Singapore Expats

PR approval in 2019

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
thesingboyboy

Re: PR approval in 2019

Post by thesingboyboy » Tue, 18 Feb 2020 5:06 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 16 Feb 2020 2:07 pm
(1) No. Unless you have left out something substantial on your original application. Put in the same data, outcome will be the same result.
(2) This is your best best as it is pretty common knowledge that you need a minimum of two consecutive years (or three tax assessments) before applying for PR (Usually after the renewal of your EP as they are normally 24 months long).
(3) It will probably raise some eyebrows as to why the rush to get PR so fast. But applying 1 year after an appeal rejection probably won't as long as you are here over two years at the time of the second application.

Additionally, we have noticed that those in the upper income brackets (over 250~300Kpa) have a much harder time obtaining PR as that level of individual tends to follow the green and thinks nothing of leaving for another country for an extra 30~50K pa. Also it's not uncommon for a C level person to be parachuted into a position in another country at a moments notice (this especially in the Finance sector). Additionally, age "may" be a factor as there is nothing stated, but over the years we've seen very few over the age of 45 get PR. There is nothing written down anywhere to support this, but it does seem to be a common refrain.

Personally, as you are already over 45, I'd still wait the recommended 2 years and reapply. This will also show them that you are serious about staying. Good Luck.
Does applying after having to work in SG for at least 3 years+ increase the chances of getting approved? My friend, a Chinese, from Malaysia, applied for PR after working for a year and got approved. What's the theory behind this? Does the 3 year rules still apply?

zDarkAngelz

Post by zDarkAngelz » Tue, 18 Feb 2020 5:38 pm

thesingboyboy wrote:
Tue, 18 Feb 2020 5:06 pm
(1) No. Unless you have left out something substantial on your original application. Put in the same data, outcome will be the same result.
(2) This is your best best as it is pretty common knowledge that you need a minimum of two consecutive years (or three tax assessments) before applying for PR (Usually after the renewal of your EP as they are normally 24 months long).
(3) It will probably raise some eyebrows as to why the rush to get PR so fast. But applying 1 year after an appeal rejection probably won't as long as you are here over two years at the time of the second application.

Additionally, we have noticed that those in the upper income brackets (over 250~300Kpa) have a much harder time obtaining PR as that level of individual tends to follow the green and thinks nothing of leaving for another country for an extra 30~50K pa. Also it's not uncommon for a C level person to be parachuted into a position in another country at a moments notice (this especially in the Finance sector). Additionally, age "may" be a factor as there is nothing stated, but over the years we've seen very few over the age of 45 get PR. There is nothing written down anywhere to support this, but it does seem to be a common refrain.

Personally, as you are already over 45, I'd still wait the recommended 2 years and reapply. This will also show them that you are serious about staying. Good Luck.
Does applying after having to work in SG for at least 3 years+ increase the chances of getting approved? My friend, a Chinese, from Malaysia, applied for PR after working for a year and got approved. What's the theory behind this? Does the 3 year rules still apply?
You already answered yourself.
Perhaps you are not aware. Many (or maybe most) rules do not apply to people from a certain country and race.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Feb 2020 5:50 pm

^^^^This.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

hocako6604

Post by hocako6604 » Tue, 18 Feb 2020 8:47 pm

I just got approved last week after 6 months and 1 week.

Nationality: Malaysian
Race: Chinese
Education: sg private diploma (pt)
Industry: software
Salary: 50k+ when applying

Working here since 2015 and holding WP all the while. Changed to SP not too long ago before the application. Had a job change before approval but no lapse in between (old pass cancelled and new pass confirmed on the same day). Submit Annex A form together with new company letter and got the formalities done.

Was following this thread for quite some time :lol:

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 19 Feb 2020 9:27 am

hocako6604 wrote:
Tue, 18 Feb 2020 8:47 pm
I just got approved last week after 6 months and 1 week.

Nationality: Malaysian
Race: Chinese
Education: sg private diploma (pt)
Industry: software
Salary: 50k+ when applying

Working here since 2015 and holding WP all the while. Changed to SP not too long ago before the application. Had a job change before approval but no lapse in between (old pass cancelled and new pass confirmed on the same day). Submit Annex A form together with new company letter and got the formalities done.

Was following this thread for quite some time :lol:
Congrats.

You were in IT and on work permit before?

hocako6604

Post by hocako6604 » Wed, 19 Feb 2020 10:59 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Wed, 19 Feb 2020 9:27 am
Congrats.

Thanks. Yes always in IT and WP due to edu until last year.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 19 Feb 2020 11:40 am

hocako6604 wrote:
Wed, 19 Feb 2020 10:59 am
singaporeflyer wrote:
Wed, 19 Feb 2020 9:27 am
Congrats.

Thanks. Yes always in IT and WP due to edu until last year.
That is interesting. Didn't expect IT software employee to be in WP

hocako6604

Post by hocako6604 » Wed, 19 Feb 2020 11:55 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Wed, 19 Feb 2020 11:40 am

That is interesting. Didn't expect IT software employee to be in WP
Before I got my diploma here, it was due to edu. Then subsequently I guess it is due the fastest to onboard (almost immediate approval based on my experience in helping new HR to submit my own application) and more quota compared to SP.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 Feb 2020 12:32 pm

Actdually it makes sense. Bill Gates would have had an almost impossible task of getting a S or EP here when he first created the windows OS. He was just a High School Graduate, didn't have a degree. The only way around it was to do something so awesome that a company would have paid the moon for it. (That was the old P1) all you needed was expertise and a company willing to pay over 8 or 9/month and you could easily get the top tier pass without as much as a diploma. In fact, back in the 80s-90's Construction project Managers without any advanced schooling were getting P1s like going to the candy store because of the infrastructure projects here using heavy civil engrg. Most of those types didn't have any tertiary educations but had tons of field experience before moving into the office.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

thesingboyboy

Post by thesingboyboy » Wed, 19 Feb 2020 5:31 pm

zDarkAngelz wrote:
Tue, 18 Feb 2020 5:38 pm
thesingboyboy wrote:
Tue, 18 Feb 2020 5:06 pm

You already answered yourself.
Perhaps you are not aware. Many (or maybe most) rules do not apply to people from a certain country and race.
If that is the case, why was I told to wait for at least 2 or 3 years of tax filing before applying even I have already mentioned that I'm a Malaysian Chinese Male?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 Feb 2020 8:42 pm

As we occasionally get a odd breed of people on here, we generally have to cater for the masses. There is a special dispensation for certain people from north of us who, if having a degree, especially from decent university, get a preferential sort of treatment as they are the most closely related to Singaporeans than all the other ASEAN countries hence they assimulate easily into local culture. However, this is NOT published anywhere on the MOM website. Therefore we try to dispense only that which is published. But is it known by some of us HR types when getting ready to hire our northern neighbours. They also can get EPs with +/-30% less basic salary than the average EP applicant.

Kiwiwiki

Post by Kiwiwiki » Thu, 20 Feb 2020 12:35 am

Salary around 150k in a sunrise (presumably) sector
Wife and 2 toddlers on dp
Been in sg for 2 years on ep
Non-chinese
On the wait for few months since now
What is the probability?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 Feb 2020 1:14 am

If you are in the O&G sector I'd say slim. If you are Caucasian or from a western country (as your nick suggests - caucasian or not) you are competing with everybody else who is not either Chinese, Indian, or Malay. This leaves you in a category for everybody else with a 2% chance of 30,000 PRs that will be granted this year (max). Unless you have been on an EP for a minimum of 24 months, don't even think about it. Wait until your EP has been renewed at least once. Probability? virtually zero.

thesingboyboy

Post by thesingboyboy » Thu, 20 Feb 2020 9:09 am

Thu, 20 Feb 2020 1:14 am
If you are in the O&G sector I'd say slim. If you are Caucasian or from a western country (as your nick suggests - caucasian or not) you are competing with everybody else who is not either Chinese, Indian, or Malay. This leaves you in a category for everybody else with a 2% chance of 30,000 PRs that will be granted this year (max). Unless you have been on an EP for a minimum of 24 months, don't even think about it. Wait until your EP has been renewed at least once. Probability? virtually zero.
Interesting. Do people who work in construction sector have a lower or higher chance in getting approved, especially for a Malaysian Chinese male? Also with the announcement of budget 2020, will it affect too? They want to decrease the foreign employment in construction sector from 20% to 10% and encourage companies to hire locals.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 Feb 2020 1:04 pm

Malaysian Chinese (M or F) with relevant qualifications and experience always stand a very good chance of getting approved. How much effect the budget will have at this point is anybody's guess. The only way local companies will hire less foreign workers is if the reduce the quotas for S and WP work passes. It's been noted that raising the levies doesn't stop them from hiring foreigners. EP holders, because they don't have levies but do require higher salaries generally speaking aren't as impacted. The construction sector is up to 87.5% foreign employees workers (not counting EP holders).
Clipboard01.jpg