Singapore Expats

Singapore PR chances based on scheme

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
LeadFoot

Post by LeadFoot » Wed, 09 Jan 2019 12:49 am

Hey there,

I'd like to know if I'd stand a better chance of SPR approval under PTS (skilled migration) vs Spousal sponsorship scheme. Please let me know and any help is appreciated.

1. Indian (male) - 34 years old.
2. Living in SG since Dec 2008 continuously (a touch over 10 years now).
3. PR Rejected in 2010 and 2013. So this will be my 3rd attempt and I've given it full 5 years since last rejection this time.
4. Finance/IT. Current Salary is 205K SGD per annum and currently on PEP. 9 years of Income Tax returned.
5. I've been married for almost 1 year now.
6. My wife is a Singapore Citizen (Chinese) since birth, Doctor (Cardiologist) and her current salary is 192K SGD per annum.

I genuinely think my chances of Residence approval are slim to none but better than the last time around I hope :-) . What would be a better scheme to choose to apply for PR under?

Have a nice week ahead.

Cheers !

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Singapore PR chances based on scheme

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 09 Jan 2019 8:13 am

You should apply under family scheme. You will get it eventually unless there is a real issue in your background that you've not disclosed.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 09 Jan 2019 1:36 pm

LeadFoot wrote:Hey there,

I'd like to know if I'd stand a better chance of SPR approval under PTS (skilled migration) vs Spousal sponsorship scheme. Please let me know and any help is appreciated.

3. PR Rejected in 2010 and 2013. So this will be my 3rd attempt and I've given it full 5 years since last rejection this time.
4. Finance/IT. Current Salary is 205K SGD per annum and currently on PEP. 9 years of Income Tax returned.
6. My wife is a Singapore Citizen (Chinese) since birth, Doctor (Cardiologist) and her current salary is 192K SGD per annum.

I genuinely think my chances of Residence approval are slim to none but better than the last time around I hope :-) . What would be a better scheme to choose to apply for PR under?

Have a nice week ahead.

Cheers !
Apply after 2 years of marriage or after you have a kid under the family sponsorship route. Chances will be high

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Jan 2019 10:55 pm

He'll probably get it under the family ties scheme as Singapore does not like to lose Doctors and as he's married and if he cannot get PR, when his PEP is up, they might just tell Sg to KMA!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Post by GSM8 » Fri, 11 Jan 2019 4:24 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:He'll probably get it under the family ties scheme as Singapore does not like to lose Doctors and as he's married and if he cannot get PR, when his PEP is up, they might just tell Sg to KMA!
Or the ICA may look at it as doctor is unlikely to migrate out of Singapore as licensing/registration in other countries is difficult (vice versa also applies). Therefore OP is likely to remain a stable productive "permanent" resident because of spouse. Even otherwise seems good chance under family ties

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 Jan 2019 10:40 pm

Cardiologist can make much better money outside of Singapore I believe.

Average Wages for a Cardiologist in the US is USD $251,698 per year while most experienced ones make up to USD $427,886 p.a. Considerably more than the USD $142K she is currently drawing. So both of them have something that the US can always use and I reckon a green card wouldn't be all that harad to obtain once the minimum occupancy period is met.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 12 Jan 2019 10:28 pm

I am surprised OP was rejected in 2010, with that kind of salary. 2010 it was getting tough, but people were getting PRs nonetheless. I know people with much lower like 5-6k salary range were approved for PR in those days.

LeadFoot

Post by LeadFoot » Sun, 13 Jan 2019 6:13 pm

PNGMK wrote:You should apply under family scheme. You will get it eventually unless there is a real issue in your background that you've not disclosed.
Thanks for your response PNGMK. The real issue(s) that I think of that I haven't disclosed could be that the 2 rejection letters in the past did not have an apply after date. I'm also an Australia/NZ resident without travel conditions and I can return anytime in the future. This information wasn't explicity asked or provided and I'm not sure if IRAS shares data with ATO. The other obvious issues are my race and pay.

LeadFoot

Post by LeadFoot » Sun, 13 Jan 2019 6:15 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
LeadFoot wrote:Hey there,

Have a nice week ahead.

Cheers !
Apply after 2 years of marriage or after you have a kid under the family sponsorship route. Chances will be high
Thanks for your response mate !

LeadFoot

Post by LeadFoot » Sun, 13 Jan 2019 6:15 pm

GSM8 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:He'll probably get it under the family ties scheme as Singapore does not like to lose Doctors and as he's married and if he cannot get PR, when his PEP is up, they might just tell Sg to KMA!
Or the ICA may look at it as doctor is unlikely to migrate out of Singapore as licensing/registration in other countries is difficult (vice versa also applies). Therefore OP is likely to remain a stable productive "permanent" resident because of spouse. Even otherwise seems good chance under family ties
Thanks for your inputs mate!

LeadFoot

Post by LeadFoot » Sun, 13 Jan 2019 6:25 pm

Thanks for your response. Its unlikely we'd do that as my wife likes her workplace and I'm close to my wifes family. I have a bigger friend circle here than anywhere else. 10 years (of my time in SG) out of the entire 34 years of my life is quite significant and probably contributes to formidable years of my life. Of course the assessor doesn't know this, so my application would be "another application" under their stereotypical lens.

LeadFoot

Post by LeadFoot » Sun, 13 Jan 2019 6:26 pm

GSM8 wrote:
Thanks for your time and response mate!

LeadFoot

Post by LeadFoot » Sun, 13 Jan 2019 6:33 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Cardiologist can make much better money outside of Singapore I believe.

Average Wages for a Cardiologist in the US is USD $251,698 per year while most experienced ones make up to USD $427,886 p.a. Considerably more than the USD $142K she is currently drawing. So both of them have something that the US can always use and I reckon a green card wouldn't be all that harad to obtain once the minimum occupancy period is met.
Thanks for your time sundaymorningstaple. My wife and I do not intend to migrate to the US. Infact I have rejected offers to relocate to NY and California in the past. I don't mind Canada though :). I would love to work in Scandinavia if I do get a chance. I think they are genuinely welcoming and closest to egalitarian.

LeadFoot

Post by LeadFoot » Sun, 13 Jan 2019 6:49 pm

Wd40 wrote:I am surprised OP was rejected in 2010, with that kind of salary. 2010 it was getting tough, but people were getting PRs nonetheless. I know people with much lower like 5-6k salary range were approved for PR in those days.
Thanks for your response wd40. Unfortunately no. I've seen some of my very skilled friends and colleagues (from Switzerland and Japan) with double my (then) pay rejected. The later had a PhD from from John Hopkins and worked on surgical robotics (its a hot skillset even today). He even looked very Chinese :) . SG lost them to China (HK) a few years ago. This is first hand info and no hearsay. It was no surprise to me learn about my rejection (I wasnt anywhere nearly as skilled as them). Having said that, I also know heaps of Indonesians and Malaysians who had their PRs approved (some of them are now SG citizens) with a fraction of pay and diplomas from Unis unheard of.
Last edited by LeadFoot on Sun, 13 Jan 2019 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Sun, 13 Jan 2019 8:02 pm

LeadFoot wrote:Thanks for your response wd40. Unfortunately no. I've seen some of my very skilled friends and colleagues (from Switzerland and Japan) with double my (then) pay rejected. The later had a PhD from from John Hopkins and worked on surgical robotics (its a hot skillset even today). He even looked very Chinese :) . SG lost them to China (HK) a few years ago. This is first hand info and no hearsay. It was no surprise to me learn about my rejection (I wasnt anywhere nearly as skilled as them). Having said that, I also know heaps of Indonesians and Malaysians who had their PRs approved (some of them are now SG citizens) with a fraction of pay and diplomas from Unis unheard of. The formula seems to work!
Yes, you’re right. The formula is working, for many decades.

1) Your very skilled friends and colleagues are in high paying jobs and very mobile. If the HQ requires them to relocate or another even higher paying job comes up in another country, they’ll probably be there in a heart beat. i.e. no staying power.

2) Take a look at the SG Coat of arms and understand what the tiger on the right stands for - Malaysia. Disregard whatever disputes the 2 governments are having, Malaysians are the easiest to integrate into the SG society, as LKY put it in his own words - it’s a people, connected by geography, economics, and ties of kinship. Therefore, those Malaysians who earn less than you and whom you deem to be less educated or qualified may actually have a better chance at PR than you.

3) On diploma or degree from universities unheard of, you have to thank your compatriots who have used fake degrees from degree mills to obtain work pass or PR. ICA has learnt their lesson the hard way and they scrutinize the application more thoroughly.