Singapore Expats

My bloody experience applying PR with a bloody agency (being rejected already)

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Re: My bloody experience applying PR with a bloody agency (being rejected already)

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 15 Jan 2020 9:48 am

gingiku wrote:
Tue, 14 Jan 2020 11:15 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:
Tue, 14 Jan 2020 9:49 pm
gingiku wrote:
Tue, 14 Jan 2020 8:41 pm

Thanks for your kind advice.
I’ll make efforts.
I always thought the length of staying in Singapore does make some difference, but they may consider my stability and skill set more.
I might not the desired industry and skill set...

Being limited by employment pass makes me feel like prisoner here...I can’t change job freely and it did reduce a bit my possibility
Anyway I will give myself at least 1 year before applying again.

Does it help if I engage more volunteering or charity( I am a regular volunteer already)
Does it help if I engage more volunteering or charity( I am a regular volunteer already)
- How regular are you? Volunteered for 3 years continuosly?
Once a month for 2 years
Regular donator for 2 years also
But it’s starting from my ex-company charity event, then I become interested and do it continuously
Once a month for 2 years - what do you do?
Regular donator for 2 years also - what do you do?

I am afraid if it is going to make a difference. Very likely no impact.

gingiku

Re: My bloody experience applying PR with a bloody agency (being rejected already)

Post by gingiku » Wed, 15 Jan 2020 12:05 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 15 Jan 2020 9:32 am
1. Don't use an agency. When you use an agency you are signalling that you are too bloody stupid to fill out a simple form FFS. Why should we give you PR what?
2. Don't apply too frequently - no more than once every 18 months and try to show substantial changes (hopefully improvements).
You're sooooo right. I felt like a bloody idiot after seeing the noble-winning cover letter..that's the only thing I once looked forward to :(

Thanks for your advice.
I'll try next year if my income increased.
But it's quite likely it won't be a big difference unless I change job again. I'm not sure they will think I'm not stable if I change job frequently like every 1 or 2 years.
Anyway I'll try my best approaching my dream job even with work permit.

gingiku

Post by gingiku » Wed, 15 Jan 2020 12:10 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Wed, 15 Jan 2020 9:48 am
gingiku wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
Tue, 14 Jan 2020 9:49 pm

- How regular are you? Volunteered for 3 years continuosly?
Once a month for 2 years
But it’s starting from my ex-company charity event, then I become interested and do it continuously

volunteering events held by giving.sg
subscription on donation to enable.sg and WWF
Both to help disable and ill people.

I once participated in a volunteering events held by ex-company and became quite keen on it.
The agency said it'll help ...
but I initially just wanted to do myself, no thing to do with PR application.

gingiku

Post by gingiku » Wed, 15 Jan 2020 12:10 pm

gingiku wrote:
Wed, 15 Jan 2020 12:10 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:
Wed, 15 Jan 2020 9:48 am
gingiku wrote:

Once a month for 2 years

sorry I double click for several times
Last edited by gingiku on Wed, 15 Jan 2020 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gingiku

Post by gingiku » Wed, 15 Jan 2020 12:11 pm

And I also wondering cover letter, recommendation letter and such copywriting thing make a difference in application?

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Wed, 15 Jan 2020 12:31 pm

gingiku wrote:And I also wondering cover letter, recommendation letter and such copywriting thing make a difference in application?
No

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

gingiku

Post by gingiku » Wed, 15 Jan 2020 12:46 pm

therat wrote:
Wed, 15 Jan 2020 12:31 pm
gingiku wrote:And I also wondering cover letter, recommendation letter and such copywriting thing make a difference in application?
No

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
ok, saving time :D
thanks

hellofriday

Post by hellofriday » Wed, 15 Jan 2020 8:01 pm

Ty for sharing. Should sticky this for awareness lol.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Jan 2020 8:58 pm

Why? There are over a dozen threads on why you should not use an agency. Actually common sense should tell you that they cannot do anything you cannot do yourself (unless you listen to their BS and "want to believe"). If that's the case, all the stickies in the world will not help, especially when said agency can 'buy advertising space' on this board and have their own thread. If a person doesn't come here first then it's of no use anyway, if they do come here first, the search function will turn up those threads.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

gingiku

Post by gingiku » Wed, 15 Jan 2020 9:39 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 15 Jan 2020 8:58 pm
Why? There are over a dozen threads on why you should not use an agency. Actually common sense should tell you that they cannot do anything you cannot do yourself (unless you listen to their BS and "want to believe"). If that's the case, all the stickies in the world will not help, especially when said agency can 'buy advertising space' on this board and have their own thread. If a person doesn't come here first then it's of no use anyway, if they do come here first, the search function will turn up those threads.
Both of me and my mom were desperate and wanted to try luck at that time.
like people went to buy some lucky stones...
And after made payment I search here and felt like idiot already....

gingiku

Post by gingiku » Wed, 15 Jan 2020 9:42 pm

hellofriday wrote:
Wed, 15 Jan 2020 8:01 pm
Ty for sharing. Should sticky this for awareness lol.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Thank you too <:

I hope so...

But maybe the manager thought it was too stupid to sticky as seldom people in this place will make such stupid mistakes...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Jan 2020 10:40 pm

There are a number of these threads here as well. We sticky everything, back to square one.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 16 Jan 2020 10:01 am

gingiku wrote:
Wed, 15 Jan 2020 12:05 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 15 Jan 2020 9:32 am
1. Don't use an agency. When you use an agency you are signalling that you are too bloody stupid to fill out a simple form FFS. Why should we give you PR what?
2. Don't apply too frequently - no more than once every 18 months and try to show substantial changes (hopefully improvements).
You're sooooo right. I felt like a bloody idiot after seeing the noble-winning cover letter..that's the only thing I once looked forward to :(

Thanks for your advice.
I'll try next year if my income increased.
But it's quite likely it won't be a big difference unless I change job again. I'm not sure they will think I'm not stable if I change job frequently like every 1 or 2 years.
Anyway I'll try my best approaching my dream job even with work permit.
Ging - make their life hell. Join all the FB Singapore expat forum and post your story. Write the truth (don't embellish).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

PrincZe

Post by PrincZe » Tue, 21 Jan 2020 3:12 pm

gingiku wrote:
Wed, 15 Jan 2020 12:11 pm
And I also wondering cover letter, recommendation letter and such copywriting thing make a difference in application?
can u share / upload the cover letter that they gave u? jsut see what is it about

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 Jan 2020 5:49 pm

This is exactly what ICA is coming down on. Boilerplate documents.