Singapore Expats

Are Singapore beds the same size as US beds?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
ayy2

Are Singapore beds the same size as US beds?

Post by ayy2 » Mon, 28 Apr 2008 2:08 pm

Hi,

Are the beds in Singapore the same size as the US? If so, is Queen the typical size? I want to bring my own bedding from the US but want to make sure that it will fit the beds in Singapore.

Thanks!
Last edited by ayy2 on Mon, 28 Apr 2008 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Mon, 28 Apr 2008 2:22 pm

There is no problem here with sheets sizes for queen size beds, problem starts when you want sheets for super king and California kings.

Actual beds (mattress) are very good value here.

If you are going to live in a condo, allot of the lifts cannot accommodate a super king plus size mattresses

Best bet is get super king size linen in the US, and at least you are covered for any size bed here.

Guowei58

Post by Guowei58 » Mon, 28 Apr 2008 2:29 pm

the beds here are smaller, so your sheets should be fine...

nillahcootie

Post by nillahcootie » Mon, 28 Apr 2008 3:45 pm

We brought our own queen sets of linens, however, the queen here is much shorter (a couple of inches maybe three), so if you are tall, the only option is to go king size, so we had to buy all new bedding.

Do bring pillows! the prices for down-filled pillows here seems very high.

yoongf
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yoongf » Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:17 pm

Single matt = 3ft X 6ft
Super Single = 4ft X 6ft
Queen = 5st X 6 ft
King = 6ft X 6Ft

but king can't fit into most lifts, so typically... King = 2 X single Matt.

US sizes.. I believe is about 3 or 6 inch longer.
Problem is.. US fitted sheets will not fit local matteress.

trinity511

Post by trinity511 » Tue, 29 Apr 2008 9:34 am

They have both European/American and Asian size beds and bedding here in singapore. We brought our king size bed with us from Australia and so long as you are aware of the right size you can buy correctly.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Tue, 29 Apr 2008 9:41 am

trinity511 wrote:They have both European/American and Asian size beds and bedding here in singapore. We brought our king size bed with us from Australia and so long as you are aware of the right size you can buy correctly.
True, but foreign sizes cost much, much more money.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Tue, 29 Apr 2008 9:47 am

nillahcootie wrote:
Here is a little secret, for all your duvets, down filled mattress pads, and lovely down filled giant heavy pillows, next time you stay at a five star hotel, tell the house keeper you would like to buy a whole set of new pillows, and other bits of bedding,.
As pillow selling is not their core business, they sell it for what they paid for it, which is normally a lot cheaper than the retail shops, as hotels buy in bulk.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Tue, 29 Apr 2008 9:53 am

QRM wrote:
nillahcootie wrote:
Here is a little secret, for all your duvets, down filled mattress pads, and lovely down filled giant heavy pillows, next time you stay at a five star hotel, tell the house keeper you would like to buy a whole set of new pillows, and other bits of bedding,.
As pillow selling is not their core business, they sell it for what they paid for it, which is normally a lot cheaper than the retail shops, as hotels buy in bulk.
Yep, you can literally walk right into the gift shop at the Four Seasons and buy a mattress. Been there, done that.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:11 am

road.not.taken wrote:
QRM wrote:
nillahcootie wrote:
Yep, you can literally walk right into the gift shop at the Four Seasons and buy a mattress. Been there, done that.
If you really want to be cheezy, say you are a Mr. Right Chump, find a hotel with the same intials, ie get your sheets from Ritz Carlton, You can have your own RC mongrame sheets to match your quitled velvet slippers.

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pakjohn » Tue, 02 Jun 2009 6:16 pm

If you really want to be cheezy, say you are a Mr. Right Chump, find a hotel with the same intials, ie get your sheets from Ritz Carlton, You can have your own RC mongrame sheets to match your quitled velvet slippers.
lol! :lol:
Pakjohn

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Nath21 » Wed, 03 Jun 2009 5:04 pm

We went to Ikea to buy bedsheets and doonas (duvest) and they seem to be different sizes to the beds but not a big difference. We did notice all the beds here that we tried out in the hotel, stores and in condos we looked at had very hard beds. Maybe the sample size was small but we ended up getting a very thick mattress protector for both beds. They cost anywhere between $150 -$300. Like the idea of the hotel let me know if any have NB initialed onto them.
Last edited by Nath21 on Wed, 03 Jun 2009 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Jun 2009 5:31 pm

I believe the local mattress is about 6" shorter the the US/European version. Also the width of the various queen & king sizes are slightly narrower as well. I believe the beds sold at picket & rail are US sized however.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

natalietarno

Re: Are Singapore beds the same size as US beds?

Post by natalietarno » Fri, 11 Jan 2019 8:44 am

The short answer is NO, queen size in Singapore is NOT the same size as queen size in the US. The width is very slightly smaller, but the length is 5 inches shorter in Singapore than in the US.

FITTED SHEETS: If you use a super roomy fitted sheet, you can get away with it.

BED FRAMES: But the queen BED FRAMES in Singapore will not fit a US queen mattress. They are too short.
Hamsterwheelmom