Singapore Expats

Can I be exempted from NS?

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
h2oreos

Can I be exempted from NS?

Post by h2oreos » Fri, 08 Feb 2019 8:25 pm

Hello,

I am currently 15, turning 16 at the end of march. I wasn’t born in Singapore but I have PR status. I am currently studying in a private school and I finish sometime in June, after which I plan to leave Singapore and cancel my PR status.

As far as I know, I only need to register once I am 16 and a half, so does that mean if I cancel my PR status before September I am legally exempted from NS?

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: Can I be exempted from NS?

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 08 Feb 2019 10:06 pm

h2oreos wrote:Hello,

I am currently 15, turning 16 at the end of march. I wasn’t born in Singapore but I have PR status. I am currently studying in a private school and I finish sometime in June, after which I plan to leave Singapore and cancel my PR status.

As far as I know, I only need to register once I am 16 and a half, so does that mean if I cancel my PR status before September I am legally exempted from NS?
Did you get PR under your parent's sponsorship?

h2oreos

Post by h2oreos » Fri, 08 Feb 2019 10:47 pm

singaporeflyer wrote: Did you get PR under your parent's sponsorship?
Im not really sure what this means?

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Sat, 09 Feb 2019 9:51 am

h2oreos wrote:Im not really sure what this means?
SF is asking how did you obtain your PR status? Is it through your parent’s sponsorship? I.e. making you a 2nd generation PR.

h2oreos

Post by h2oreos » Sat, 09 Feb 2019 10:38 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:
h2oreos wrote:Im not really sure what this means?
SF is asking how did you obtain your PR status? Is it through your parent’s sponsorship? I.e. making you a 2nd generation PR.
I think so yeah.

jimmy.sanchez

Post by jimmy.sanchez » Mon, 01 Jul 2019 1:55 am

Parent sponsorship doesn't matter. As long as get PR before 18, need to do NS.

Eg. when I was in school, back when policy was lax, some of those who come to study and live with "foster" families got PR with invitation letter from ICA, still need to do NS.

You can cancel any time, even half way through NS, and be legally exempted. Which is why many Singaporeans are angry. Just make sure you have a good country to move on to.

Eg. I know someone during JC, born in USA. Cancelled PR after A-levels, went to Harvard. Another person PR cancelled halfway through NS vocational school, went to UK for university.

NS is a major commitment. Personally I think that in order for a PR to commit to NS, there should at least be a guarantee of accelerated citizenship. Without such a guarantee, one's immigration status is basically in limbo, similar to the DACA situation in the US.

Forest 123

Post by Forest 123 » Mon, 01 Jul 2019 9:03 am

My son is 11yr old PR under my sponsorship but has never studied or stay in SG as we stay in JB. My PR is due for renewal next year and I plan not to renew his PR. Will he get enlistment letter for NS when he reach 16.5 or 17 year old?

Forest 123

Post by Forest 123 » Mon, 01 Jul 2019 9:03 am

My son is 11yr old PR under my sponsorship but has never studied or stay in SG as we stay in JB. My PR is due for renewal next year and I plan not to renew his PR. Will he get enlistment letter for NS when he reach 16.5 or 17 year old?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 01 Jul 2019 12:38 pm

Forest 123 wrote:
Mon, 01 Jul 2019 9:03 am
You should inform CMPB of your intention of this. They will help navigate so you don't get an enlistment letter. At that age and not having received any socioeconomic benefits it should be ok.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 01 Jul 2019 12:55 pm

I wouldn't count on it. The fact that they are not living in Singapore and he isn't schooling in Singapore I believe will not make any difference as while they technically haven't enjoyed the socio-economic benefits of being a PR, it WAS afforded to them for the whole period that they held the blue NRICs. That alone will constitute enjoying the socio-economic benefits of Singapore. I believe he will get a letter from NS and I believe he will have to serve as otherwise that creates a bad precedence and then all PR's with male offspring will move to Johore and go to foreign schools but still hold PR. Add the fact that the parent is keeping their PR it's kind of obvious what is happening.

Nah, he's gonna do NS (or his parents re-entry permit will not be renewed) - this was in the news again in the past couple of days saying this exact thing about not renewing the parents Reentry permits - As the son is sponsored by the parents, his has to be renewed at the same time. If it's not included, it's likely the parents could have their renewal rejected at the same time. Good Luck.

http://everything.explained.today/Natio ... Singapore/

"In the Singapore Parliament on 5 August 2014, the Minister of Defence stated that, according to records, no such persons have been granted reinstatement of permanent residence or citizenship. He added that the policy has been progressively tightened recently such that no NS-liable permanent resident who has renounced his permanent resident status in the last decade has been granted approval for work or study. For former permanent residents who fail to serve NS, any immediate or future applications including the renewal of their parents' and inclusive of immediate family members' Re-Entry Permits will be adversely affected, including curtailment of the Re-Entry Permit."
PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 01 Jul 2019 12:38 pm
Forest 123 wrote:
Mon, 01 Jul 2019 9:03 am
You should inform CMPB of your intention of this. They will help navigate so you don't get an enlistment letter. At that age and not having received any socioeconomic benefits it should be ok.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Forest 123

Post by Forest 123 » Mon, 01 Jul 2019 1:44 pm

If I leave Sg for good since I don't get my PR renewal approval when I don't include my son REP renewal with me. So what will be the consequences for my son in NS enlistment? Does he still need to serve NS? He is 11 year old and do not have Sg Blue IC.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 01 Jul 2019 3:49 pm

He won't have to serve NS but there maybe future issues if he wants to live and work in Singapore as an adult later on.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 01 Jul 2019 3:53 pm

As he is only 11 years old, if the whole family gives up their PR, then I don't think he will have any problems. Once he turns 13, they've got him. And you'd be stuck with applying for exit permits and/or bonds etc,. I'm sure you can see how it would look if the male son who was coming to the age of being liable for NS give up the PR but the parents don't. With a little more foresight/knowledge of National Service for male children of PRs, you should have never gotten him PR, but kept him on a renewable LTVP if he was pre-school and then put on a student visa - never would have been an issue however, as soon as he got PR, the hooks into the whole family were set and now it is a rough way to find out.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Liquorice

Post by Liquorice » Fri, 01 May 2020 4:00 pm

Actually this whole ''2nd generation PR needs to serve NS'' is a big con by the Singapore govt.
Here's why:
1. The Singapore govt often hints that its neighbourhood is not the most secure (i.e. Malaysia and Indonesia are not good neighbours and have threatened to cut off the water/gas supply). Therefore, the govt rhetoric is that Singapore needs a large, modern army. Thus the need for NS and reservist training after that. If this were the case, why does Singapore call up PRs for NS, many of whom are Malaysian and Indonesian citizens? Is it relying on the fact that these Malaysians and Indonesians are not bumiputra/pribumi, and therefore have more loyalty towards Singapore than their own countries? Most of the Malaysian and Indonesian Chinese I grew up with in Singapore still love their own coutnries more than Singapore, despite not being bumiputra/pribumi. Can you imagine the Taiwanese govt asking Taiwan PRs with mainland Chinese citizenship to do Taiwanese NS? The idea is preposterous!;
2. Even if one serves Singapore NS with the aim of getting Singapore citizenship afterwards, there is no guarantee of success. Admittedly, the majority of applicants are successful, but some are not. Imagine givng 2 years of your life to a country, and its govt not even granting you citizenship. Talk about gratitude!;
3. If one serves Singapore NS without the intention of taking up citizenship, then the least you can expect is a more 'permanent' version of the PR, you would think. You would be wrong. After serving your NS, you would still need to apply for Exit Permits regularly, with the risk that if these are not renewed, you would lose your PR status. You will be treated like a 1st generation PR- the only difference being that you would be called up for reservist duty every year until your 40s. On top of this, you would not receive the same subsidy (HDB/education/healthcare) as Singapore citizens who have done NS, even though you would have served exactly the same NS duration as them;

Given the above- it is no wonder tha the % of 'NS renouncers' amongst PRs is going up. The quality of life delta between India/China/Indonesia/Malaysia and Singapore is now smaller than in the past. Apart from family reasons, there is not much upside to staying in Singapore and serving NS.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 01 May 2020 5:22 pm

2. Even if one serves Singapore NS with the aim of getting Singapore citizenship afterwards, there is no guarantee of success. Admittedly, the majority of applicants are successful, but some are not. Imagine givng 2 years of your life to a country, and its govt not even granting you citizenship. Talk about gratitude!;
So, if the guy served NS but was a general screw-up, why would the SG Gov't want him as a citizen? Cannon Fodder is one thing, but to have to potentially be "required" to give him citizenship JUST because he did NS, would be preposterous from a government's point of view. Why take him out of the military and potentially have to pay for his upkeep in Jail for who knows what. By the time he does 21~23 months of NS, they will already know what kind of asset or dickhead he is. A little common sense might be in order here.

Additionally, nobody is forcing anybody to take up PR. Permanent or semi-permanent. You weigh the personal pros and cons and you make your decision. Sadly, however, it's the parents who generally shaft the child before the child even has a clue to what is going on. That why we always say, don't blame the government, blame your parents as they are the ones who get you into the predicament because of what THEY want and without thinking about the child's dilemma later.