Singapore Expats

prospects for CFA charter holders?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
quinnb

prospects for CFA charter holders?

Post by quinnb » Sun, 05 May 2019 5:21 am

Hello, I'm an American considering moving to Singapore within several years. I have a master's degree in finance from an elite university and two years of experience. I've passed Level I of the CFA exam and was wondering whether it is worth my while to pass the remaining two levels in terms of improving my likelihood of getting an Employment Pass-qualifying job. The Ministry of Manpower's Self-Assessment tool said that I would likely qualify for an EP but that says nothing about my prospects of actually getting hired.

Wong_Jnr
Regular
Regular

Re: prospects for CFA charter holders?

Post by Wong_Jnr » Mon, 06 May 2019 10:30 am

quinnb wrote: but that says nothing about my prospects of actually getting hired.
Not to put a dampener on your ambitions but you'll have zero to nil chance of finding a job here with your credentials. You've got too common qualifications and minimal experience and they'll be a queue of just as talented (if not more) locals and expats already here.

My advice to you is to find employment in the US with a global company with presence in Singapore and then work on your career there with the aim to get transferred abroad.

A majority of those who have moved to Singapore are transferred with their existing companies.

quinnb

Re: prospects for CFA charter holders?

Post by quinnb » Mon, 06 May 2019 9:15 pm

Thank you. That was the impression I got from browsing other threads but wanted to confirm for myself specifically.