Singapore Expats

Non-tourist places to visit in Singapore

Compilation of interesting and useful articles for Singapore Expats readers.
Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Non-tourist places to visit in Singapore

Post by Pal » Mon, 09 Sep 2019 1:58 pm

1568008582dsc09579dFuOT.jpg
From futuristic Supertrees to the Marina Bay Sands hotel, Singapore’s top attractions rank among the world’s most iconic sights. Some of the loveliest places in Singapore, however, are overshadowed by these attractions, and remain under the radar to all but the most determined of tourists. Rather than fighting your way through crowds, it might be worth taking the time to explore the following places at your leisure instead:

Old Hill Street Police Station
Gazetted as a national monument of Singapore, the former police station is a popular location for those looking to take an Instagram-worthy shot with its rainbow-hued window shutters. Apart from its attractive façade, the building’s interior incorporates striking Italianate elements such as arcades, courtyards, loggias and balconies. The building has since been converted into the headquarters of the Ministry of Communications and Information, and the Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth, but you can still soak in the history of these old police quarters which had even been occupied by the Japanese military police once. The main courtyard of the building is now an air-conditioned space called the ARTrium where exhibitions and performances are regularly held.

Parkview Square
One of the most recognisable buildings in Singapore, Parkview Square is fondly called the ‘Gotham building’ by locals who associate the glamorous Art Deco design of its building with something straight from Batman’s Gotham City. Even before you get close to it, you will notice four tall statues, each bearing a globe in his hands, on either side of the building. More statues can be seen in the building’s open plaza, where you might spot world-famous luminaries such as Abraham Lincoln, Chopin, Dante, and Salvador Dalí. Once you enter the opulent lobby with its intricate details and 15-metre high ceiling, you’d be hard pressed to remember that you are in an office building. Parkview Square also houses the stunning Atlas bar and the Parkview Museum which opens from 12 to 7pm daily except on Sundays, so you’d have a legitimate excuse to loiter in the building for as long as you like.

Mustafa
For a taste of 24-hour shopping, Mustafa Centre in Little India is the place to visit. The behemoth shopping centre began as a simple retail store on Campbell Lane in 1971. From its initial offerings of clothes and electronic goods, Mustafa’s selection expanded to include household goods, jewellery, toys, and many other types of goods. Today, Mustafa Centre houses a Mustafa department store which incorporates two separate shopping centres, and a rooftop restaurant. It remains a popular haunt for those looking for a bargain on its 300,000 different items.

Gillman Barracks
For a taste of art and history, the art cluster at Gillman Barracks is hard to beat. The colonial barracks were built in 1936 by the British for their infantry, and included living quarters for the officers, barracks, and sports facilities. Today, the colonial buildings house local and international art galleries, non-profit organisations such as Art Outreach, shops and restaurants. Visitors to Gillman Barracks can visit the art exhibitions and attend art talks at the NTU Centre for Contemporary Art. Those with children can take them to the Playeum’s Children’s Centre for Creativity where interactive spaces and installations encourage the kids to express their artistic side.

Haw Par Villa
Western parents may frighten their child into being good with admonishments of being on Santa’s naughty list, but Chinese parents have no qualms about bringing that philosophy to a whole new level. At Haw Par Villa, the Ten Courts of Hell are depicted with extravagant flair through explicit dioramas of eternal damnation and torture. Those who disrespect their parents will have their heart ripped from their chest, for example, and those who cheat or misuse books will have their bodies sawn in half. In spite of, or perhaps because of the graphic visuals, this attraction had once been a very popular choice of destination for school trips. Apart from the Ten Courts of Hell, Haw Par Villa also houses many statues of characters from Chinese classics such as the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Journey to the West, and the Legend of the White Snake.

By Rayne
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: Non-tourist places to visit in Singapore

Post by abbby » Tue, 10 Sep 2019 9:41 am

Nice article...truth to be told, I have not stepped into Mustafa before, are their prices really low?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 10 Sep 2019 8:19 pm

For lots of stuff, electronics, etc. Cheaper than downtown, but the downside is most of that stuff only has Int'l warranties and not local warranties, so you would be hard-pressed to get any satisfaction from the local distributors.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Tue, 10 Sep 2019 8:44 pm

Ah I see, so probably just daily necessities.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 10 Sep 2019 8:48 pm

That and 50 varieties of Mangoes! There money exchanger generally has very competitive rates as well. I use it all the time before I take off into the wild blue yonder.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 10 Sep 2019 8:59 pm

Another place: Upper Pierce Reservoir Park

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Upper ... 03.8027893

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 10 Sep 2019 9:02 pm

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 10 Sep 2019 9:08 pm

MikeJones
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by MikeJones » Tue, 10 Sep 2019 10:53 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Tue, 10 Sep 2019 9:02 pm
Bukit Batok Town Park

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bukit ... d103.75451
And if you go there you may as well wander down to Bukit Batok Nature Park as well.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bukit ... 03.7641994

You can walk up through the park to the Bukit Batok War Memorial on the top of the hill
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bukit ... 4d103.7667

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 10 Sep 2019 11:09 pm

clavie

Post by clavie » Thu, 26 Sep 2019 3:18 pm

abbby wrote:
Tue, 10 Sep 2019 9:41 am
Nice article...truth to be told, I have not stepped into Mustafa before, are their prices really low?
The great thing about Mustafa centre is that it's really open 24 hours. If you need something urgently at night then that's the place to go. Prices are competitive indeed.

Zul@ikahhh

Post by Zul@ikahhh » Tue, 22 Oct 2019 9:53 am

Also Mustafa Centre, the area there a lot of good food to eat.

nextlife01

Post by nextlife01 » Tue, 10 Dec 2019 5:44 pm

Some Non-Touristy Things to Do in Singapore:

1. Head to an offshore island
2. Cycle all around the island
3. Do some birdwatching
4. Pick up a paddle and kayak
5. Scuba dive an underwater trail
6. Visit some farms

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Tue, 10 Dec 2019 10:51 pm

There's a massive cemetery in the North West:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/5e7ttnPoaaLX9vs66
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

tanmeiwei19

Post by tanmeiwei19 » Fri, 24 Feb 2023 11:49 pm

Go check out design orchard opposite 313 Somerset. Lots of local luxury products there, all local brands.
Warm Regards,
www.facebook.com