Singapore Expats

PR REJECTED, APPLIED UNDER SPOUSE SCHEME

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Troubled

PR REJECTED, APPLIED UNDER SPOUSE SCHEME

Post by Troubled » Mon, 02 Dec 2019 11:07 pm

Hi,

I just received a letter of rejection from ICA.

Below is my profile:
Male, 35 years old
Length of stay in Sg: 10 years
Marital status: married to a local Chinese since 2018
Child: 1 year old baby girl who is a Singaporean
Nationality: Pakistani
Annual salary: 120k (I own my own business and am holding an EP currently)
Date of application: Nov 2018

In September, my wife (who is my sponsor for the PR application) received a letter from ICA requesting for full curriculum vitae of my family members, which we submitted.

Recently, I went back to Pakistan for a few days alone as my father was critically ill and I did not bring my wife and baby along due to the harsh weather conditions there. I received this letter right after I went back to Pakistan. I can't help to think if me flying back to Pakistan alone has anything to do with the rejection.

I am wondering if anyone else with similar profile as me has had his/her PR rejected too. Any comments/advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

chinnyreckon

Re: PR REJECTED, APPLIED UNDER SPOUSE SCHEME

Post by chinnyreckon » Tue, 03 Dec 2019 7:50 am

The wise ones here always recommend at least 2 years of marriage before applying for PR.
Better luck next time!

Troubled

Post by Troubled » Tue, 03 Dec 2019 8:12 am

chinnyreckon wrote:
Tue, 03 Dec 2019 7:50 am
The wise ones here always recommend at least 2 years of marriage before applying for PR.
Better luck next time!
Thank you, was wandering to appeal via MP or wait for sometime and then apply a fresh new application?

any thoughts ?

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 03 Dec 2019 10:12 am

Troubled wrote:
Tue, 03 Dec 2019 8:12 am
chinnyreckon wrote:
Better luck next time!
Thank you, was wandering to appeal via MP or wait for sometime and then apply a fresh new application?

any thoughts ?
Appeal is not going to help. Submit a new application after 1.5 to 2 years. Also make sure that your spouse is continuously working before she submits your application as the sponsor.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 03 Dec 2019 12:07 pm

Troubled wrote:
Mon, 02 Dec 2019 11:07 pm
can't help to think if me flying back to Pakistan alone has anything to do with the rejection.
No, it wouldn't have been that at all. More likely, you've been screwed by your own countrymen. It's been a favourite ploy of your countrymen in the past to marry local girls for no other reason than to get PR and then Citizenship and then leave their wives. Not saying that you are that type, but I've been on this board for 15 years and have been an HR Mgr for the past 25 and I've seen it a lot. All you can to is keep on trying and give them what they ask for and keep your fingers crossed as your countrymen who came before you have left a minefield for your to cross.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Troubled

Post by Troubled » Tue, 03 Dec 2019 10:25 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Tue, 03 Dec 2019 10:12 am
Troubled wrote:
Tue, 03 Dec 2019 8:12 am
chinnyreckon wrote:
Better luck next time!

any thoughts ?
Appeal is not going to help. Submit a new application after 1.5 to 2 years. Also make sure that your spouse is continuously working before she submits your application as the sponsor.
Thanks, will wait up and apply again :)

Troubled

Post by Troubled » Tue, 03 Dec 2019 11:16 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 03 Dec 2019 12:07 pm
Troubled wrote:
can't help to think if me flying back to Pakistan alone has anything to do with the rejection.
No, it wouldn't have been that at all. More likely, you've been screwed by your own countrymen. It's been a favourite ploy of your countrymen in the past to marry local girls for no other reason than to get PR and then Citizenship and then leave their wives. Not saying that you are that type, but I've been on this board for 15 years and have been an HR Mgr for the past 25 and I've seen it a lot. All you can to is keep on trying and give them what they ask for and keep your fingers crossed as your countrymen who came before you have left a minefield for your to cross.
Thank you for your feedback and I can't agree more with what you said. However, what bugged me the most is that they asked me in September to submit my family curriculum vitae and eventually still rejected my application. I thought if they weren't interested in giving me my PR, they wouldn't have even asked me for further details.

Also, can I get your advice on this. When they asked me to submit my family curriculum vitae, my wife wrote an email to them telling them that I could only submit the details of my immediate siblings and not that of my half siblings as I am already estranged from them and not in contact with them anymore. ICA did not reply to that email. I wonder if me not being able to provide their details was the reason they rejected my application. Not sure if this is relevant information but one of my half siblings is actually a SPR who has been in Singapore for over 20 years.

Also, when it comes to social integration - what is ICA looking at?

Hope to hear from you soon. Many thanks.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 03 Dec 2019 11:40 pm

Troubled wrote:
Tue, 03 Dec 2019 11:16 pm
Troubled wrote:
Thank you for your feedback and I can't agree more with what you said. However, what bugged me the most is that they asked me in September to submit my family curriculum vitae and eventually still rejected my application. I thought if they weren't interested in giving me my PR, they wouldn't have even asked me for further details.

Also, can I get your advice on this. When they asked me to submit my family curriculum vitae, my wife wrote an email to them telling them that I could only submit the details of my immediate siblings and not that of my half siblings as I am already estranged from them and not in contact with them anymore. ICA did not reply to that email. I wonder if me not being able to provide their details was the reason they rejected my application. Not sure if this is relevant information but one of my half siblings is actually a SPR who has been in Singapore for over 20 years.

Just because they asked your family curriculum vitae does not mean they are going to issue you the PR. It might have just been for audit or for further checks. Do not expect ICA to reply to each of your email. Whatever email you send to them will SURELY be sent to the case officer. The officer will surely take that into consideration. They will reply back to you only in case of important updates. Your half sibling being a SPR and being in Singapore for 20 years, wont make any big difference to your application.

Initially you said just because you were out of sg, it was rejected, now you are saying because you didnt submit some family info it is rejected.

Why dont you accept the rejection, wait for 1.5-2 years and then reapply.

In short, i feel that you are trying to read too much into details and finding reasons for your rejections which may not be the real reason for rejection.

I still feel just being married for 1 year at the time of application, can still be one of the Key reason. Is your spouse who sponsored your job working continuously without any career/CPF break? Is her salary enough to support the family in ICA's point of view? All these matter too.

Troubled

Post by Troubled » Wed, 04 Dec 2019 12:44 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Tue, 03 Dec 2019 11:40 pm
Troubled wrote:
Tue, 03 Dec 2019 11:16 pm

Just because they asked your family curriculum vitae does not mean they are going to issue you the PR. It might have just been for audit or for further checks. Do not expect ICA to reply to each of your email. Whatever email you send to them will SURELY be sent to the case officer. The officer will surely take that into consideration. They will reply back to you only in case of important updates. Your half sibling being a SPR and being in Singapore for 20 years, wont make any big difference to your application.

Initially you said just because you were out of sg, it was rejected, now you are saying because you didnt submit some family info it is rejected.

Why dont you accept the rejection, wait for 1.5-2 years and then reapply.

In short, i feel that you are trying to read too much into details and finding reasons for your rejections which may not be the real reason for rejection.

I still feel just being married for 1 year at the time of application, can still be one of the Key reason. Is your spouse who sponsored your job working continuously without any career/CPF break? Is her salary enough to support the family in ICA's point of view? All these matter too.
Yeah it might seem that i am reading too much into it but i just wanted to be sure so I know what steps to take in my next application. Yeah she has been working continuously. Her salary is about 4k a month but she's not the only one supporting the family. We are both working and contributing and our combined salary is more than sufficient to support our family

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Dec 2019 1:30 am

But as you sponsor she needs to be able to support you without your income should become unemployed or unemployable. That is why your salary is disregarded. They also ask about family CVs because they are not looking for a new PR/Citizen who have a whole village waiting in the background. And as SF mentioned, one year is too soon. Another problem is the way you are approaching it as it sounds like maybe you have been hiding something. Estranged or not, they are part of the family and when ICA asks for something that is what they expect to receive. Also, another telling comment is the fact that you made mention of "what step to take in my next application". You cannot put anything you want in the application and if you reapply with a substantially different application. You will get rejected immediately as they will then know that either the first or second application was a false document. Die-die either way.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Troubled

Post by Troubled » Wed, 04 Dec 2019 8:10 am

Wed, 04 Dec 2019 1:30 am
But as you sponsor she needs to be able to support you without your income should become unemployed or unemployable. That is why your salary is disregarded. They also ask about family CVs because they are not looking for a new PR/Citizen who have a whole village waiting in the background. And as SF mentioned, one year is too soon. Another problem is the way you are approaching it as it sounds like maybe you have been hiding something. Estranged or not, they are part of the family and when ICA asks for something that is what they expect to receive. Also, another telling comment is the fact that you made mention of "what step to take in my next application". You cannot put anything you want in the application and if you reapply with a substantially different application. You will get rejected immediately as they will then know that either the first or second application was a false document. Die-die either way.
Thank you and i appreciate your feedback. what i meant was improvements in my next application. I wont change any information and i will wait 1.5 to 2 years and then reapply.

cheers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Dec 2019 12:30 pm

Good luck. And have patience. I was here for 11 years, had one wife, two kids and three cars on a tourist visa (I worked in the offshore Oil Industry back then - was out of the country for 2 month and back for 4 weeks before leaving again.) I eventually left the oil industry to find a proper job in Singapore as there were no guarantees I would be let back in (before the crackdown on visa runs - talking about the '80's now). My wife and 2 children were Singaporeans but there was no guarantees I could stay here with my family. So, I left the oilfield, got a job in Singapore on EP and after 3 tries finally managed to get my PR in the early 1990's. Patience sometimes is the name of the game.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Wed, 04 Dec 2019 6:34 pm

Wed, 04 Dec 2019 12:30 pm
Good luck. And have patience. I was here for 11 years, had one wife, two kids and three cars on a tourist visa (I worked in the offshore Oil Industry back then - was out of the country for 2 month and back for 4 weeks before leaving again.) I eventually left the oil industry to find a proper job in Singapore as there were no guarantees I would be let back in (before the crackdown on visa runs - talking about the '80's now). My wife and 2 children were Singaporeans but there was no guarantees I could stay here with my family. So, I left the oilfield, got a job in Singapore on EP and after 3 tries finally managed to get my PR in the early 1990's. Patience sometimes is the name of the game.
Wow that is quite a surprise that they rejected you 3 times back then.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Dec 2019 8:03 pm

smoulder wrote:
Wed, 04 Dec 2019 6:34 pm
Wow that is quite a surprise that they rejected you 3 times back then.
My wife was not from the Favoured Race.

Troubled

Post by Troubled » Wed, 04 Dec 2019 11:08 pm

Wed, 04 Dec 2019 12:30 pm
Thank you for sharing your personal experience, it means a lot. It's a hard run, he who can have patience can have what he will :)

You guys are awesome and hats off for making things easier for a lot of us out there.

cheers!