Singapore Expats

NEED ONWARD TICKET (SINGAPORE)?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

NEED ONWARD TICKET (SINGAPORE)?

Post by martincymru » Tue, 26 Feb 2019 1:45 pm

Is onward ticket required when arriving in Singapore by air?

If yes, then does this rule apply irrespective of nationality?

Will the departure airport staff (at check in) forbid you to fly to Singapore if don't have onward ticket? Different countries have different rules?

Anyone been asked by immigration in Singapore for onward ticket? If so what happened when you said "don't have"?

(tourist visa)

Todtiny

Re: NEED ONWARD TICKET (SINGAPORE)?

Post by Todtiny » Tue, 26 Feb 2019 2:40 pm

You need to get an answer to your question in advance. You can contact the Embassy of Singapore in your country because every country has its own special agreements. You can find this information on their website too. Good luck!

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 26 Feb 2019 5:42 pm

martincymru wrote:Is onward ticket required when arriving in Singapore by air?

If yes, then does this rule apply irrespective of nationality?

Will the departure airport staff (at check in) forbid you to fly to Singapore if don't have onward ticket? Different countries have different rules?

Anyone been asked by immigration in Singapore for onward ticket? If so what happened when you said "don't have"?

(tourist visa)
Is this yourself?

Or someone else?

If you are on a one way ticket , I would be surprised if the original airline would let you on the plane unless you have some documentation allowing you to stay here.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 27 Feb 2019 2:57 pm

My daughter flew in on a British passport with no onward ticket and no issues. She left and entered Sg several times in a 7 week period before finally picking up a cheap flight to Europe.

I suspect a lot to do with nationality and maybe attitude/appearance.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 27 Feb 2019 3:06 pm

bgd wrote:My daughter flew in on a British passport with no onward ticket and no issues. She left and entered Sg several times in a 7 week period before finally picking up a cheap flight to Europe.

I suspect a lot to do with nationality and maybe attitude/appearance.
She must have given address or something though?

I can't believe an airline would just allow someone to get on the plane one way without some paperwork or contact details for someone in that country. If that person is turned away at the destination then they are responsible for taking them back.

When I moved here , Singapore Airlines staff very particular that I had my IPA for job before letting on the plane , this was 2008 though so maybe things have changed for UK Citizens.

In my view , its the getting on the initial flight that's the issue , not the immigration at the destination.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 27 Feb 2019 10:00 pm

It's up to the airline. I used to get hassled in Hong Kong at the downtown check in for not having an onward ticket and a US passport. I'd always have to show my PR stamp.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 28 Feb 2019 5:16 am

I regularly get questioned (and have to show my NRIC) on the way back to Singapore (return tickets from SG) despite holding a 90 days, no visa required passport.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 28 Feb 2019 9:13 am

As mentioned, you're required to have it but it's entirely up to the airline or immigration to enforce. I'm asked to see my I/C about 25% of the time when I fly back to Singapore. More often by budget airlines.

An anecdote with SQ - I frequently fly to Indonesia on one way tickets, relying on visa on arrival. Budget airlines will ask for the return ticket ~25% of the time before letting me check-in. SQ never does. At one point, I asked during a check in "Do you need my return ticket? It's on Cathay to HK". Check-in staff said "No sir, we don't ask for those things since we see you are Kris Flyer Gold". So, apparently airline status for some reason factors in with the airline checking.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 28 Feb 2019 10:05 am

x9200 wrote:I regularly get questioned (and have to show my NRIC) on the way back to Singapore (return tickets from SG) despite holding a 90 days, no visa required passport.
Yes , check-in desk at UK always ask for proof of residence in Singapore , I forgot that.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 01 Mar 2019 12:05 pm

Barnsley wrote:
She must have given address or something though?

I can't believe an airline would just allow someone to get on the plane one way without some paperwork or contact details for someone in that country. If that person is turned away at the destination then they are responsible for taking them back.

When I moved here , Singapore Airlines staff very particular that I had my IPA for job before letting on the plane , this was 2008 though so maybe things have changed for UK Citizens.

In my view , its the getting on the initial flight that's the issue , not the immigration at the destination.
She would have given my address. This was probably about 3 years ago.

I'm usually asked for proof of residence in Sg before they let me on the plane, so not sure how she did it.

Thinking about it now, she did fly to Thailand during those 7 weeks, so it's possible she did have an onward ticket, just not to her final destination.