Singapore Expats Forum

How difficult is the Basic Theory Test (BTT)?

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
Trnql

How difficult is the Basic Theory Test (BTT)?

Postby Trnql » Mon, 10 Jun 2019 4:30 pm

Hey all,

I've been here 4 years+ now finally at a point where driving a car in Singapore might become a possibility however I've been putting off converting my license due to this pesky BTT. I hold an active Australian license, so I'm wondering if anyone who has done the test would know if I actually need to prepare for this exam or I can just waltz in and take the test?

Cheers guys!

Strong Eagle

Re: How difficult is the Basic Theory Test (BTT)?

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 10 Jun 2019 9:13 pm

First, you are supposed to get this conversion done within one year of arrival, so you _may_ find that you will need to take the entire driving license training, which you will be lucky to complete in six months. However, others who have delayed in their conversion have appealed and been successful, and that is the first track you should follow.

You had better prepare for the exam by reading the relatively complete and useful test guide. If you do not, you will almost certainly fail, as the test contains number specific questions (distances, speeds, etc), "trick" questions that you can only answer if you've read the "trick" in the test guide, and you can only miss a handful of questions before you fail.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Re: How difficult is the Basic Theory Test (BTT)?

Postby The Ref » Wed, 12 Jun 2019 9:50 am

Do you know the Alcohol Breath limits? Or the times for the bus lanes, or who is allowed on an express way?
If you know all these things you can probably pass without study but I bet you dont :)

As to the conversion, you are not allowed to drive here if you have been on a pass for over a year - BUT you can convert at a time longert then this. I converted after about 26 months but I didnt drive. I dont know if there is a maximum time to convert, but if you do have to do the training again it takes many months to get through (conversion is the only shortcut) so hope you are lucky.