Singapore Expats

Should PMD be banned?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Should PMD be banned?

Post by abbby » Mon, 30 Sep 2019 9:09 pm

PMDs seems to be creating some havoc, burning up flats, PMD riders knocking down pedestrians and cyclists. I personally find the riders to be going at high speeds on footpaths and parks. What's your take? :???: :(
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Should PMD be banned?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 Sep 2019 9:37 pm

How many flats have to be burned out? How many injuries and deaths need to take place before the government does the correct thing?

I'd like to see them banned completely with the only exceptions being for those who are physically impaired and cannot walk. They should be allowed to use only 3 or 4-wheeled PMDs with a maximum speed limit of a brisk walking speed. They banned petro-assisted bicycles around 10 or 15 years ago for the same reasons. Roadways are for mechanically assisted modes of transport, pedestrian walkways are for ambulatory human traffic. The only mechanically assisted mode allowed on pedestrian ways are the above mentioned slow-moving PDMs designed for physically impaired riders and they must have identification to prove physical impairment.

Otherwise, make Louisville Slugger's legal carry for pedestrians.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Mon, 30 Sep 2019 9:57 pm

@sundaymorningstaple: I have to agree with you on your points. I do hope too that the government can put a ban on PMD. With the exception for 3 or 4 wheeled PMDs for the physically disabled. I am not sure why isn't it banned till now, why license them, why put age limits, why give them options - the dangers will eventually still be there.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Mon, 30 Sep 2019 11:12 pm

Banning PMDs goes against the governments car-light policies and plans for the future. But yes, they cause too much trouble and I believe they should be banned.

Wong_Jnr
Regular
Regular

Post by Wong_Jnr » Tue, 01 Oct 2019 9:38 am

I personally don't think PMDs should be banned. They need to be regulated stronger. e.g. max speed limit, weight, size etc. which the government are doing, but I guess it's a tricky task to enforce.
3rd party insurance and some form of competency test should be standard I think.
PMDs are supposed to be for that "last mile" journey and I think it's a good solution, just needs tweaking to get it right.
If you ban PMDs, shouldn't you then ban cycles from footpaths? Cyclists "appear" to be better behaved so surely it's an education thing...

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 01 Oct 2019 10:32 am

Wong_Jnr wrote:
Tue, 01 Oct 2019 9:38 am
I personally don't think PMDs should be banned. They need to be regulated stronger. e.g. max speed limit, weight, size etc. which the government are doing, but I guess it's a tricky task to enforce.
3rd party insurance and some form of competency test should be standard I think.
PMDs are supposed to be for that "last mile" journey and I think it's a good solution, just needs tweaking to get it right.
If you ban PMDs, shouldn't you then ban cycles from footpaths? Cyclists "appear" to be better behaved so surely it's an education thing...
Agree with the above. No need to ban them. Just implement suitable restrictions and enforce them.
1. PMDs would need to be registered and identifiable (e.g. via a link to a mobile phone application to avoid building some dedicated infrastructure). They should also undergo certification and periodic inspection if needed.
2. Regulations on how they should fit into the pedestrian (and perhaps bicycle) traffic (speed limits, priorities etc.) should be put in place.
3. Any breach of the rules / registration should be addressed (enforced) – the gov. proved many times they could do this. It is a matter of resources and whether they would be willing to allocate them.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 01 Oct 2019 10:51 am

We should be legally allowed to own shotguns and take pot shots at moving PMD riders as a form of practise for self defense of the nation. Taking potshots at a non moving PMD should be punished of course.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Tue, 01 Oct 2019 11:04 am

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 01 Oct 2019 10:51 am
We should be legally allowed to own shotguns and take pot shots at moving PMD riders as a form of practise for self defense of the nation. Taking potshots at a non moving PMD should be punished of course.
:lol: :lol:

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Tue, 01 Oct 2019 1:55 pm

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I personally think it should be make it in a way just for Grab Rider / Food Panda etc. Instead of anyone or everyone. Is so dangerous especially whenever there's children everywhere.

Just a knock can kill a Innocent humans. TT or even bring death to self with a fall. Maybe they should look into it!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Oct 2019 3:42 pm

It was a Panda rider who almost hit me IN THE LIFT at NEX on Sunday morning.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Tue, 01 Oct 2019 4:02 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 01 Oct 2019 3:42 pm
It was a Panda rider who almost hit me IN THE LIFT at NEX on Sunday morning.
My goodness. Hopefully you are fine. They should actually park it downstairs instead of bringing into the lift. Wouldnt it be better. haha (just saying) :wink:

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Post by GSM8 » Tue, 01 Oct 2019 4:11 pm

I think PMDs are counter productive and they should be banned outright. Firstly, PMDs mean people dont get that "last mile" walk needed to promote a healthy population. Secondly, PMDs contribute to more traffic on the road not less, because reckless PMD riders mean that people who would otherwise consider taking that "last mile walk" take public transport instead rather risking getting hit - e.g. taking a bus 2 stops to get home from the MRT station instead of walking. And if a walking averse person needs a PMD to go 200m from the nearest bus stop to home they have other problems. Lastly, pavements were designed for walking. Its okay if 1 out 100 use a PMD (i.e.differently abled only as SMS said) but if 50 out of 100 think the same way, it wont be long before the remaining 50 think so also, and with 100% PMDs it'll become slower than walking. I'm not sure what the intent of the policy makers is and whether the change.org petition circulating around will have any effect, but I'd say that if you need a powered vehicle, get a licensed road worthy one, and don't flout rules at the risk of killing yourself (PMDs of course being a convenient way of transferring the "kill risk" to a walking pedestrian instead)

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Tue, 01 Oct 2019 4:30 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 30 Sep 2019 9:37 pm
Otherwise, make Louisville Slugger's legal carry for pedestrians.
=D>
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Tue, 08 Oct 2019 3:30 pm

IT definitely should be banned. Another fire broke out at Bukit Batok, with an adult and infant inside. Hmmm...I am not sure why still not banned.

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Tue, 08 Oct 2019 3:32 pm

abbby wrote:
Tue, 08 Oct 2019 3:30 pm
IT definitely should be banned. Another fire broke out at Bukit Batok, with an adult and infant inside. Hmmm...I am not sure why still not banned.
OMG! Is the adult and infant okay? Eeesh, more and more cases. All innocent lifes. :( :(