Singapore Expats

What are your biggest PR rejection fears? :(

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
korosensei
Regular
Regular

Re: What are your biggest PR rejection fears? [emoji20]

Post by korosensei » Tue, 07 Jan 2020 2:56 pm

alto_admin wrote:
Tue, 07 Jan 2020 2:27 pm
jamie9vardy wrote:
Mon, 06 Jan 2020 8:43 am
alto_admin wrote:
That's for sure. Do you know of other races who also think their conditions aren't favorable?
Vietnamese and Peens
What seems to be their reason for concern? Quota?
I think it is because they are under the "others" race.

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

What are your biggest PR rejection fears? [emoji20]

Post by jamie9vardy » Tue, 07 Jan 2020 3:48 pm

alto_admin wrote:What seems to be their reason for concern? Quota?
You may loosely say it’s due to quota. The regulars here have said it countless times that PR is the stepping stone to SC.

The SC materials must be able to understand the local cultures, integrate well into the Singapore society. Also, the gahmen needs to keep the ethic mix more or less intact.

Also, some successful PR and subsequently SC applicants bring about collateral damage in the form of relatives, friends, neighbours, fellow villagers, pets who are eyeing a Long Term pass or residence status, especially from those less-developed countries than SG (which account for majority of them).

I’m not saying it’s impossible for you to obtain PR but the boat has sailed as your countrymen (as well as the Peens) had taken advantage of the lax criteria during 2007/08 and prior, some even abusing the benefits afforded to them.

The PAP remembers the lesson from 2011 General Elections very well, based on the graph above. With another GE due this year and CECA and FCF coming under spotlight during elections husting, the gahmen will likely take a wait and see approach.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Re: What are your biggest PR rejection fears? :(

Post by smoulder » Tue, 07 Jan 2020 3:55 pm

I'd love to volunteer if there's an opportunity that fit my skillset (e.g teaching programming). But until one emerges, it'll have to money for now!
Eh? Are there no organizations out there that are interested in teaching underprivileged kids computer skills (if not programming)? Just a thought...

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 07 Jan 2020 4:31 pm

alto_admin wrote:
jamie9vardy wrote:
alto_admin wrote:
That's for sure. Do you know of other races who also think their conditions aren't favorable?
Vietnamese and Peens
Not sure what is the objective/outcome of this discussion.? Hearing their fears and reason for concern what are you going to do with? Looks this will bring up more things and make them feel more worried.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 07 Jan 2020 4:45 pm

alto_admin wrote:
jamie9vardy wrote:
alto_admin wrote:
Vietnamese and Peens
No. Acclimation with the three main races here. If they feel you cannot acclimate, the odds are you won't, and will be unhappy and/or pack up and leave, meanwhile probably still holding onto your PR for 5 years (as a lot tend to be PR collectors always trying to scam the system and most that do this are from the sub-continent). As can be noted, the charts do not tell how many PR are no longer in Singapore and these numbers are not reflected in the statistics (at least not this set). But because there are unspoken quotas, it does deprive new PR seekers from a spot as the PR who is no longer here is still holding PR at least until their REP expires. The problem with the Indian community is the fact that they, by and large do not try to integrate with the local Indian community so it causes friction as most incoming Indians feel they are better than the locals. Having said that, there is a fair bit of bias against PRCs as well for the same reason and a few other reasons that I won't go into here.

An additional problem with the Indian community is what happened during the run up to the 2011 GE in as much as an Indian would get promoted into a hiring position in a company, then would ONLY hire Indians and nobody else, regardless of their qualifications. Needless to say, when this was found out it was all over the news. The subsequent backlash is also a contributor to the curtailment of Indians getting PR here. Generally, the countrymen who came before the current crop did a good job of crapping in their nests and ruining for all followers.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 07 Jan 2020 4:47 pm

SF, let 'em run with it. But I'm giving the unvarnished truths here (as you are well aware of).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Tue, 07 Jan 2020 6:25 pm

The problem with the Indian community is the fact that they, by and large do not try to integrate with the local Indian community so it causes friction as most incoming Indians feel they are better than the locals.
As an Indian from India (and since we are into the unvarnished version as you put it), I can attest to this. Unfortunately, many of us don't make much of an attempt to integrate with any race including our own. It's created an impression that when we land here, we'll look at the other Indian's caste and then decide if we consider them on par. In my early days here, I dated a few local Indian girls and the impression that I got was that they had a terrible opinion of us, probably because of the reasons that you and I noted. They seem to have an even worse opinion about us than other races have about us.

In my opinion, most of us have a sense of detachment with the host country. We are happy with our own culture, food, people and ways of life. Most will just go where the money and easier immigration takes them.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Tue, 07 Jan 2020 10:30 pm

I have an ex colleague, Indian PR. He always ask Indian colleagues whether is local or from India. Which class they from? And always stress, he is from Brahimins. Even told non Indian, he is from Brahimins.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 07 Jan 2020 10:33 pm

therat wrote:
Tue, 07 Jan 2020 10:30 pm
I have an ex colleague, Indian PR. He always ask Indian colleagues whether is local or from India. Which class they from? And always stress, he is from Brahimins. Even told non Indian, he is from Brahimins.

What he did is wrong, I agree. But do you stereotype?

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Tue, 07 Jan 2020 10:36 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
therat wrote:
Tue, 07 Jan 2020 10:30 pm

What he did is wrong, I agree. But do you stereotype?
Did I say I sterotype them? There are good and bad people from all race. Is it just because 1 did wrong and other need to take the blame?

alto_admin

Post by alto_admin » Wed, 08 Jan 2020 11:37 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 07 Jan 2020 4:45 pm
The problem with the Indian community is the fact that they, by and large do not try to integrate with the local Indian community so it causes friction as most incoming Indians feel they are better than the locals.
But how does ICA tell if someone integrated into the local community since the form doesn't ask for it and testimonials could easily be faked?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 08 Jan 2020 11:48 am

alto_admin wrote:
Wed, 08 Jan 2020 11:37 am
But how does ICA tell if someone integrated into the local community since the form doesn't ask for it and testimonials could easily be faked?
They know how to assess it. If they tell you how, all of them will try to follow/replicate or do the same.So, for sure they wont reveal. Certain things wont be revealed to prevent abuse.

But if you have been following the forum for a while, you should have some idea on how it is assessed.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Jan 2020 12:01 pm

^^^^This.

korosensei
Regular
Regular

Post by korosensei » Wed, 08 Jan 2020 12:20 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Wed, 08 Jan 2020 11:48 am
alto_admin wrote:
Wed, 08 Jan 2020 11:37 am

They know how to assess it. If they tell you how, all of them will try to follow/replicate or do the same.So, for sure they wont reveal. Certain things wont be revealed to prevent abuse.

But if you have been following the forum for a while, you should have some idea on how it is assessed.
Well said

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Wed, 08 Jan 2020 12:59 pm

One of the obvious ways is if you are married to a Singaporean. For long enough - thus taking marriages of convenience out of the equation. Cement that with kids.