Singapore Expats

Finding work for DP holder (why it is hard?)

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
samgeh123

Finding work for DP holder (why it is hard?)

Post by samgeh123 » Wed, 03 Apr 2019 10:34 pm

Hi all,

Got to know that finding work for DP holder is bit tough. All the recruiters and opportunities are looking for PR and citizens. Thought that getting a DP holder is not that hard considering EP or SP as HR doesn’t need to care about quota/levy or any and just need to apply for a LOC. Still why this is not preferred much?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Finding work for DP holder (why it is hard?)

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Apr 2019 1:10 am

The main reason is if the sponsor loses their EP, the the employer of the LoC holder loses their employee as well. So it's a bit of a gamble for the employer to spend money and time training a person who might lose their LoC through no fault of their own but the fault of the sponsor or sponsor's employer.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

samgeh123

Post by samgeh123 » Thu, 04 Apr 2019 9:21 am

I see I see. Thank you so much @sundaymorningstaple :)

usman_s4u10

Post by usman_s4u10 » Mon, 06 May 2019 3:07 pm

If i move to SG after marrying a SC. How hard would it be find employment as DP holder under PLOC (Its a new form of LOC does not require employment offer and employer does not need to do anything to hire the person like levy etc).

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 May 2019 4:02 pm

usman_s4u10 wrote:If i move to SG after marrying a SC. How hard would it be find employment as DP holder under PLOC (Its a new form of LOC does not require employment offer and employer does not need to do anything to hire the person like levy etc).
First of all, after marrying a SG citizen, you are no longer qualified to have a Dependent's Pass.

https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permi ... ligibility

After you are legally married you will need to apply for a Long Term Visit Pass (or LTVP/LTVP+) The plus is normally given to Foreign Spouses of SG citizens. When eligible foreigners apply for, or renew their LTVP/LTVP+ with ICA, they will be given an option to apply for a PLOC at the same time.

It should be relatively easy to find employment with the new PLOC as it is not dependent on a spouse's employment. However, you will need to become well versed with the ins and outs of the PLOC as you will have to sell it to any employer you are interviewed by as most know little about the normal LOC and you can be sure they will not know anything at all about the PLOC. This is a huge break for the foreign spouse as it should be an easy sell to an employer as they no longer have to worry about training and then losing staff (or at least losing them for lack of sponsorship).

However, you still may have some problems as employers are wise to the ways of 3rd world foreign spouses who have a strong tendency to immediately quit their jobs as soon as they get some type of permanent residency like PR. This especially for males who marry local girls with the specific intention to use them for entrance to Singapore. In fact, it may be hard, depending on where you are from, to even get an LTVP as your countrymen have preceded you and have generally crapped in your nest before you got here. Employers don't like to get burned and ICA is well aware of it.
Good Luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers