Singapore Expats Forum

VPN Recommendation

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
unclaimedtrill

Re: VPN Recommendation

Postby unclaimedtrill » Fri, 11 Jan 2019 6:47 pm

londonsg wrote:
Just as a side, if you are more security conscious I'd also recommend ProtonMail (Email) and Tresorit (Cloud file storage). Both have free very basic accounts but I now pay for.

I've been working in IT for a long time but I don't work for any of these companies :)

Hope this helps.

I'm using ProtonMail already, but thanks for recommending Tresorit, never heard of them. I know Proton has a VPN too but haven't tried it. And I agree with your point that free VPNs are definitely a danger, but Surfshark is paid, even though the cost is really low. My guess is that they are building their userbase as a newcomer in the market, that's why. Anyway, they have been reviewed for their security, you can read it here if interested, so they have my trust so far. But it's good there are different providers in the market, you can always choose the one that suits your needs most.

unclaimedtrill

Postby unclaimedtrill » Tue, 15 Jan 2019 3:04 am

Talking about best VPNs the yearly nominations are out

https://www.bestvpn.com/awards/

In this thread, both mentioned Surfshark and AirVPN got an award, Surfshark for best newcomer. I've been guessing that might happen, having in mind their successful audit, nontypical Christmas marketing decision and the price of their plan overall.

AirVPN received an award for best privacy so congrats on that! For me personally, their plans are still too expensive, but I guess if you really care about privacy atop everything else, - the reward speaks for itself.

There are best free VPN awards, I wouldn't trust a free one but the ones picked here might be some to look into.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Jan 2019 9:13 pm

Are you sure you didn't misspell your nick when you registered? 7 posts and 4 of them extolling the virtures of Surfshark with just enough verbal diarrhoea to try to throw a smoke screen up to the average surfer to disguise what you are doing.

I'm watching, unclaimedtroll.....

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 15 Jan 2019 10:22 pm

The shark doth reeketh like 3 day old fish.