Singapore Expats Forum

Citizenship Rejected (Appeal or Re-Apply) - Advice

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Vulcan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 2:17 pm

Citizenship Rejected (Appeal or Re-Apply) - Advice

Post by Vulcan » Wed, 17 Apr 2019 5:18 pm

Hi All,

My application for Citizenship has been rejected recently. I would like to know, if we can appeal after rejection and what is the procedure for it ?

Online Submission Mar2018
Document Submission: Aug2018
Application Rejected: Mar2019

Here is my profile.
Male , Age: 41
Applied as whole Family of 4 (Indian family in PR status for past 12 years in Singapore)
Job profile: Leadership role in MNC
Family: Spouse working in IT & 2 Kids (Both Girls) studying in public/local school
Annual Income above 240K+
Education : Masters (Engg) - Full time from US, Spouse Bachelors (Engg) + Local Poly Specialist Diploma
Length of stay in Singapore : 12+ years.
Own apartment in private housing
Worked in Grassroot level for 4+ years.

I do understand granting of citizenship is based on several factors, if you have any suggestion for any improvements kindly share. Also is it worth to re-apply again ? Please suggest your inputs.

Thanks,

homecleaner
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 7:52 pm

Re: Citizenship Rejected (Appeal or Re-Apply) - Advice

Post by homecleaner » Wed, 17 Apr 2019 8:18 pm

Ask your member of parliament for help.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 36010
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Citizenship Rejected (Appeal or Re-Apply) - Advice

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Apr 2019 9:32 pm

He doesn't have a member of parliament as he's only a EP holder. Anyway, even if he was able to get a letter written by an MP, it wouldn't make any difference as they have absolutely no power when it comes to ICA. They take their order from a higher authority.

Vulcan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 2:17 pm

Re: Citizenship Rejected (Appeal or Re-Apply) - Advice

Post by Vulcan » Wed, 17 Apr 2019 9:54 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:He doesn't have a member of parliament as he's only a EP holder. Anyway, even if he was able to get a letter written by an MP, it wouldn't make any difference as they have absolutely no power when it comes to ICA. They take their order from a higher authority.
I am not a EP holder but a PR for past 12+ years. Also I would not go to MP for such request and It is not fair to ask such letters. Agree with you ICA is final decision authority.

Any advice on how to appeal or what factor could have impacted my application ? Pls share your experiences.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1874
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: Citizenship Rejected (Appeal or Re-Apply) - Advice

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 17 Apr 2019 11:43 pm

Vulcan wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:He doesn't have a member of parliament as he's only a EP holder. Anyway, even if he was able to get a letter written by an MP, it wouldn't make any difference as they have absolutely no power when it comes to ICA. They take their order from a higher authority.
I am not a EP holder but a PR for past 12+ years. Also I would not go to MP for such request and It is not fair to ask such letters. Agree with you ICA is final decision authority.

Any advice on how to appeal or what factor could have impacted my application ? Pls share your experiences.
Length of stay in Singapore and PR length = 12 years? You got your PR immediately after you arrived.

Appeals do not help at all, unless you have missed to declare or show something very significant during your application

Are you still in grassroots?

Looks like you have to wait for a couple of years and reapply.

what is your exact role? that will offer some clue. Example: If it is marketing/sales, it is not going to be considered great.

Annual income - 240K. It is not clear if that is your annual income or your combined family income.

Own apartment in private/public housing does not add any value to the application.

You have not clearly described details here..

therat
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 555
Joined: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 2:23 pm

Re: Citizenship Rejected (Appeal or Re-Apply) - Advice

Post by therat » Thu, 18 Apr 2019 8:20 am

During 2007 time, EP apply for PR after 3 mth in Singapore and got in within few month.
My ex colleague got PR for his whole family within 6 mth in Singapore. 1.5 yrs later migrated to USA

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Vulcan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 2:17 pm

Re: Citizenship Rejected (Appeal or Re-Apply) - Advice

Post by Vulcan » Thu, 18 Apr 2019 9:39 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Vulcan wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:He doesn't have a member of parliament as he's only a EP holder. Anyway, even if he was able to get a letter written by an MP, it wouldn't make any difference as they have absolutely no power when it comes to ICA. They take their order from a higher authority.
I am not a EP holder but a PR for past 12+ years. Also I would not go to MP for such request and It is not fair to ask such letters. Agree with you ICA is final decision authority.

Any advice on how to appeal or what factor could have impacted my application ? Pls share your experiences.
Length of stay in Singapore and PR length = 12 years? You got your PR immediately after you arrived.

- Answer: My PR approved after a year. I was referring only my Stay in Singapore as PR for 12 years. and 2+ years as EP before that. So total = 14.

Appeals do not help at all, unless you have missed to declare or show something very significant during your application

Are you still in grassroots?
- Answer: Yes I am

Looks like you have to wait for a couple of years and reapply.


what is your exact role? that will offer some clue. Example: If it is marketing/sales, it is not going to be considered great.

- Answer: My role is Senior Engineering manager for TechGaint company that makes in Consumer products

Annual income - 240K. It is not clear if that is your annual income or your combined family income.

- Answer: No, it is not combined.

Own apartment in private/public housing does not add any value to the application.

- Answer: Understand your point, Thanks.

You have not clearly described details here..

worldcitizen
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri, 18 May 2018 10:18 am

Re: Citizenship Rejected (Appeal or Re-Apply) - Advice

Post by worldcitizen » Thu, 18 Apr 2019 10:47 am

Appeal - Existing wisdom says (and I tend to agree) it doesn't work. But no harm trying as the new application process is expected to take a few years more.
Recommendation letters / Grass Roots - Honestly, these won't work and it's just a matter of coincidence if anyone says it did IMHO.

Vulcan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 2:17 pm

Re: Citizenship Rejected (Appeal or Re-Apply) - Advice

Post by Vulcan » Thu, 18 Apr 2019 11:08 am

worldcitizen wrote:Appeal - Existing wisdom says (and I tend to agree) it doesn't work. But no harm trying as the new application process is expected to take a few years more.
Recommendation letters / Grass Roots - Honestly, these won't work and it's just a matter of coincidence if anyone says it did IMHO.
Thanks for your opinion. So seems appeal is not the way to go.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1874
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: Citizenship Rejected (Appeal or Re-Apply) - Advice

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 18 Apr 2019 2:15 pm

worldcitizen wrote:Appeal - Existing wisdom says (and I tend to agree) it doesn't work. But no harm trying as the new application process is expected to take a few years more.
On what grounds will he appeal?

worldcitizen
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri, 18 May 2018 10:18 am

Re: Citizenship Rejected (Appeal or Re-Apply) - Advice

Post by worldcitizen » Thu, 18 Apr 2019 3:45 pm

None :). Personally, I think it's useless but saw a couple of successful cases without any improvement or changes in their situation. It's a calculated risk of waiting few months with appeal vs few years with a new application. End of the day it's up to OP and all I can say is good luck.

freddykeat
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat, 28 Jul 2018 8:05 pm

Re: Citizenship Rejected (Appeal or Re-Apply) - Advice

Post by freddykeat » Thu, 18 Apr 2019 9:41 pm

Hey OP,

I have the similar encounter for my citizenship application with an appeal, ICA allocated a new appointment for me to resubmit my application after 6 months and after the application submitted, I have waited for 9 months and I got a good news from ICA.

I would suggest you to go for the appeal and provide good reason why they should reconsider your citizenship application. Despite the chances is not high but at least we have tried and if you are not the lucky one then do it again after 2 years.

If you never try, it will never happen. The authority hold the decision making and the opportunity is on our hand. We should maximize our opportunity without any doubts.

Good luck.

worldcitizen
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri, 18 May 2018 10:18 am

Re: Citizenship Rejected (Appeal or Re-Apply) - Advice

Post by worldcitizen » Fri, 19 Apr 2019 9:31 am

Congrats. Came across similar experiences (i.e. Succesful appeals)recently and guess only ICA knows why they changed their mind.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1874
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: Citizenship Rejected (Appeal or Re-Apply) - Advice

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 19 Apr 2019 8:09 pm

freddykeat wrote:Hey OP,

I have the similar encounter for my citizenship application with an appeal, ICA allocated a new appointment for me to resubmit my application after 6 months and after the application submitted, I have waited for 9 months and I got a good news from ICA.

I would suggest you to go for the appeal and provide good reason why they should reconsider your citizenship application. Despite the chances is not high but at least we have tried and if you are not the lucky one then do it again after 2 years.

If you never try, it will never happen. The authority hold the decision making and the opportunity is on our hand. We should maximize our opportunity without any doubts.

Good luck.
Guess you are from Malaysia right? That is considered a good advantage, whereas OP is from India.

freddykeat
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat, 28 Jul 2018 8:05 pm

Re: Citizenship Rejected (Appeal or Re-Apply) - Advice

Post by freddykeat » Mon, 22 Apr 2019 1:24 pm

Yes, I am from Malaysia.

Post Reply


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron