Singapore Expats

Singaporean Citizenship Application Rejected

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Yuta3478

Singaporean Citizenship Application Rejected

Post by Yuta3478 » Thu, 09 Jan 2020 2:02 pm

Hello, I have been living in Singapore for the past 15 years and hold a PR Status (Filipino Nationality). Currently waiting for A' Level results and planning to stay in SG for uni. However last year, I applied for a Singaporean Citizenship around June and by September, received a notice of rejection that said "We have considered your application carefully but regret to inform you that it has been rejected."

My parents suggested applying once again as a family after a few months when I am allowed to reapply again but any suggestions on why it was rejected? My friends suggested that it might due to my age seeing as I am only turning 19 this year and applied last year for the citizenship on my own. Would applying as a family make any difference? I have been living in Singapore since I was very young and resonate to the Singaporean culture strongly since this is where I was brought up and I have no plans of returning to Philippines in the future. My parents' income is not too bad I think it's around $15k (combined) and my sister is also working here.

Any suggestions on what might have went wrong in the first place? I know SG Citizenship approval rates have decreased around 50% recently and that Filipinos are classified under "others" in ethnicity and have a low percentage of around 2% acceptance rate. Also if anybody has gone through the same experience before, would you mind providing some advice? Thank you.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Singaporean Citizenship Application Rejected

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Jan 2020 2:12 pm

Are you male or female?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Yuta3478

Post by Yuta3478 » Thu, 09 Jan 2020 9:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 09 Jan 2020 2:12 pm
Are you male or female?
I'm female

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Jan 2020 1:32 am

You will have a hard time gaining SGC for a number of reasons.
You have yet to gain PR based on your own merits, but riding on your family's coattails.
You don't even have enough job experience (at least 3 to 5 years).
You will probably not be considered until you reach the age of majority and even then it may be hard if you are still living at home and your Parents have not applied for SGC.
And lastly, and most unfairly, you nationality will be a stumbling block, even though it shouldn't be.

My advice? Get a Job in line with your education. work for at least 3 years which should also put you over the age of majority as well, then apply. Or have the whole family apply for SGC.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 10 Jan 2020 10:40 pm

Yuta3478 wrote:
Thu, 09 Jan 2020 2:02 pm
Hello, I have been living in Singapore for the past 15 years and hold a PR Status (Filipino Nationality). Currently waiting for A' Level results and planning to stay in SG for uni. However last year, I applied for a Singaporean Citizenship around June and by September, received a notice of rejection that said "We have considered your application carefully but regret to inform you that it has been rejected."

My parents suggested applying once again as a family after a few months when I am allowed to reapply again but any suggestions on why it was rejected? My friends suggested that it might due to my age seeing as I am only turning 19 this year and applied last year for the citizenship on my own. Would applying as a family make any difference? I have been living in Singapore since I was very young and resonate to the Singaporean culture strongly since this is where I was brought up and I have no plans of returning to Philippines in the future. My parents' income is not too bad I think it's around $15k (combined) and my sister is also working here.

Any suggestions on what might have went wrong in the first place? I know SG Citizenship approval rates have decreased around 50% recently and that Filipinos are classified under "others" in ethnicity and have a low percentage of around 2% acceptance rate. Also if anybody has gone through the same experience before, would you mind providing some advice? Thank you.
Any reasons on why your parents are not applying for SC as a family?

shuigao

Post by shuigao » Thu, 16 Jan 2020 11:06 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 10 Jan 2020 1:32 am
And lastly, and most unfairly, you nationality will be a stumbling block, even though it shouldn't be.
A little off topic perhaps, but do you know of any cases where a student / non-working adult has his/her SC application approved? I only ask because ICA does say that you can apply, but of course being eligible to apply and having a chance to actually get approved are 2 different things.

https://www.ica.gov.sg/PR/citizenship/P ... _becomeasc (eligibility condition #4):
4. Are a PR studying in Singapore; and have been residing in Singapore for more than 3 years (of which, at least one year as a PR); and have passed at least one national exam (i.e. PSLE, GCE ‘N’/‘O’/‘A’ levels), or are in the Integrated Programme (IP).
--> I presume that anyone in this category would almost certainly be PR riding on Parents PR (and not PR on his/her own merits).
shuigao's travel & food blog http://look-see-eat.blogspot.com/

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 16 Jan 2020 11:17 am

shuigao wrote:
Thu, 16 Jan 2020 11:06 am
--> I presume that anyone in this category would almost certainly be PR riding on Parents PR (and not PR on his/her own merits).
Mostly, yes