore decided to crack down hard as opposed to big talk and lots of leniency. Like those HDB "NO Skateboarding -$5000 fine" signs you see everywhere.

But then, these are "only" WP holders living in a Tuas dorm. Waiting for the first report of cocky expat walking home with a beer in hand getting booted. 8-)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 Apr 2020 5:01 pm

zzm, I reckon it's going to happen. Will just be a matter of time.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers