Singapore Expats

STVP after EP Cancelation and moving in and out of Singapore on STVP

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
garudaa

STVP after EP Cancelation and moving in and out of Singapore on STVP

Post by garudaa » Thu, 17 Oct 2019 11:53 pm

Hi,

Sorry if my question is a duplicate - just anxious about my stay and visa here.

My last day at work was supposed to be 31st Oct 2019 and I'm on gardening leave, but my company suddenly canceled my EP(likely miscommunication - new HR person in this company) and I am currently on vacation outside Singapore. I have a STVP which comes with the cancelation. I have a new job offer in SG and the EP application for the new job has been made but it is still in process.

I want to come back to Singapore(preferably) from my vacation. Does STVP allow a person to enter SG or only allow someone already in SG to stay?

Also would appreciate any advice about my options here!

Thanks.
Last edited by garudaa on Sat, 19 Oct 2019 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: STVP after EP Cancelation and moving in and out of Singapore on STVP

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Oct 2019 12:07 am

Does your SVP say multiple entry or single entry only?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

garudaa

Post by garudaa » Fri, 18 Oct 2019 12:20 am

It does not mention either. It just says,

i. The document serves as a Visit Pass under Regulation 12 of Immigration Regulations
ii. Validity of the STVP(1 month from issue) or validity of my travel document whichever earlier
iii. I can't get employed or engage in activities detrimental to SG's security
iv. This document also serves as an embarkation form for the Foreigner
v. Then it says that the document should be printed and presented to immigration officer for clearance at the point of departure from Singapore
vi. Then there is a warning about how overstaying is an offence.

Thanks!
Last edited by garudaa on Fri, 18 Oct 2019 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Oct 2019 1:14 am

Single entry. If you are out of the country already, it is of no use to you. It's only valid from the date of cancellation till you exit Singapore within 30 days. You cannot re-enter Singapore with it. That SVP is only given at the end of a contract and is only good for your departure as you would already be here. If you are already out of the country, then you would need a regular visa to re-enter if one is required by your country of Passport.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

garudaa

Post by garudaa » Fri, 18 Oct 2019 1:29 am

Thanks.

Follow up question: if my new EP is approved, does the old EP automatically get canceled or do I have to notify my old employer to cancel it? I am wondering if the new EP is approved and the new employer has delayed letting me know about it, and in the meantime the old employer was notified about the cancelation and has passed on the communication to me. Is this possible?

garudaa

Post by garudaa » Fri, 18 Oct 2019 1:56 am

Just realized that this is super unlikely.

https://www.mom.gov.sg/faq/employment-p ... -cancelled

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Oct 2019 2:20 pm

Don't be confused by the terms. There is a difference between 'approved' (IPA) and 'issued' (you are holding the work permit in your hands). The IPA is good for 6 months, after which it is automatically cancelled if issuance has not been done. While you can have an IPA, it actual EP cannot be issued until the old employer cancels the existing EP.

garudaa

Post by garudaa » Sat, 19 Oct 2019 4:45 am

Thanks. I thought should share an update.

I happen to be in Bangkok. Ran to the Singapore Embassy with my wife, who is Singaporean(hoping that would let he speak to someone in the embassy), first thing in the morning. We weren’t allowed to enter but then we didn’t have to - spoke to an officer inside on the phone from the embassy guard-house. They directed me to a visa agent near the embassy. I made a visa application with the agent. My multiple entry visit visa got approved in less than 24 hours by the super efficient SG Embassy in Bangkok.

Phew.

Thanks again!
Last edited by garudaa on Sat, 19 Oct 2019 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Sat, 19 Oct 2019 10:59 am

garudaa wrote:
Fri, 18 Oct 2019 1:29 am
Thanks.

Follow up question: if my new EP is approved, does the old EP automatically get canceled or do I have to notify my old employer to cancel it? I am wondering if the new EP is approved and the new employer has delayed letting me know about it, and in the meantime the old employer was notified about the cancelation and has passed on the communication to me. Is this possible?

In your initial post you had said the new HR already CANCELLED THE EP? That is why they issued a single entry STVP? Then why are you now asking if you need to notify your old employer to cancel the EP?

garudaa

Post by garudaa » Sat, 19 Oct 2019 11:10 am

Hi, it was my old company which accidentally canceled my EP. My new EP is still in process!