Singapore Expats

Akitas?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JJuulliiaa

Akitas?

Post by JJuulliiaa » Wed, 17 Jul 2013 11:42 pm

Hi all

Wondering if someone can clarify for me, before we moved out here we had a 3 year old Japanese Akita, who we've had to leave with the mother in law as they are a banned breed to import in to Singapore.

My question is how come when I google Akitas in Singapore I can find classifieds for people selling Akita puppies?

Are they just taking the pee or have I misunderstood the situation? So is it because we would want to import her rather than get a new one? not that I'm desperately hoping we could get my baby puppy dog out here or anything :(

The worst part is and I know it's a such a cliche and everyone says it about their dog, she is the softest thing ever, she got "beaten up" by a jack russell and didn't retaliate, just came and tried to hide by me. I assume they'd be banned as they are big, strong and people don't bother to train them properly / don't understand the breed traits when they get them because they look pretty or some other dumb reason. (Gah people, ruining things for other people since time began)

I've tried reading the AVA website on a number of occasions but quite frankly it's rubbish and hasn't helped clear anything up

Thanks

A much confused Julia

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 21 Jul 2013 7:28 pm

maybe the ones being sold were bred locally from um, old stock?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Jul 2013 8:40 pm

I still haven't found where is says that they are banned. Just that they need to be muzzled when outside.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 21 Jul 2013 9:50 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I still haven't found where is says that they are banned. Just that they need to be muzzled when outside.
The ban is found in the Veterinary Conditions for the Import of Dogs for Each schedule of countries... A, B, C, D. See the bottom of the second page.

http://www.ava.gov.sg/NR/rdonlyres/A17F ... ly2013.pdf

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Jul 2013 10:01 pm

Thanks SE. Appreciate that.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 2:42 pm

allegedly some people bring them in and declare them as shiba inu just what i read in the internet. don't really know if its true

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 5:09 pm

Personally I don't think akitas should be banned anymore than other large cold weather breeds. I've found them to be docile and well mannered.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 4:57 pm

PNGMK wrote:Personally I don't think akitas should be banned anymore than other large cold weather breeds. I've found them to be docile and well mannered.
Thats coz the poor dogs can barely move in this weather .........

Having to sit down after every 20 secs of exercise doesnt seem like a happy life to me.

Always half asleep .....

I am baffled why folk want them as pets here.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

PaMar

Re: Akitas?

Post by PaMar » Tue, 05 Nov 2019 2:01 pm

I just wanted to share that i am one more with same problem.
I'm moving in Singapore for MBA and i cannot bring my lovely Akita with me.
I have tried to communicate with the ministry but every try to find a solution was unsuccessful.
I have read that some people try to persuade the authorities by record Akitas as Shiba Inu and maybe it works but in my case my Akita is 5 years old so i cannot do such thing.

In any case every piece of advise would be invaluable.

Return to “General Discussions”