Singapore Expats

Kid born overseas for SG Parents

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Kid born overseas for SG Parents

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 04 Mar 2020 11:48 am

Hi,
Any information on how long it took to get SG citizenship for the kid born overseas to SG parents, who were overseas at the time of the kid's birth? Thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Kid born overseas for SG Parents

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Mar 2020 6:53 pm

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 04 Mar 2020 7:01 pm

Thank you SMS. I have read all these a few weeks ago. Was looking for some first hand information on anyone who had got it and whether it was easy and how long did it take?

Likely will apply within the first month after birth. Thanks

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Mar 2020 7:21 pm

Sorry, was, the best I could do as I don't actually remember somebody having that question before. Had individuals who didn't try to register until after the child passed 1 year, or who did and then trying to find a way to get out of the baby boy having to do NS later, etc, etc.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 04 Mar 2020 7:27 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 04 Mar 2020 7:21 pm
Sorry, was, the best I could do as I don't actually remember somebody having that question before. Had individuals who didn't try to register until after the child passed 1 year, or who did and then trying to find a way to get out of the baby boy having to do NS later, etc, etc.
Either gender, I would prefer to get SC for the kid. Just my personal view and preference.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Mar 2020 7:38 pm

Both of mine . for SG when they came of age (up till then they were dual citizenship). Both married locally as well. Me? 26 years down the road, still a PR and will probably die a PR as I no longer see myself going back to the US unless something really bad happens here.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 05 Mar 2020 11:23 am

It is very fast if done within the timeline. When I brought my son back from Australia he was registered within a couple days of our visit to ICA.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 05 Mar 2020 11:38 am

PNGMK wrote:
Thu, 05 Mar 2020 11:23 am
It is very fast if done within the timeline. When I brought my son back from Australia he was registered within a couple days of our visit to ICA.
Just FYI, likely i wont be applying for Indian Citizenship/passport and will apply directly online for SG Citizenship for the kid within a maximum of 1-2 months from birth. Hope they can approve it and I can complete the formalities overseas after which the kid can enter SG?

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 05 Mar 2020 5:52 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Thu, 05 Mar 2020 11:38 am
PNGMK wrote:
Just FYI, likely i wont be applying for Indian Citizenship/passport and will apply directly online for SG Citizenship for the kid within a maximum of 1-2 months from birth. Hope they can approve it and I can complete the formalities overseas after which the kid can enter SG?
I remember reading about cases wherein the kid was born in India to Singaporean parents. I don't know how long it took but I do recall that the parents managed to apply for an sg passport while the child was overseas and thereafter the child was allowed to travel to Singapore.

On a side note, it sounds like your wife is from India originally. It might probably be useful if you were to apply for an oci for your child. But I'm sure you already know that.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 05 Mar 2020 6:06 pm

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 05 Mar 2020 5:52 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:
Thu, 05 Mar 2020 11:38 am
PNGMK wrote:
I remember reading about cases wherein the kid was born in India to Singaporean parents. I don't know how long it took but I do recall that the parents managed to apply for an sg passport while the child was overseas and thereafter the child was allowed to travel to Singapore.

On a side note, it sounds like your wife is from India originally. It might probably be useful if you were to apply for an oci for your child. But I'm sure you already know that.
Both of us are SG Citizens and we prefer to take SG Citizenship for the kid. We have OCI for us and later will get it for the kid too, so that we can visit India 3-4 weeks in a year. If I remember right, even the SG Consulate in India, advised us to directly take up SG Citizenship alone for the kid. We will stick to that advise.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 05 Mar 2020 6:17 pm

I don't think you have another option but sg citizenship from what you describe. Which is just as well since it's what you want, not to mention, the oci card probably gives you whatever you need for visiting India.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 05 Mar 2020 6:40 pm

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 05 Mar 2020 6:17 pm
I don't think you have another option but sg citizenship from what you describe. Which is just as well since it's what you want, not to mention, the oci card probably gives you whatever you need for visiting India.
Technically the kid can get both SG and IN citizenship and hold on to both till 21 years of age and then chose to give up one.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 05 Mar 2020 6:47 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Thu, 05 Mar 2020 6:40 pm
smoulder wrote:
Technically the kid can get both SG and IN citizenship and hold on to both till 21 years of age and then chose to give up one.
Is that possible if both parents hold Singaporean citizenship?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 05 Mar 2020 6:50 pm

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 05 Mar 2020 6:47 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:
Thu, 05 Mar 2020 6:40 pm
smoulder wrote:
Is that possible if both parents hold Singaporean citizenship?
Yes, it is possible

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 06 Mar 2020 1:39 am

Registration of Citizenship by Descent

The Singapore Embassy/Consulate can assist to forward applications for Singapore Citizenship to the Singapore Immigration and Checkpoints Authority for processing for a child who is born overseas and who meets any of the following conditions:

The father, who is a Singapore citizen by Birth and has a lawful marriage,
The father, who is a Singapore citizen by Registration and has a lawful marriage. The child shall not acquire citizenship of the country he was born by reason of his birth in that country.
The mother, who is a Singapore citizen by Birth and the child born on or after 15 May 2004.
The mother, who is a Singapore citizen by Registration and the child born on or after 15 May 2004. The child shall not acquire citizenship of the country he was born by reason of his birth in that country.
The father (who has a lawful marriage at time of child’s birth) or mother, is a Singapore citizen by Descent has to complete an additional Annex form to the application declaring their residence period in Singapore. The application can only be accepted if the applicant fulfils the requirements stipulated in the Annex.
https://www.mfa.gov.sg/Overseas-Mission ... by-Descent
If the child is born in Singapore and both parents are Singaporean citizens, dual citizenship is also not allowed. Only if one parent is not a citizen will they allow dual citizenship up to the age of 21 provided said child is born in Singapore.

Yes, it is possible, but no it's not legal and you could end up in deep poo if caught.