Singapore Expats

Another NS problem

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
TW2019

Another NS problem

Post by TW2019 » Fri, 08 Feb 2019 6:33 pm

I was born in Canada, mom holds Thai citizenship and dad holds Singaporean citizenship. I moved from Canada to Singapore at the age of 6. When I moved to Singapore, my parents applied for Singaporean citizenship for myself and I got a certificate of Singapore citizenship. I ended up studying from Primary 1 till Secondary 2 before moving back to Canada at the wish of my mother.
At the age of 21, I received a mail from Singapore to perform the Oath of Renunciation, Allegiance and Loyalty in order to retain my Singaporean citizenship, which I did not do and thus lost my citizenship.
My mom didn't apply for an exit permit or notify CMBP of her intentions to renounce my citizenship. Is it likely that I won't be able to visit Singapore?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Another NS problem

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 09 Feb 2019 7:45 pm

Good question. I don't have a ready answer nor was I able to find one. At least this is a different sort of question and not the normal rephrased ones we normally get. Hopefully Mad Scientist may see this post and reply cause if anybody would know it would be MS.

I don't see any issue if you have black & white stating that your citizenship has be revoked by the Singapore Government. But I would suggest that you ensure that it was revoked by them with some sort of confirmation. If so, I reckon you would have no issue visiting Singapore on a tourist visa, however, you may have issues trying to get some sort of residency, e.g., LTVP or work permits. PR and Citizenship are probably permanently out of reach due to the lack of having done NS.

As noted, lets hope Mad Scientist weighs in on this one.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

TW2019

Post by TW2019 » Sat, 09 Feb 2019 9:32 pm

@sundaymorningstaple

I have confirmation from ICA that I am no longer a citizen of Singapore due to not taking the ORAL. My research online seems to be that I have gotten citizenship from decent and that I am still required to register for NS at 16.5 years old. But I never received a letter from them requiring me to sign up for NS. They had managed to send me a letter to my Canadian address when I turned 21 requesting me to perform the ORAL in order to retain citizenship. So I'm sort of unsure as to whether I needed to serve or not.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 10 Feb 2019 6:58 pm

This problem is two fold

One is MINDEF/CMPB is unable to locate your current residence hence they are not able to issue you, your enlistment letter at the age 16.5

Hence this matter was referred to ICA, to confirm if you are still a Singaporean or otherwise which their last known address on record is Canada
Having said, you must have attained your Identification card when you are at Primary 6 or Secondary 2 before you head off to Canada, hence you are seeing as enjoying Singapore benefits

My guess is you did not apply for Singapore Passport hence the ORAL kicks in

You need to get clearance from ICA and Mindef before you visit Singapore

I hazard to guess but by ignoring procedures might turn against you

Unless you have in writing that you are no longer "required to serve / call for NS liability and required to Oath of Allegiance/ Renunciation" that all bets are off
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!