Singapore Expats

Re-Entry Permit Renewal

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
meli77

Re-Entry Permit Renewal

Post by meli77 » Thu, 12 Mar 2020 3:38 pm

Hi All - I would like to congratulate all who have become a SC :) As for me, it is very difficult.
I was born in Jakarta and a PR in Singapore. I have lived in Singapore my whole life. I am Chinese, and my mother is Singaporean and father is Indonesian. I applied in 2017 but it was rejected. 
Due to my age (43 years old) and my marital status (single) with no children, I think my chances are very low. My annual income is about $50k. I have a degree in Business Admin (Masters) and LRSM Piano Teaching Diploma. I am currently working full time as an Executive Secretary in a hotel, and a part-time piano teacher (in my home). 
I went to see the MP (who wasn't in town), and was advised to see another one the very next day. I could not due to my work (couldn't take leave last minute!) as I just joined the company. Anyway, 2 weeks later came the rejection letter.
During my application, I gave ICA a letter that I need to look after my Singaporean mother (lives with me). I am her sole caretaker. My parents are separated and my father is living in Jakarta.
If I am rejected again, my main fear is the Re-Entry Permit renewal. If I am not gainfully employed, it may not be renewed. This will make it difficult for me to travel in my later years :( 
Do you think they will reject my Re-Entry Permit even if I continue paying income tax and contribute to CPF? I intend to do this from my rental income (I own a condominium) and private teaching (in my home). I also have other streams of income such as investments and endowment plans. Honestly speaking, I don't think I need to work. I aim to give piano lessons to the children who cannot afford lessons :)
I just heard from a website that if your Re-Entry Permit expires, you can apply for a tourist visa and still have all your PR privileges. Can anyone enlighten me or put my mind to rest! Thanks, I really appreciate it. 

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Re-Entry Permit Renewal

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 12 Mar 2020 5:10 pm

As a PR here, if your PR is based on Family Ties (which I suspect it is), You will have no problem getting your Re-entry permit renewed. In fact, as you are still gainfully employed, you will not have a problem renewing it. After the age of 55 you need not worry about even being gainfully employed if your PR is based on Family Ties. You will not be put on a Tourist Visa (I was given a new re-entry permit at the age of 57 after being out of work for 15 months, but my PR is also based on Family Ties. It was during this interview for re-entry permit I was told by the officer that I did not need to be employed after 55. I'm 72 now and renewing my again in Sept.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

meli77

Post by meli77 » Fri, 13 Mar 2020 3:15 pm

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it! Honestly, I am unsure which scheme is my PR. My parents also cannot remember :( My father started a business here a long time ago, but he is also unsure how he got his PR (and mine). To complicate things, my father became an undischarged bankrupt, and renounced his PR many years ago. After that, he had to leave Singapore permanently and is living in Jakarta.
My apologies for all these questions, but the different PR schemes are quite overwhelming. Should I just call ICA to find out what scheme is mine? All I want is to be able to travel without being 'gainfully employed' in the future. 

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 13 Mar 2020 8:03 pm

meli77 wrote:
Fri, 13 Mar 2020 3:15 pm
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it! Honestly, I am unsure which scheme is my PR. My parents also cannot remember :( My father started a business here a long time ago, but he is also unsure how he got his PR (and mine). To complicate things, my father became an undischarged bankrupt, and renounced his PR many years ago. After that, he had to leave Singapore permanently and is living in Jakarta.
My apologies for all these questions, but the different PR schemes are quite overwhelming. Should I just call ICA to find out what scheme is mine? All I want is to be able to travel without being 'gainfully employed' in the future. 
You cant get this information on Call. You may need to visit or email them and ask for the info.

When did you initially get your PR and what was your age at that time?
Who did your last REP renewal? Yourself or who?
Your SC application, was it sponsored by your mother or in what category did you apply?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 14 Mar 2020 4:39 am

It seems one would remember applying under own merits or the investor's scheme (GIP) so what option is left?

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Sat, 14 Mar 2020 4:52 pm

x9200 wrote:
Sat, 14 Mar 2020 4:39 am
It seems one would remember applying under own merits or the investor's scheme (GIP) so what option is left?
- PTS
- Spouse of a PR/SC

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 16 Mar 2020 4:56 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Sat, 14 Mar 2020 4:52 pm
x9200 wrote:
Sat, 14 Mar 2020 4:39 am
- PTS
- Spouse of a PR/SC
PTS is under own merit so what is left is family ties.