Singapore Expats

Staying in SG after EP expires

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
duluoz1

Staying in SG after EP expires

Post by duluoz1 » Fri, 12 Apr 2019 3:12 pm

Hi all. Looking for some visa advice here. I'm British, and have been working on Singapore for just over 3 years on an EP, living here with my wife and kids who are on DPs.

I'm starting a job in Australia in a few months. My EP runs out next month, and will be converted to a short term visit pass for 30 days. Ideally I'd like to stay in Singapore until moving to Australia to work, but this is approx 2.5 months after my short term visit expires.

Is there a legal way of extending my stay in Singapore to cover this period? I don't want to take any risks doing 'visa runs' etc if there's a chance of getting in trouble with the ICA.

Thanks all

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Staying in SG after EP expires

Post by martincymru » Fri, 12 Apr 2019 4:00 pm

I do not foresee any problems except perhaps if your "visa runs" are in/out same day which may raise a red flag.

duluoz1

Post by duluoz1 » Fri, 12 Apr 2019 5:49 pm

Thanks Martin. Would I get another 30 days for each run? In that case I'd only need to do it twice, and they'd be genuine trips around the region.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 13 Apr 2019 12:21 am

If you are British, you should only have to leave for a couple of day (5? maybe) and then come back. I believe the UK is on the visa waiver program, so you should get a full 90 days when you come back in, instead of only 30. That should just about sort you out, yeah? Check with the British High Com or wait for someone here with British Citizenship to verify. (I'm US and I'm pretty sure the UK also gets 90 days.)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

duluoz1

Post by duluoz1 » Mon, 15 Apr 2019 9:19 am

Thanks - yes 90 days would cover us until we have to leave. I'll check with the High Com - appreciate your reply.