Singapore Expats Forum

Are Singapore beds the same size as US beds?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

ayy2
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon, 28 Apr 2008

Are Singapore beds the same size as US beds?

Postby ayy2 » Mon, 28 Apr 2008 2:08 pm

Hi,

Are the beds in Singapore the same size as the US? If so, is Queen the typical size? I want to bring my own bedding from the US but want to make sure that it will fit the beds in Singapore.

Thanks!
Last edited by ayy2 on Mon, 28 Apr 2008 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
QRM
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon, 17 Oct 2005
Location: Nassim hill

Postby QRM » Mon, 28 Apr 2008 2:22 pm

There is no problem here with sheets sizes for queen size beds, problem starts when you want sheets for super king and California kings.

Actual beds (mattress) are very good value here.

If you are going to live in a condo, allot of the lifts cannot accommodate a super king plus size mattresses

Best bet is get super king size linen in the US, and at least you are covered for any size bed here.

Guowei58
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue, 15 Jan 2008

Postby Guowei58 » Mon, 28 Apr 2008 2:29 pm

the beds here are smaller, so your sheets should be fine...

nillahcootie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon, 23 Apr 2007

Postby nillahcootie » Mon, 28 Apr 2008 3:45 pm

We brought our own queen sets of linens, however, the queen here is much shorter (a couple of inches maybe three), so if you are tall, the only option is to go king size, so we had to buy all new bedding.

Do bring pillows! the prices for down-filled pillows here seems very high.

yoongf
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue, 20 Jul 2004
Location: Dunearn/Chancery

Postby yoongf » Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:17 pm

Single matt = 3ft X 6ft
Super Single = 4ft X 6ft
Queen = 5st X 6 ft
King = 6ft X 6Ft

but king can't fit into most lifts, so typically... King = 2 X single Matt.

US sizes.. I believe is about 3 or 6 inch longer.
Problem is.. US fitted sheets will not fit local matteress.

trinity511
Member
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed, 07 Mar 2007

Postby trinity511 » Tue, 29 Apr 2008 9:34 am

They have both European/American and Asian size beds and bedding here in singapore. We brought our king size bed with us from Australia and so long as you are aware of the right size you can buy correctly.

User avatar
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sat, 06 Oct 2007

Postby road.not.taken » Tue, 29 Apr 2008 9:41 am

trinity511 wrote:They have both European/American and Asian size beds and bedding here in singapore. We brought our king size bed with us from Australia and so long as you are aware of the right size you can buy correctly.


True, but foreign sizes cost much, much more money.

User avatar
QRM
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon, 17 Oct 2005
Location: Nassim hill

Postby QRM » Tue, 29 Apr 2008 9:47 am

nillahcootie wrote:
Do bring pillows! the prices for down-filled pillows here seems very high.


Here is a little secret, for all your duvets, down filled mattress pads, and lovely down filled giant heavy pillows, next time you stay at a five star hotel, tell the house keeper you would like to buy a whole set of new pillows, and other bits of bedding,.
As pillow selling is not their core business, they sell it for what they paid for it, which is normally a lot cheaper than the retail shops, as hotels buy in bulk.

User avatar
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sat, 06 Oct 2007

Postby road.not.taken » Tue, 29 Apr 2008 9:53 am

QRM wrote:
nillahcootie wrote:
Do bring pillows! the prices for down-filled pillows here seems very high.


Here is a little secret, for all your duvets, down filled mattress pads, and lovely down filled giant heavy pillows, next time you stay at a five star hotel, tell the house keeper you would like to buy a whole set of new pillows, and other bits of bedding,.
As pillow selling is not their core business, they sell it for what they paid for it, which is normally a lot cheaper than the retail shops, as hotels buy in bulk.


Yep, you can literally walk right into the gift shop at the Four Seasons and buy a mattress. Been there, done that.

User avatar
QRM
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon, 17 Oct 2005
Location: Nassim hill

Postby QRM » Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:11 am

road.not.taken wrote:
QRM wrote:
nillahcootie wrote:
Do bring pillows! the prices for down-filled pillows here seems very high.


Here is a little secret, for all your duvets, down filled mattress pads, and lovely down filled giant heavy pillows, next time you stay at a five star hotel, tell the house keeper you would like to buy a whole set of new pillows, and other bits of bedding,.
As pillow selling is not their core business, they sell it for what they paid for it, which is normally a lot cheaper than the retail shops, as hotels buy in bulk.


Yep, you can literally walk right into the gift shop at the Four Seasons and buy a mattress. Been there, done that.


If you really want to be cheezy, say you are a Mr. Right Chump, find a hotel with the same intials, ie get your sheets from Ritz Carlton, You can have your own RC mongrame sheets to match your quitled velvet slippers.

User avatar
pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon, 29 Sep 2008
Location: Jamaica

Postby pakjohn » Tue, 02 Jun 2009 6:16 pm

If you really want to be cheezy, say you are a Mr. Right Chump, find a hotel with the same intials, ie get your sheets from Ritz Carlton, You can have your own RC mongrame sheets to match your quitled velvet slippers.


lol! :lol:
Pakjohn

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed, 20 May 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby Nath21 » Wed, 03 Jun 2009 5:04 pm

We went to Ikea to buy bedsheets and doonas (duvest) and they seem to be different sizes to the beds but not a big difference. We did notice all the beds here that we tried out in the hotel, stores and in condos we looked at had very hard beds. Maybe the sample size was small but we ended up getting a very thick mattress protector for both beds. They cost anywhere between $150 -$300. Like the idea of the hotel let me know if any have NB initialed onto them.
Last edited by Nath21 on Wed, 03 Jun 2009 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35378
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Jun 2009 5:31 pm

I believe the local mattress is about 6" shorter the the US/European version. Also the width of the various queen & king sizes are slightly narrower as well. I believe the beds sold at picket & rail are US sized however.

User avatar
natalietarno
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 05 Jun 2013
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Are Singapore beds the same size as US beds?

Postby natalietarno » Fri, 11 Jan 2019 8:44 am

The short answer is NO, queen size in Singapore is NOT the same size as queen size in the US. The width is very slightly smaller, but the length is 5 inches shorter in Singapore than in the US.

FITTED SHEETS: If you use a super roomy fitted sheet, you can get away with it.

BED FRAMES: But the queen BED FRAMES in Singapore will not fit a US queen mattress. They are too short.
Hamsterwheelmom


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests