Singapore Expats

issue with guide licence

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
little chicken

issue with guide licence

Post by little chicken » Wed, 27 Mar 2019 2:25 pm

Hello

My friend has been arrested when he was helping a small group of persons around Singapore, without a proper guide license. He is super stressed and is wondering what is going to happen - already got one hearing....
He is also worried for his spouse EP renewal: do you know whether there is any risk for the spouse's EP not to be renewed because of his action?
Any advice?
Many thanks

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: issue with guide licence

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 27 Mar 2019 6:15 pm

This is a first. How unofficial was this group? Did they pay him in money or kind? Did they run around following a flag carrying guy with a loud hailer?

Intent will be part of his defense. I'd hire a solicitor myself.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 27 Mar 2019 10:04 pm

So... someone on DP is freelancing as a guide in Singapore? Two problems: Working for money on a DP without a Letter of Consent. And guiding without a license. Of the two working without a LOC sounds like the more serious offense to me. What specifically are the charges for which your friend has been arrested?

little chicken

Post by little chicken » Thu, 28 Mar 2019 8:58 am

Hello- thanks for your answer. The offense was guiding without a license - no mention was made about LOC. But wife is freaking out about her own EP renewal.

No flag, no shouting, small group of 5 persons, he knew one of the persons there from previous life, he got a tip at the end (less than 100).

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 28 Mar 2019 10:36 am

He needs professional qualified legal advice from a solicitor. There is a fairly hefty fine ($5,000) from my reading. Also if the fine is not compounded this would lead to a criminal record AFAIK. I think once again his intent is the problem as well as receiving remuneration. Taking your family around for example (and obviously not being paid and perhaps providing them dinner etc) as an expat would not likely attract a fine but taking a group of strangers and one individual you may know around looks close to intending to act as a guide, esp as money was received.

little chicken

Post by little chicken » Thu, 28 Mar 2019 11:27 am

Thanks a lot for your answer - that looks really serious for a short journey in Singapore!
Would you have a name of solicitor?

Also what does it mean for the wife's EP?

Thanks

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 28 Mar 2019 11:50 am

little chicken wrote:Thanks a lot for your answer - that looks really serious for a short journey in Singapore!
Would you have a name of solicitor?

Also what does it mean for the wife's EP?

Thanks
I'm inclined to agree with PNGMK that professional help might be needed. There is not enough information to fully understand what transpired. What seems odd is this.

a) How did he manage to attract the attention of anyone when the entire group size was six? Families and couples vacationing together create groups this large without raising suspicions.

b) How was it determined that he received compensation for his services? I mean, if I hand you 50 or a 100 dollars on the street, no one is going to walk up and accuse you of guiding me around illegally... unless something else happened. I could be handing you money to go buy Tiger beers.

c) Who was it that saw your friend allegedly guiding, how did they know it was guiding, and how did they know he was compensated for the alleged guiding?

These are the questions that are confusing to me. Many times I have brought half a dozen or more foreign friends to see the sights of Singapore. We've walked around, I've talked about the buildings, and the history... and never once did I get whacked.

So... what makes this different? What transpired that he got whacked? If it's a simple misunderstanding then perhaps no lawyer is necessary. More complicated? Then more help may be needed.

As to impact on EP: I don't think any impact on EP at all... she has done nothing wrong. At the very most, the DP could be revoked which means he would have to leave the country. But, that's only a possibility and would occur only after the guiding case is fully resolved.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 28 Mar 2019 12:30 pm

You may contact the Singapore Law Society for referrals to solicitors. It's not at all appropriate for me to recommend a barrister or solicitor as a layman.