Singapore Expats

Help needed! For Re-Entry Permit (Renewal) under Spouse Scheme

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Pandora999

Help needed! For Re-Entry Permit (Renewal) under Spouse Scheme

Post by Pandora999 » Wed, 06 Mar 2019 11:12 pm

Hi all! Advice needed badly regarding re-entry renewal.

I am a PR that stay in singapore since 2012. I was granted PR under the Spouse Scheme. But my husband and i gotten a divorce in late 2017. My old re-entry permit was due on the may 2019. As i went to renew it recently, i was given a renewal of 1 year only, instead of the previous 5 years. I am employed in the F&B industry all along these years while being here. I contribute to cpf and income tax as well.

So my questions is

1) Any reason of why only 1 year is given? Is it because of my divorce issue?
2) What can i do to increase it back to 5 years?
3) If i marry a singaporean within this 1 year, will that increase the chances back to 5 years on the next renewal?
4) If i am not gonna remarry soon and settle down again yet (but i know i will be), and i want and will be continue working here in sg. Will the next renewal of REP be rejected? I more worry at this point. :(

Below are some of my basic info, hope it helps thanks in advance!

- Female, working in the F&B industry as a tea bartender since 2012 (about 7 years)
- Gross Salary is about $2900 a month
- Been contributing to cpf and tax income all along
- Current age ; 26
- PR was granted under spouse scheme
- No kids

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Help needed! For Re-Entry Permit (Renewal) under Spouse Scheme

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Mar 2019 11:58 pm

Basically, you were given one year to enable you to have the chance to upgrade yourself so you met the minimum requirements for PR. If your salary is only $2900, you are not likely to be able to get a new re-entry permit. You will be allowed to keep your PR as long as you stay IN Singapore, but the moment you step out of the country, you will lose your PR permanently as you will no longer have a re-entry permit. You spouse was your anchor, without that, you do not qualify for PR. Sorry for the bummer post, but it is was it is.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Pandora999

Post by Pandora999 » Thu, 07 Mar 2019 12:27 am

What if i were to remarry to an another singaporean within this one year period, and provide the marriage certificate by the next renewal? Will that changes anything?

Pandora999

Post by Pandora999 » Thu, 07 Mar 2019 12:30 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Basically, you were given one year to enable you to have the chance to upgrade yourself so you met the minimum requirements for PR. If your salary is only $2900, you are not likely to be able to get a new re-entry permit. You will be allowed to keep your PR as long as you stay IN Singapore, but the moment you step out of the country, you will lose your PR permanently as you will no longer have a re-entry permit. You spouse was your anchor, without that, you do not qualify for PR. Sorry for the bummer post, but it is was it is.
Thanks for the info

Then what if i were to remarry to an another singaporean within this one year period, and provide the marriage certificate by the next renewal? Will that changes anything?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Mar 2019 1:08 pm

Possibly. But it remains to be seen how ICA will view it. e.g., marriage of convenience?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Pandora999

Post by Pandora999 » Thu, 07 Mar 2019 1:55 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Possibly. But it remains to be seen how ICA will view it. e.g., marriage of convenience?
Nope. My bf and i were together right after the divorce in 2017 and were having marriage in mind before all this happen. Thats actually what he suggested to me. Do you happen to know how high is the chances gonna be? Or if there is anyway to transfer the sponsorship from my ex?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Mar 2019 2:23 pm

No idea. Cannot transfer sponsorship as the new spouse will have to qualify as a sponsor on his own merits.

sheshen

Post by sheshen » Thu, 07 Mar 2019 4:27 pm

All my friends who get 1 year re-entry extended, they get another 5 years on next extend. Something like ICA want to observe your intention to stay in Singapore or no after 1 year.

Of course upgrade your skill/work/salary will help.
:-"

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 07 Mar 2019 5:16 pm

I think SheShen has it right.... Divorce is an upsetting thing for some people so why give 5 if they're going to quit.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!