Singapore Expats

PR Pending

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Re: PR Pending

Post by jamie9vardy » Fri, 31 May 2019 11:45 pm

Fullbless wrote:I don’t get why MALAYSIAN LADY will be easy , I am a Malaysian, female, married , EP , high salary range and yet I got rejected few times. Don’t just said that is very easy for us to get it.
That is a generalisation based on stats from NPTD and what we observed from other forum members. And it’s Malaysian lady of Chinese descent to be precise, for Malaysians are viewed as the easiest to integrate into the SG society; Chinese is to maintain the ratio of the majority race; ladies of child bearing age for more cannon fodders.

We don’t know much about your profile. Malaysian Chinese with kids? Did you apply as a family unit with Husband and kids? Have you been offered by ICA to apply for PR long ago but didn’t take up the offer? Your position/profession/salary makes you look like you’re very mobile, i.e. no staying power? Maybe there’s a red flag in your background check, that you may or may not be aware of?

The key word here is anecdote and each profile/application is unique.

verovero

Post by verovero » Mon, 22 Jul 2019 5:00 pm

Just to update~

still pending, almost 13 months, and requested to provide additional document of the previous working experience of parents and parents-in-law about 1 month ago (may be because I only indicated that my father has been retired a couple years ago)

Stay Positive

Post by Stay Positive » Mon, 29 Jul 2019 2:47 pm

Hi all,

My application was submitted last year May 15.
Status still show is PENDING..

Hope for the good luck....

throwawayaccount

Post by throwawayaccount » Mon, 19 Aug 2019 3:34 pm

Hi all,

My 3rd PR application just got rejected after 8 months. I don't think there is anything else I can do to improve my chances, so I am probably done with seeking a PR in SG. Good luck to you all in your applications.

My profile for reference:
Age/Sex: 27M Single
Ethnicity: Other asian (non-chinese, non-malay, non-indian) - can't change my race, oh well...
Salary: around SGD 160k, including bonus and pension
Education: non-singapore bachelor
Time in SG: 6.5 years working since 21yo, 5 tax assessments already..

honeycarey

Post by honeycarey » Mon, 19 Aug 2019 3:35 pm

throwawayaccount wrote:Hi all,

My 3rd PR application just got rejected after 8 months. I don't think there is anything else I can do to improve my chances, so I am probably done with seeking a PR in SG. Good luck to you all in your applications.

Ethnicity: Other asian (non-chinese, non-malay, non-indian) - can't change my race, oh well...
If I may ask, which country do you come from? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 19 Aug 2019 4:17 pm

throwawayaccount wrote:
Mon, 19 Aug 2019 3:34 pm
Hi all,

What is your exact role and job scope?

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigginHill » Mon, 19 Aug 2019 5:50 pm

throwawayaccount wrote:
Mon, 19 Aug 2019 3:34 pm
Prime age group, strong salary, Asian, 6½ years in SG...(being single is a negative though)

SG is highly streamlined for qualified people to work here for 1-5 year periods. But there are no policies addressing long term or indefinite (+5 years) EP holders, unlike other countries with period based residency criteria.

One can't help wonder if turning qualified long term EP holders away is good for SG in the long run...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Aug 2019 6:09 pm

The philosophy there is pretty obvious I think. EP holders are here to train locals to do their jobs. They are disposable. After 2 or 3 years, an EP holder should have had a enough time to decide if he wants to stay here permanently or not. However, a lot do not make the jump due to crappy employers who, when an employee converts, tries to take the employers CPF out of the renegotiated contract thereby not costing the employer anything (if converting from an EP). Also, the EP holder may lose their housing & transport allowances as well. Lot's of reasons not to take up PR now. Others don't want to tie up a large chunk of their current take home salary into CPF contributions that will be locked up for donkeys years until the give up their PR. In fact, I don't recommend PR at all any more as it used to be a stepping stone to SGC but not now. Too many have taken up PR and been denied SGC over and over. Add to that, you've lost most of the subsidies that PRs used to have. I know. I've been a PR for over a quarter of a century.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigginHill » Mon, 19 Aug 2019 6:17 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 19 Aug 2019 6:09 pm
In fact, I don't recommend PR at all any more
That's actually my recommendation as well.

Unless you're in the preferred category, just keep working on EP & don't apply PR. Getting pointlessly slapped with a PR rejection x number of times just sours what would otherwise have been a completely satisfactory long term living & working arrangement in SG...

By the way, rejecting long term EP holders for PR is likely hurting some industries in SG; I do know of senior directors ending up leaving in frustration, which again can't be good for business.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Aug 2019 7:18 pm

Well, mixed feelings there. I've been an HR Mgr and a Headhunter previous to that together spanning 25 years. I find that "Directors" which to me is a misnomer anyway, Sr or otherwise, are always ready to jump ship for an increment of 30K (once they break the 250K/pa barrier). These guys usually have been parachuted in and will leave at the smell of money and usually have no intention of "settling down" in Singapore unless this is their last posting. Therefore the ICA doesn't want them as they are not SGC material, So why give them PR? Just so they can buy property to flip and then be on their way? Yeah, I agree it sucks for those who actually love Singapore but pragmatic the county is and alway will be.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigginHill » Mon, 19 Aug 2019 7:22 pm

Mon, 19 Aug 2019 7:18 pm
Yeah, I agree it sucks for those who actually love Singapore but pragmatic the county is and alway will be.
Amen! :D

throwawayaccount

Post by throwawayaccount » Mon, 19 Aug 2019 9:22 pm

BigginHill wrote:
Mon, 19 Aug 2019 6:17 pm
Unless you're in the preferred category, just keep working on EP & don't apply PR. Getting pointlessly slapped with a PR rejection x number of times just sours what would otherwise have been a completely satisfactory long term living & working arrangement in SG...
I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. I spent all my twenties here, love the country and would like to stay here long-term since it is closer to my home country compared to other immigrant-friendly countries (Australia, Canada etc..). However, getting rejected over and over again makes me bitter. And seeing malaysian chinese females, who are older than me, with SGD 2.5-3k salary and less work experience in Singapore get almost guaranteed PRs feels like rubbing salt into my wounds.

Since gahmen don't want me here, I will probably leave Singapore in near future for grad studies and then move somewhere else where I will feel more welcome. Also i'll recommend my friends to not bother with PR applications unless they are ethnically Chinese.
honeycarey wrote:
Mon, 19 Aug 2019 3:35 pm
If I may ask, which country do you come from? Just curious.
I'm from a very small and exotic country and if i tell where I am from, my friends will probably recognise me. I will just say if you see me in real life, you won't be able to tell i'm a foreigner.
singaporeflyer wrote:
Mon, 19 Aug 2019 4:17 pm
What is your exact role and job scope?
I work for a traditional multinational/conglomerate doing price and contract negotiations. Non-IT and non-finance.
BigginHill wrote:
Mon, 19 Aug 2019 5:50 pm
being single is a negative though
Yeah, but I am still young and not many people my age are married or have kids. I am not sure getting married just for PR will be wise idea. Hope they didn't take my relationship status against me, then again they base their decisions on race :lol:

preethipaul

Post by preethipaul » Wed, 04 Sep 2019 5:45 pm

Thu, 08 Mar 2018 12:19 pm
The only pattern you are seeing is visions of lollipops dancing in your head. There are no patterns that are discernible. We've been looking for them since 2004 when this site started. Any patterns you might discern with be a direct result of whatever it is your are smoking or snorting. Good Luck if it makes you feel better though. :roll:
anyways thanks for your advise. let's always hope best bro. cheers.

timmz88

Post by timmz88 » Thu, 14 Nov 2019 8:51 pm

verovero wrote:
Mon, 22 Jul 2019 5:00 pm
Just to update~

still pending, almost 13 months, and requested to provide additional document of the previous working experience of parents and parents-in-law about 1 month ago (may be because I only indicated that my father has been retired a couple years ago)
Have you heard back????

verovero

Post by verovero » Mon, 25 Nov 2019 5:49 pm

timmz88 wrote:
Thu, 14 Nov 2019 8:51 pm
verovero wrote:
Mon, 22 Jul 2019 5:00 pm
Just to update~

Have you heard back????
yes, just checked today. approved for whole family! :D