Singapore Expats

Not sure why our Singapore Citizenship application got rejected?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
whydidthishappen

Not sure why our Singapore Citizenship application got rejected?

Post by whydidthishappen » Mon, 30 Mar 2020 11:36 am

Hi All,

Our Singapore Citizenship application just got rejected and I wanted to bring it to this forum and get your thoughts on possible reasons behind the rejection. I know we can't for certain ever know the reason, but some thoughts/feedback would help us get better perspective.

A little bit about ourselves -
My wife (age 30) and me (age 32) submitted our application in 2018. Outcome received in early March, 2020.

We are of Indian ethnicity and have been PR Since since 2015 (myself) and 2016 (my wife). Applied individually before we got married.

I did my undergrad studies in NUS. After graduation in 2013, have been employed in the finance industry. Currently, working in a local financial institution.

My wife came to Singapore for her undergrad studies in NUS. After graduating, she has been employed in an MNC.

Having been in Singapore since very early in our lives, I am not sure what could have been missing for our SC application.

Thank you :)
Last edited by whydidthishappen on Wed, 01 Apr 2020 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Not sure why our Singapore Citizenship application got rejected?

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 30 Mar 2020 12:46 pm

I expect that in the current criss all applications for SC and PR are on hold or auto-reject as the unemployment numbers are going to be horrific. I wonder what will happen with REP renewals as well....
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 30 Mar 2020 12:49 pm

whydidthishappen wrote:
Mon, 30 Mar 2020 11:36 am
Hi All,

Our Singapore Citizenship application just got rejected and I wanted to bring it to this forum and get your thoughts on possible reasons behind the rejection. I know we can't for certain ever know the reason, but some thoughts/feedback would help us get better perspective.

A little bit about ourselves -
My wife (age 28) and me (age 30) submitted our application in July, 2018. Appointment in mid-August, 2018. Outcome received in early March, 2020.

We are of Indian ethnicity and have been PR Since since Oct, 2015 (myself) and Mar, 2016 (my wife). Applied individually before we got married.

I came to Singapore in 2006 to pursue A-Levels under MOE Scholarship. Continued my undergrad studies in NUS (under scholarship). After graduation in 2013, I serviced my 6 years bond by working in SG. I have been employed in the finance industry. Currently, working in a local financial institution.

My wife came to Singapore for her undergrad studies in NUS. After graduation in 2013, she has been employed in an MNC.

Total household income S$240K to S$ S$280K.

Having been in Singapore since very early in our lives, I am not sure what could have been missing for our SC application.

Thank you :)
Reasons
1. Ethinicity
2. Too short duration on PR. You have not completed even 1 REP renewal
3. Finance industry where people move around to greener pastures easily.

What are your individual salaries?
When did you get married? Any kids?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 Mar 2020 1:53 pm

In their case, I suspect PNGMK may well have hit it on the head. There is going to be massive unemployment in the short term and citizens are going to be hard hit. I reckon adding to the unemployment rolls is not on their want list at the moment. I also think being in the finance industry is a particularly bad place to be at the moment. Wait until your next REP and try again.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

whydidthishappen

Post by whydidthishappen » Mon, 30 Mar 2020 10:02 pm

Thanks PNGMK & sundaymorningstaple for your prompt reply. Based on you have said, it is purely stuck in an unfortunate scenario. Sigh! We do intent to try again, possibly after first REP renewal.

whydidthishappen

Post by whydidthishappen » Mon, 30 Mar 2020 10:08 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Mon, 30 Mar 2020 12:49 pm
Reasons
1. Ethinicity
2. Too short duration on PR. You have not completed even 1 REP renewal
3. Finance industry where people move around to greener pastures easily.

What are your individual salaries?
When did you get married? Any kids?
Thanks for your reply. Totally agree on #3 - finance is a relatively more fluid industry. Just that, my wife and me don't intent to relocate as we are very content & comfortable here.

No kids. Married 4 years back. Individual salaries are equally split between the two.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 Mar 2020 11:55 pm

Hang in there till after your REP renewal. The keep your fingers crossed and an offering to the deity of your choosing. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

pinkybow

Post by pinkybow » Tue, 15 Sep 2020 1:36 pm

My profile is quite similar to you (scholar since 2006), income is about the same, I also applied in 2018, got my result in May 2020, but I was approved.

However the differences between us are:
1. I'm Vietnamese in race (so about the same or even less chance of getting citizenship)
2. I've been PR since early 2012 (applied in J2)
3. I applied as a single individual (going to ROM soon)
4. I'm not in finance, I opened my company with my brother

What I suspect could help your chance is to wait for one more cycle, and from what I heard - HAVE KIDS and apply for all of them. If you apply as a family, Singapore has a weird thing about you need to have kids and preferably smart kids (which your kids have a high chance to be since you are both scholars). They are terrified of family not having kids and just get citizenship.

I was approved as an individual, I suspect, probably because I still had a chance of marrying a Singaporean as a single woman. If I got married back then, and applied together with my husband, I highly doubt I would get the same result.