Singapore Expats

Citizenship Ceremonies

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Eurasian2019

Citizenship Ceremonies

Post by Eurasian2019 » Tue, 03 Mar 2020 1:04 am

I've received my AIP letter on November last year, and I have gotten my temporary IC two weeks ago. So I'm def pleased about no longer having that weight on my shoulders (the waiting period was 10 months btw) and I'm finally officially a Singapore Citizen. But when I was at ICA, we (me and my mother) were told that the citizenship ceremony would take place around 3-6 months time.

I just want to ask of what are the factors behind the length of time a person waits to be called up for their citizenship ceremony? Like is it mostly based on where they live? If it matters, I live around Marine Parade.

And for people who have gotten their SCs, how long did it take you to go for your citizenship ceremony?

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Re: Citizenship Ceremonies

Post by smoulder » Tue, 03 Mar 2020 9:32 am

From what I recall of my wife's case, it's more to do with scheduling than anything else. I wouldn't read anything into it.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 03 Mar 2020 10:54 am

Eurasian2019 wrote:
Tue, 03 Mar 2020 1:04 am
I've received my AIP letter on November last year, and I have gotten my temporary IC two weeks ago. So I'm def pleased about no longer having that weight on my shoulders (the waiting period was 10 months btw) and I'm finally officially a Singapore Citizen. But when I was at ICA, we (me and my mother) were told that the citizenship ceremony would take place around 3-6 months time.

I just want to ask of what are the factors behind the length of time a person waits to be called up for their citizenship ceremony? Like is it mostly based on where they live? If it matters, I live around Marine Parade.

And for people who have gotten their SCs, how long did it take you to go for your citizenship ceremony?
Depends on how many are in the approved list in your constituency. Usually there is 1 every month. For us, we waited for 1 year after the temporary IC to get the original IC. If you are in a rush and need the original IC, ICA may offer you to collect the IC and the certificate at the ICA, if you have a valid need OR if have already waited for more than 6 months. For us we chose to wait and receive it at the ceremony.

vig.srinivasan93

Post by vig.srinivasan93 » Tue, 03 Mar 2020 5:19 pm

So once AIP letter is received, we have to surrender the existing citizenship. If yes, then how can one travel abroad. If Yes for travel.....how?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 03 Mar 2020 5:56 pm

vig.srinivasan93 wrote:
Tue, 03 Mar 2020 5:19 pm
So once AIP letter is received, we have to surrender the existing citizenship. If yes, then how can one travel abroad. If Yes for travel.....how?
No, you don't/can't surrender once AIP is received. There are many steps before you get your SC officially. Please follow instructions on the AIP and kindly don't jump the gun. There will be a short period of 3-7 days when you cant travel overseas while you wait for your SG passport. But if needed, you may inform ICA of your genuine urgency and they can shorten even that 3-7 days to 1-2 days based on the necessity level.

Eurasian2019

Post by Eurasian2019 » Wed, 04 Mar 2020 9:16 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Tue, 03 Mar 2020 10:54 am
Eurasian2019 wrote:

Depends on how many are in the approved list in your constituency. Usually there is 1 every month. For us, we waited for 1 year after the temporary IC to get the original IC. If you are in a rush and need the original IC, ICA may offer you to collect the IC and the certificate at the ICA, if you have a valid need OR if have already waited for more than 6 months. For us we chose to wait and receive it at the ceremony.
Oh?? So it's based on how many people have been approved for SC who are living near that constituency? So say like, if constituency B has more people approved than constituency A, constituency B would then be the first (out of the two) to have the citizenship ceremony? And how come yours took so long? Most cases I've read on the internet and met in person got their citizenship ceremony done after like four months?

But even tho I have a temporary IC, I'm pretty much elidgable to sign up to any service that other Singapore citizenship can sign up to right? I'm under 21 and have finished studying, so I'm eligible for NS. So with my temp IC, I can already register myself to CMPB and all that stuff related to NS?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 04 Mar 2020 10:22 pm

Eurasian2019 wrote:
Wed, 04 Mar 2020 9:16 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:
Tue, 03 Mar 2020 10:54 am
Eurasian2019 wrote:

Oh?? So it's based on how many people have been approved for SC who are living near that constituency? So say like, if constituency B has more people approved than constituency A, constituency B would then be the first (out of the two) to have the citizenship ceremony? And how come yours took so long? Most cases I've read on the internet and met in person got their citizenship ceremony done after like four months?

But even tho I have a temporary IC, I'm pretty much elidgable to sign up to any service that other Singapore citizenship can sign up to right? I'm under 21 and have finished studying, so I'm eligible for NS. So with my temp IC, I can already register myself to CMPB and all that stuff related to NS?
Temporary IC is accepted in 99.9% of the places. Not to worry. You should be worried about your constituency approvals who are waiting before you for the ceremony and not about other constituencies. Don't complicate things. What is the rush for your SG IC? If you really have such a rush, inform ICA via email and collect it personally from them, provided you have a valid reason. You are too too anxious !